R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2001, 11:51 AM   #61
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

PaulP: then let me apologize to Speedo, although I don't think I said anything too bad. I choose to replace my tekin speedos with a GmV12. I have since moved back to my Tekin G10 because I like that the breaks are nice and consistent. I could never get the feel I wanted out of my V12 breaks.

TSR6: Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Steady reliable performance. But, it seems that some people expect their Novak equipment to fail, but its ok because they have good service. NOT!

Like I said I had a ExplorerII, I believe the first of Novak's speedos that didn't need a Schottky diode. It worked great, just as anything should if you pay for it. You have point about how many people have Novak, so that may be why I hear so much about the service. BUT, in the mid-90's no one sold more speedos than Tekin and you still didn't hear much about them needing service. Hell in the full scale world, look how many people own Honda Accords, yet that doesn't result in hearing people constantly talk about getting them fixed. But, I do see what your saying.

Like I said, I am sure most of what I have heard has been about the Millenium, so maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion.

It could be that I'm still jealous that Tekin had horrible ownership who ran it into the ground, but Novak is still around. I'm not sure thats it, but I wouldn't deny it!
Old 08-29-2001, 12:10 PM   #62
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Novak is stable and reliable in my opinion. The ONLY reason i didn't get the Millenium Pro is that it isnt availible yet, and i need a charger Now! So i got a PitBull w/ Novak N-Power.

As for the speedos, sure some do fail. Just like some Honda's fail.. or whatever. Nobody can be perfect.

Sure, you hear about people ( 70% of the time kids ) with blown speedos. They say "Oh it failed, i sent it in to get it fixed." What they Didn't tell you is that they ran it though a puddle, and they had a 9 turn motor on it ( lets just say for the sake of an example that it had a 13T limit ). You don't always hear the whole thing, but that gives you an image that the product "sucks."

I'm guilty of beleiving what i hear too. I was told that the TC3 was "fragile" when it came out. I almost got one, but i stuck with my Pro2 because i was told it was fragile. I have only seen 2 TC3's break an arm... ever... and those were pretty nice hits.

Don't beleive everything..
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 01:07 PM   #63
Regional Moderator

Well I don't believe everything I hear. But, when someone who owns a product says they have had problems with it, why shouldn't I believe them? Why would they lie about something they spent their hard earned money on. All those people who say that the display went out on the Millenium can't all be lying.....can they? All the TC3 owners at our track who show you the same part breaking on all their cars can't be lying.......can they? Yes, they can, but why would they all lie? On the same note, all those people who swear by Novak's products and services can't be wrong(I should know considering I owned and was very happy with my Novak) and all the people who swear by TC3 durablity can't be wrong. So where is the true, its somewhere in the middle. Its that simple.

Its becoming apparent, though, that your one of those people who are life and death loyal to Novak that I was trying my best NOT to offend. I mean I was trying to say that you were right about how your Novak stuff is stable and reliable and that you were right for expecting it to be that way. Yet, somehow you took it as an insult to the all-mighty Novak and now all I do is believe everything I hear.

And since your a moderator or administrator or something. I'll just leave it alone before I end up in trouble or recieving a private message or something. Sorry man. Your right theres a perfectly good reason that so many people send their Novak equipment in to be serviced and that so many Tekin owners never had to.

I'll tell you what though, before I do leave it alone. I just don't get why people form these bonds between themselves and a company they buy stuff from. I could care less if someone questions how good Tekin is or any other company I've bought stuff from. Whats the big deal. These companies don't even know who we are and really don't care. My original question was simply, "why so many people send in their Novak equipment to be serviced" And somehow that was turned into I believe everything I hear.......OK, Whatever.

If its one thing I should have learned from these boards by now is "don't come between people and their favorite company......."

Once again sorry to anybody I offended by quesitoning Novak. Peace

Last edited by Darkseid; 08-29-2001 at 01:09 PM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 01:30 PM   #64
RCTech Member #2

Look, I'm not "diehard" Novak, nor am i only for one company anymore ( i used to be Mr. HPI so to speak.. then i opened my eyes).

In my mind, i don't see a reason to get any other ESC than the Novak TC2. It comes with 3 proflies, a ton of features, external soldering ( a big plus in my mind ), and it can be used with PitWizard software. I also looked at a Quantum, and a GM. The GM isnt as programable, and doesnt come "setup" like the TC2 where you can use Stock, Mod or Worlds profile. I also thought about the possibility that it would be hard to get GM serviced ( since it is in Germany ). Then i looked at the Quantum, I can get a Novak TC2 cheaper, and i didnt see any reason to get the LRP.

You will not get in trouble for posting your mind like what you are. Just as long as you don't start to cause problems. Stating your opinion is good.. Stating your opinion w/ offensive words & nothing to back it up is not good.

I'm just feel Novak is one of the best products out here, and does not have a problem with durability. If something comes out that i feel is better, maybe i will get it.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
Old 08-29-2001, 01:53 PM   #65
Regional Moderator

O.k. if you say so. Still I'll just leave that whole reliablity thing alone for now.

As for the TC2...

Just so you know, you wouldn't have any problems getting GM serviced. Their serviced by HorizonHobbies right here in the U.S.

I would say the TC2 is good too, but not if you already own the CycloneTC. theres just no point. There aren't enough new features to justify the purchase. Their biggest selling point was that the power cap would be internal, remember the ads that showed it that way. Then they dumped that idea and ended up making the power cap even bigger than the original! Plus the whole thing with needing to buy an additional adapter cord just to use your old pit wizard.

I see what your saying with the good points of the TC2. But really the truth is that Novak made no significant improvements. Not that they needed to, the TC was already good. But, don't make cosmetic changes and call it a whole new esc.

Did you consider the Keyence Zero Extreme? Now that is one very programable speedcontrol. But, honestly from what I have seen, most people pick one of the existing profiles on the Cyclone/TC and go with that. Hardly anyone actually takes the time to program in their own settings. To me that makes the new speedcontrols with onboard programability alot more useful than the Cyclone/TC/TC2. Add to that they are smaller AND use a smaller power cap. Well except for the Quantum, that is one huge cap on that puppy!Just my thoughts.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:03 PM   #66
RCTech Member #2

It is redesigned. The X'2 versions have less resistance, case size smaller & the unit is lighter.

If i had an original Cyclone or Cyclone TC, i would not upgrade, that is true.
RCTech Member #2

Old 08-29-2001, 02:05 PM   #67
Regional Moderator

I wonder if Novak is secretly working on a true successor to the Cyclone. That would be cool!

It seems most of their effort has been focused on the charger segment lately though.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:07 PM   #68
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Smile

People usually only form a bond so to speak with a product or producer because they have had a good experience with them and they don't want to risk buying something that there not sure if they will like it or not, so they buy something that is from the same company and hope it is of the same quality or better. And as for the zero v extreme it is more expensive then the quantum. Most racers run big caps like the ones used with the cyclones as security just in case. cheers.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 04:04 PM   #69
Tech Apprentice

Ive owned:
millenium/4owners and still working
xxl
xxl
cyclone:blue/3owners still working
cyclone:tc/2owners still working
Tc2
oh and a tekin g9 guess what it broke in the middle of a race.
novaks stuff still works to this day.
oh and I wont buy anything that I know won't be able to be serviced promptly
I call it insurance for your race gear
holy ear guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 04:48 PM   #70

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Darkside- um, nice avatar

It's not so much novak's great repair policy, but that every time I've called, the people have been really nice. Of course I could just be getting nice people when i call novak, and evil ones when I call Trinity Another thing that is so nice about novak, is that if you need some caps, or diodes, call them and THEY WILL SEND YOU SOME! I've had them send me about 3 caps, and they did so without complaint, in my opinion that is great service. It is alot nicer to call a company and talk to a nice, friendly person than some grump geezer who would rather be elsewhere. I imagine alot of novak failures are due to people doing things I shouldn't. I actually have never sent a cyclone in, I thought I had, but I haven't. I sent a mercury in and they gave me a new one for something like 17 bucks...

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:02 PM   #71
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to TC3Racer

Do caps limit the amp draw of the motor so that you can not go as fast as the motor will take. I think this is a good idea on certian tracks.
TC3Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:15 PM   #72
RCTech Member #2

No, the Caps reduce arcing between the comm & the brushes. By doing that it also reduces radio noise that the arcing would normally create.
RCTech Member #2

Old 08-29-2001, 05:29 PM   #73
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to TC3Racer

oh. hmmm. I will call up novak and have them send me some.
TC3Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:35 PM   #74
RCTech Member #2

Your LHS should have CAPs, usually in a bag of 3,6 or 9.

Motors like the GM3 & P2k have them built in.
RCTech Member #2

Old 08-29-2001, 05:54 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

What is the Big Blue Cap that I see on the Quantum ESC. I know you have to get these only if you run Mod but I don't know what the specs are on the Caps. Does anyone know this Information. I think I should get one before I try out this 7x2 Fantom motor I got.

Thanks

Mike Web
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote