R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #151
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
The internet is finally another contibuting factor to the changing face of racing. Yes Pro-style hobby shops can't compete many times against the on-line retailers' prices. But you can't blame the customer for this. This is due to the most simple of Economic principles. We have unlimited wants and limited resources. People will naturally try to stretch thier dollar to get the most for it. Pro-style shops are simply an obsolete business model in a world where impulse buyers can purchase items at 3am in the morning from an online retailer and have it in their hand in as little as 24 hrs. On that same level, on-line specialty or mass shops will never put the Diversified hobby shop out of business. They simply have a larger Target market and therefore will cross-sell a whole lot more products due to their INMENSELY diverse client base and their best asset of all, a show room floor where people can get to touch, see and feel the product, (and let their good 'ol impulse buying instinct take control of themselves.)
I will respectfully have to disagree. As an individual who works part-time in a hobby store, I can give you at least ten examples of people who walk into a local hobby store, do all their research and ask the RC guy 10,000 questions, then go home and order their Savage on-line because it's $6.00 cheaper. So I could have been selling a helicopter, or park flyer to an actual customer, and making the store money, but I wasted my time talking to some dude who wanted to save $6 online. I have no problem with distributors offering on-line shopping, I just think they need to stay within the MAP pricing most ditributors lay out. It's definitely an unfair advantage for them, that does in fact, hurt LHS sales.

And the best part about people like that is when they have an issue with their product, the first place they go is the LHS. Our store does service work, and our policy is $15/hour if you bought it here, $50/hour if ya didn't. We break-in nitro vehicles purchased in our store for free, $75 if purchased elsewhere.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #152
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oops, double post.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #153
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer View Post
What is gowning things?
LOL!!! you must be a proof reader... God how I need someone like you in my life....

Growing things... as in corn, flowers, grass, or a good base for on-road track...
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
Guys, ROAR has 2 million insurance for a whole 68.00 (or somthing like that) per year, per location... This is what I'm using for the Bass Pro Series and was cleared by the Corp office in MO for us to run once a month in MS. It is simple, the deal, the racers need to join ROAR for the year at cost of 30.00. this is simple...
While some seasoned racers will fuss about paying ROAR dues, they will have to accept it as an insurance neccessity to have a place to race.

However, even with an insurance policy in hand, there is still a lack of temporary facilities in the tri-state area. Parking lots everywhere, but many businesses don't want the hassle, for whatever reason. Furthermore, there is a lack of hobby shops for potential customers to see on a regular basis. Not to mention, the best use of this thread ....

....is to get ideas geared towards keeping permanent race facilities open to the public, IMO. I'm pm'ing Ray Murray to get him into this thread. He's a great promoter, but sadly lost the race site that had a following for some ten years.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #155
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
LOL!!! you must be a proof reader... God how I need someone like you in my life....

Growing things... as in corn, flowers, grass, or a good base for on-road track...
Not a proof reader, just a very slow reader and even slower typist.

By the way, I thought you were planning on growing something else.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #156
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If the big issue for hobby shops is the likes of Great Planes and Tower then they should try and source all of their consumables from boutique's. If my local Hobby shop/track stocked Boutique cells, motors, tools, etc etc (at boutique prices) I would buy it in a heartbeat over extortionately priced lower quality (or just marginal quality) items.

Take my setup I have promatch cells, I get them for half of what muchmore want for team packs, 2/3rds the price of Trinity team packs, my motors are ProCO27, Brood CO27, Kwik CO27. Im sure the boutique guys would love to have a local track stock their merchandise and would be open to terms based on volume. This would effectively close out the likes of Tower and the rest of the fat cat distributors.

Unfortunately the only catch 22 is that some stores/tracks may abuse this to jack prices up which would not be terribly astute.
GCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #157
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer View Post
Not a proof reader, just a very slow reader and even slower typist.

By the way, I thought you were planning on growing something else.
I type pretty fast, but I speed read... So I'm a bad proofer...

But it is all good... I think this is has been a great exchange of ideas and information. What works in one area of the country will not always work some where else.... A lot of good ideas and things to watch for...
Old 07-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #158
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...on the issue of ROAR Insurance - here is a way I saw for some to accomplish this...

ROAR Club/Track membership is really inexpensive compared to a insurance policy from somebody like a K&K or Lloyd's of London or someone...even with the $79.00 or what ever amount is for the 'site certificate' some locations may require, you are looking at what...just over $100.00 a year. vs. probably over $1000.00 a year for a non rc related policy.

My suggestion is/was to a local club that THEY also paid the membership for their local racers (FIRST TIME ROAR MEMBERS - Renewals and/or travelling racers would not count)

The LOCAL Club would then HOLD those membership cards - and the named members would have NO RIGHTS TO THEM except at the LOCAL track - and if they wanted to go to a different track that required ROAR membership they would have to BUY their card from the sponsoring Track/Club.

The LOCAL track could re-coop their investment in the membership card at 2 - 3 bucks per race added to the entry fee until they are paid, then present them to the racer as well.
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #159
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
...on the issue of ROAR Insurance - here is a way I saw for some to accomplish this...

ROAR Club/Track membership is really inexpensive compared to a insurance policy from somebody like a K&K or Lloyd's of London or someone...even with the $79.00 or what ever amount is for the 'site certificate' some locations may require, you are looking at what...just over $100.00 a year. vs. probably over $1000.00 a year for a non rc related policy.

My suggestion is/was to a local club that THEY also paid the membership for their local racers (FIRST TIME ROAR MEMBERS - Renewals and/or travelling racers would not count)

The LOCAL Club would then HOLD those membership cards - and the named members would have NO RIGHTS TO THEM except at the LOCAL track - and if they wanted to go to a different track that required ROAR membership they would have to BUY their card from the sponsoring Track/Club.

The LOCAL track could re-coop their investment in the membership card at 2 - 3 bucks per race added to the entry fee until they are paid, then present them to the racer as well.

Interesting idea, but really if you spend x on AE car, Xray car, etc.... you can part with 30.00 for the year... That is less then the price of a stock motor....

Just so everyone knows, I looked at insurance outside of ROAR because I wanted to run a money race.... the cost.... hold your shorts.... 800.00 per race for 1 million of coverage. Yep, 800.00 per race.... for 70.00 bucks a year, you can run as many times at that location your want and you have 2 million in coverage... which is was the min. from Bass Pro, so if I did not use ROAR, that is 1600.00 per race before I got penny back on the investment I made for all the equipment, and I do not have a LHS supporting this... Not ONE.... I asked, but NOT one wanted to be part of a racing program unless it was that there track, only 1 LHS has a track the other two do not have a track... go figure that one out....
Old 07-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #160
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

FWIW, the shop on the corner added coverage to their commercial policy for the parking lot races for 50 or 100 per event. I don't remember the exact figure, but it wasn't much and the store just eats it once a month. It might even be 50-100 for a whole year.

I'll try and get a more exact figure tonight.

Quote:
Interesting idea, but really if you spend x on AE car, Xray car, etc.... you can part with 30.00 for the year... That is less then the price of a stock motor....

Just so everyone knows, I looked at insurance outside of ROAR because I wanted to run a money race.... the cost.... hold your shorts.... 800.00 per race for 1 million of coverage. Yep, 800.00 per race.... for 70.00 bucks a year, you can run as many times at that location your want and you have 2 million in coverage... which is was the min. from Bass Pro, so if I did not use ROAR, that is 1600.00 per race before I got penny back on the investment I made for all the equipment, and I do not have a LHS supporting this... Not ONE.... I asked, but NOT one wanted to be part of a racing program unless it was that there track, only 1 LHS has a track the other two do not have a track... go figure that one out....
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #161
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
FWIW, the shop on the corner added coverage to their commercial policy for the parking lot races for 50 or 100 per event. I don't remember the exact figure, but it wasn't much and the store just eats it once a month. It might even be 50-100 for a whole year.

I'll try and get a more exact figure tonight.

I agree, but Bass Pro would not do this... they made me provide proof.....
Old 07-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #162
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
I agree, but Bass Pro would not do this... they made me provide proof.....
I can only imagine how fun it would be to get them to do it...LOL
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #163
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
I can only imagine how fun it would be to get them to do it...LOL
Now that we are racing at Bass Pro once a month and they have asked to race more... I think it would be possible, but with ROAR in place no need. I know some do not like it, but that is the way it is....
Old 07-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #164
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
I'm pm'ing Ray Murray to get him into this thread. He's a great promoter, but sadly lost the race site that had a following for some ten years.
Hey everyone....yeah, I already been keeping up with this thread, but haven't had time to post....

As it turnes out, seems like there is a plan in place to keep Horsham open, and I think I can speak for everyone that it will be supported heavily if Brad and company can pull it off....

I have yet to make it there, but I do keep tabs online, and will gladly help in any way I can to keep racing going there....

We desperatly need to keep a track of this caliper open in our area, and I like all the ideas thusfar on this thread. As racers, we need to understand "all the dynamics" of spending your race dollars at any track/hobbyshop.

If Horsham can remain open, let's make them the "poster child" for what it takes to keep a premier facility open....
Ray Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 AM   #165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Not always true - to some an extra $30.00 to their racing budget may KILL IT - or at least cause them to miss a race one month or something.

I race with a lot of guys who only buy USED equipment and race for fun.

The $300-400 they do spend extends them almost beyond what their 'hobby budget' will allow - and that doesn't include spending the day at the track once or twice a month - a new set of tires a couple times a year - a couple NEW or GOOD USED battery packs every 5-6 months...

I'm not advocating that the "TRACK" promoter pay 100% of the membership - but instead include the price of the membership into the entry fee over the period of the year. Offer a discount to those who are already ROAR members, or who pay their ROAR fees in full on their own...but even if the track/club DID pay the full ROAR membership on 20+ members it would be cheaper than the alternative insurance in most cases...
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote