R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2001, 05:56 PM   #76

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I'm talking about ESC caps. Even in stock, I use the small cap supplied with the cyclones. In mod, you will notice a difference, it gives you more punch, but storing and releasing energy.

Troy-Nocak sends them free of charge. And I don't really hav an "LHS" It is 75 minutes away, AND I can't drive yet
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 07:27 PM   #77
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

On the subject of service: In the past ( seven or so years ago), I owned all Tekin gear. I once sent in a Tekin to have new wires soldered on it. Back in the day, they were great. Now their service isn't so good. It is really unfortunate because they did make some great products.

Now I own all Novak electronics (Cyclone TC, XXL and Millenium) and I find their people to be friendly. I called for a new Cyclone case and they sent me one for free. That was real nice. I also asked when they would offer an upgrade for existing Cyclone TC owners to upgrade to the TC2 and they told me in about six months. So I guess I will wait until then. I have had great experience with both companies products and service.

Now for a question related to this forum. I race stock, carpet indoors. I am thinking of buying another speed control. The Keyence seems to pricey, but I need something real punchy. Any suggestions. Thanks.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:32 AM   #78
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

ok guys what does it mean IF i plugged in a cap and the car went slower .....
it a cap sold by LHS ..
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 02:58 AM   #79
Regional Moderator

Ty : Buy a Quantum or GMV12XC.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 06:09 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_Webb
What is the Big Blue Cap that I see on the Quantum ESC. I know you have to get these only if you run Mod but I don't know what the specs are on the Caps. Does anyone know this Information. I think I should get one before I try out this 7x2 Fantom motor I got.
Um, you're talking about the 'Worlds option pack'. It's an optional bag with a big cap, a small heatsink a some other little hardware. It's intended to be used with 'insane' winds (like your 7x2 puppie) but there's a slight advantage using them with 'normal winds' 10-12 turns.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 07:31 AM   #81
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Holy ear guy: I must say that is surprising to hear. I don't hear very much about Tekin speedos breaking "in the middle of a race". At least now I can say I have heard of it happening. There are still people who service the Tekin units......just not Tekin

Speedo: Hey, believe me I understand how good it feels to have good customer service. All I was saying is that some of the post I read earlier seemed to suggest that it was o.k. for the stuff to fail, just because the support is good. And I said I would prefer that the unit never break down in the first place. But, if their service is that spectacular, I can see why people would remain so loyal. As for the avatar-I love that game on PS2, so I made it avatar. I might switch over to my San francisco "49ers" avatar once the football season really gets going.

Fatdoggy: I can certainly understand why people wouldn't want to leave a company that done right for them. Thats fine. What I'm talking about is how people on this board, literally go crazy if you dare question their favorite company. We've all seen it happen. It starts off with "I saw somebody break so and so part on this brand of car" and the next thing you know someone is screaming about how it only broke because that person can't drive and your an a__hole for saying that this car or that car or this company or that company might actually have a flaw. Then the next thing you know the thread has to be shut down or something. I just don't get it! Unless you helped build a company from the ground up, why would you care if someone else questions that company? I just think some people take this stuff too seriously. I mean after all this are still only toys. Yeah, very high speed, very fun, and very expensive toys....but toys non the less.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:58 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Wink

Darkside - Your right there, sounds like the tc3 arms saga.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 10:40 AM   #83
Tech Apprentice

the only bad thing I can think of is that novak didn't take in consideration the "room" factor on a chassis. it seems as everyone else is making smaller esc's when they (novak)
don't see that updating usually means, better performance, more efficient,and SMALLER. the cap makes the tc2 a monster in size. try mounting one on the xxx-s. I did it but it gets in the way.
holy ear guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 11:31 AM   #84
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I remember now what the guy from the old board had a problem with. He thought that Novak should have offered a free adapter cord considering the C2/TC2 use a different harnest for the Pit Wizard. He contacted Novak and they blew him off. Its a small thing to be sure, but he thought that they should have offered it free if they were going to make it incompatible with the current Pit Wizard. Personally I agreed with him, but apparently Novak didn't. A simple difference of opinion. Hopefully he didn't turn into someone who hates Novak because of it, but it seems that it doesn't take much more than that for someone to start bashing a company.

