Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2001, 09:58 PM   #46
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
Man that sucks. Last lap and smoking pours out of your car just before the finish line. Some other guy blew his GM3 today also. Saw him at HobbyTown, he was going to send it back or something.
Not at the finish.. or the main... just a qualifier..

I wish him luck, Trinity won't admit to any problems. If they do, i have 2 arms to send in!!

The Pilots are nice, cheap, and will last a long time, but arent the "good stuff" ...nice.. but not good. Those are best for the people we have come in who want something more for thier rustler... or someone who doesnt want a racing motor. Even though you could gear the heck out of them, if you blow, you arent out anything.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 07:32 AM   #47
Tech Initiate

So are you what motor are you going to get? Or are you going to stay with the GM3. P2K and Mvp are more forgiving on gear ratios.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 07:58 AM   #48
RCTech Member #2

Yeah, i know... Most likely... i will get a P2K.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:25 AM   #49
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys

I read the contents of this thread to see if my questions could be asked and I didn't really find the answer so here goes.

I am in the market for a ESC. Now I live in Canada so you guys should feel lucky. The Quantum is $300 the TC2 is $250 as is the LRP7.1. I haven't even seen the Keyance here yet.So I think you see why I am wanting to make sure I get the right one. It has been a while since I bought a Speedo, but my tekin's are finally starting to show their age.

As far as brand names go I would think of Novak as I do Trinity, a necissary evil in RC. I just cannot stand that damn Capacitor. I would prefer to not go with one, but I would if it is the only logical choice. I am sure that will rile a few feathers, but I do not man to offend anyone.

my 1st choices were the Quantum or the 7.1. I have even considered the CS Rocket Max. Has anyone here used the CS speedo's?

I have heard that with the quantun you must run a capacitor, in which case I think I would tend to go with the 7.1.

What Information can anyone share about this Keyance speedo. Is there a webpage were I could check it out? Were is it made? From what I read it seems to have peaked my interest.

Thank you in advance for any help

Paul
PaulP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 10:46 AM   #50

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Novak is a very good company in RC, unlike Trinity. They have the best customer service I have ever encounted, great products and a friendly support staff. If it was me, I would either go novak or GM. The GM speedo is very similar to the quantum, except that it is slightly larger, and is not prone to exploding. Novak is probably the most durable ESC, the quantums have been "poofing" alot since they came out! All pro level ESC's these days require a cap. It gives you more power, so you shuold like it! It sounds like by what you are saying, you should go with a 7.1 though.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 10:49 AM   #51
RCTech Member #2

I love Novak. I have had 2 Novak speedos, and both have rocked!! The service rocks too, i sent my old one in a couple years back... it finally died.. Got it back within a week & 1/2, and they even sent the sticker i had on the case in a little ziplock baggie. How cool is that?
RCTech Member #2

Old 08-28-2001, 10:58 AM   #52

If a novak busts, it's 37 US and they will send you a brand new one, that is cycloe at least.
Old 08-28-2001, 11:00 AM   #53
RCTech Member #2

Is that what it is now? I remeber when i sent my old speedo in, it was $25 for them to send a refurbished ESC back to me... i gave it to my brother... still running stong!

That was a while ago..and a different speedo...
RCTech Member #2

Old 08-28-2001, 11:01 AM   #54

Well, I busted my cyclone, and they sent me a brand spankin new one for 37 bucks!
Old 08-29-2001, 10:37 AM   #55
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Speedo: I noticed a few lines down that you decided to compare Novak to Trinity. Saying Novak has great customer service and Trinity doesn't. As I have always said, theres always someone who doesn't like any company. If you recall on the rctouring.com board, there were a few peope who had a small thread that would dis agree with you opinion of Novak. I cant recall what exactly the problem was that the starter of the thread had, but Novak would not help him and he felt the service was not up to par. So just like you feel that Novak is the greatest and Trinity is the worst, that guy may feel the opposite. Who is right, I don't know, but it still kills me how Trinity can have bad customer service when their batteries(as with every other battery company) carry no warrenty after you solder them. What are you getting service on?

I have one question for you guys though. Doesn't it strike you as odd that there are so many people to can vouch for how good Novak service is? I mean why do so many people have to send their stuff in to be serviced? I have heard many stories of how the Millenium chargers have failed. Not so many with the speedos though. I understand that some people say they have great service, but the best service is the one you never have to get! I don't know what Tekin's service was like when they were in business. Thats because I never had to use it! I just sold a g12 that was my first real race esc, and it still works perfectly and has never been service. I had a Novak ExplorerII that I sold and it never had to be serviced. That is what I expect from my equipment. I see some people here saying "My Novak(........)finally gave out and I sent it in and it only cost me(........) to get a refurbished one." Well I don't expect my stuff to "finally" give out at any point.

Its great to have good service, but when so many people have experienced that great service, then theres a problem there. Just my 2cents.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:41 AM   #56
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Oh, and by the way, before you start flaming massages at me about questioning Novaks reliability, stop and think about what I'm saying and you'll see that it makes sense. I hope I didn't offend anyone who is life and death loyal to Novak. I know some people can get pretty upset if you question their favorite company.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:59 AM   #57
Tech Apprentice

no but I heard they are the sheeeet. they are xtremely efficient. and expensive
holy ear guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:01 AM   #58
Tech Apprentice

nevermind the last post (wrong page)
holy ear guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:14 AM   #59
Tech Initiate

Darkside

Great post, I personnaly have not had a headache with a Novak Speedo, but I have with the all famed millenium. Yet I must point out that it was I that started comparing Novak to trinity.

Like you I have numerous G12cIII's that are working great. With Tekin no longer producing Speedo's what is the next best logical choice if you take Novak out of the equation?

It all comes down to personal preferance, what did you choose to replace your tekin speedo's with? I was thinking about the quantum, but I think I will just go with the LRP7.1

Thanks for all the help guy's

Paul
PaulP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:29 AM   #60
RCTech Member #2

Darkside -

I own or have owned the following novak products:
  • NovakSuperRooster ( sold )
  • Novak Cyclone 2
  • Novak N-Power

Every single one worked as i needed it to, and everyone i enjoyed. The only problem i had was with my SuperRooster, which was my fault... Otherwise i have never had a novak product fail on me. My superrooster lived untill i screwed it up.. i had it repaired, and it was good as new.

So what about LRP? They have problems with both the Quantums & the Runners. What about GM?

The only reason you hear so much about Novak, is so many people use novak!
RCTech Member #2