holy ear guy: I'm still trying to figure out that cap thing too. How they went from planning on making it internal...to.....leaving it external AND making it bigger, I don't know. But, your right it is time to get smaller. The Cyclone used to be small, but that was compared to the Tekin G12 and G10 and LRP V6 and V7.1. But compared to the GMV12, LRP Quantum, and Keyence ZeroV xtreme, its not all that small at all. But, the rallying cry has always been that it is the most programmable. True, true...but, when you walk through the pits how many guys(or gals) do you actually see programing the speedo at the track with the Pit Wizard. In comparison how often do you hear some one say let me take a little drag break out, or change min. brake or frequency on the stand alone programmable units. Maybe not often since people don't change the settings all the time, but its more often than you see people with a Pit Wizard.

But, right now Novak is on top of the industry. So they don't neccesarily have to make the change until they want to. Also like I said they seemed to be focused on the chargers right now. Like the new Millenium with the Pit Wizard built in. Now thats pretty neat!

Last edited by Darkseid; 08-30-2001 at 11:33 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 11:58 AM   #85
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to TC3Racer

I use the Novak Atom so I realy dont have a size issue. I would not be complaining though, I have seen a sr in a tc3, now thats cramped.
TC3Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 03:17 PM   #86
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by holy ear guy
the only bad thing I can think of is that novak didn't take in consideration the "room" factor on a chassis. it seems as everyone else is making smaller esc's when they (novak)
don't see that updating usually means, better performance, more efficient,and SMALLER. the cap makes the tc2 a monster in size. try mounting one on the xxx-s. I did it but it gets in the way.
Ear Guy - I will try and get you a picture later, but i would ShoeGoe the Cap behind the ESC. Let it sit on the chassis "rail" and rest it against the speedo box. Leave a little room between the two. Then coat the cap with Shoe Goo and press it on. It works great, and shoe goo peals right off if you want to remove it.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 04:32 PM   #87

One of the cases on one of my cyclones is cracked...I might ask for a new one!
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 06:13 PM   #88
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to TC3Racer

Arrg. My atom just died today. Looks like I will have to send it in to novak or drive over there. I get servo power but nothing to the motors. Exact same thing that happened to my evx.
TC3Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 08:41 AM   #89
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

I have a LRP Quantum and I am a neat freak when it comes to Wiring. I have a XXX-S and decided to redo my Electronic Setup. I was wondering since I will never buy a Servo that requires the 7.2V Connection to the Speed controller, if I could cut the Blue Servo Wire coming from the Speed Controller and have no Ill effects. Also I was looking at RCCA of Jasons XXX-S and I like how he Soldered his motor Wires. The Negative is soldered under the Solder point on the Speed Controller and the Positive wire goes all the way through the top and bottom of the Solder Point ont he Speed Controller. I was thinking of trying this. Do you think he had to do something special to Solder his Wires like this. It makes that area back there so much cleaner. Also does anyone know if shortening the wires going to the receiver will hurt the Speed Controller and Servo?

Thanks

Mike Webb
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 11:47 AM   #90
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
Just so you know, you wouldn't have any problems getting GM serviced. Their serviced by HorizonHobbies right here in the U.S.
Not bashing here, I sent a GMV12 in for repair to Horizon. Not a very good experience. First they couldn't find my name, then couldn't find my ESC, after about a week I called back and they said oh yeah we mailed it back two days ago. I asked what was wrong with it and how much, they couldn't answer my question. Get my ESC back unrepaired with note saying "not economical to repair". BTW the package was addressed to the right address but I have no idea who the person that it was addressed to is. Right address wrong customer.
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote