Trinity goes EP!!  Wh00t!! >

Trinity goes EP!! Wh00t!!

Trinity goes EP!! Wh00t!!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Galdo
That's Lipo for ya folks!
This is more a problem with cheap LiPo. The safer chemistry usually burns itself out if there's a failure rather than something like this. Unfortunately, nobody in R/C seems to care, and are perfectly content running cheaper cells. Plus, the cheaper cells seem to provide more voltage as part of their unsafe chemistry. It's troubling, to say the least. If I were a track owner, and allowed LiPo, I would ONLY allow LiPo that used safer chemistry.

EDIT: I didn't see there was a whole new page and this was already addressed, sorry. MaxAmps 6000 is the answer I was looking for.

Do you have any idea what kind of cells he was using, or who made the battery? Everybody has a scary LiPo story, but often not all the facts, which are important, since there's a massive difference in safety from one company's cells to the next. It's going to make the whole LiPo thing a real hassle I'm afraid.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by tallyrc
novak announced in another thread that they are developin a "spec speed" motor like a 17.5 that will probably allow 12th scale guys to run 7.4v with similar speeds to what some classes of 12th run now..
I see it's available on their Shopatron site.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by kuzo
Again the thread is deleted but I'm pretty sure the pack had puffed while on the track. I'm pretty sure he was aware of it as well. My first reaction as a lipo user in this scenario would be "can I borrow a bucket of water and a bunch of salt?" Not driving home with it and leaving it the car. I will also bet it wasn't an Orion pack. God only knows what type of cells they were.

*If I have any part of this story incorrect I'll be happy to edit.
He discharged it fully after it puffed and laid it on his car seat, as I recall.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
trakpower also do a good hard cased 7.4v 4800mah ,nice gold brick aswell
I believe Trakpower uses Enerland cells, which are highly regarded from what I've seen, and from a Korean factory.

Sorry for the LiPo threadjack, it was brought up in this thread originally as kind of a scary scenario, and I (and many others) felt compelled to get the truth.

We've had a racer locally using the EP cells from Hurricane, and he's had nothing but great luck with them. Brad has been all over these for a while now, as I recall. Hopefully nobody that was early to realize the potential of these cells gets screwed by this "exclusive" deal with the Evil Empire(tm).
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I believe Trakpower uses Enerland cells, which are highly regarded from what I've seen, and from a Korean factory.

Sorry for the LiPo threadjack, it was brought up in this thread originally as kind of a scary scenario, and I (and many others) felt compelled to get the truth.

We've had a racer locally using the EP cells from Hurricane, and he's had nothing but great luck with them. Brad has been all over these for a while now, as I recall. Hopefully nobody that was early to realize the potential of these cells gets screwed by this "exclusive" deal with the Evil Empire(tm).
Oh god please stop with the "Evil Empire" crap.

Without Trinity racers would have far less choices of motors, batteries and other misc parts for your R/C cars. I've been purchasing stuff from Trinity OEM for three years now and never had a problem. I've used their IB cells and they worked just fine... And their pricing on the EP battery for OEM customers really good considering the fact pricing on most Ni-MH batteries went up in the last few months due to a nickel shortage.

I'm happy EP is working with Trinity. Trinity is the only company that has the buying power to buy enough cells to show EP it's worth investing their time and energy into the R/C market... Maybe now EP will really start to work on the cell, and be able to create something faster, more stable than any current cell. In the end, this deal means competition between battery manufactures, and that my friend is a good thing.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Current tower prices.
trinity part TRI20102
Trinity EP 4200mAh 6-Cell VIS-PRO Matched Unassembled
$89.99

Current online Trinity pricing:
TRI20102..........6 Cell Vis-Pro Matched Unassembled
MSRP $109.99
online price $87.99
Team grade packs =
TRI20106..........6 Cell VIS-PRO Matched, unassembled
MSRP $119.99
online price $95.99

Current Promatch pricing:
Product ID: 12306
1.23+ AV 430+ Runtime
EP4200 6 Cell Matched
Price: 68.99

and it's a fact...most LHS can't get stock from Trinity anywhere close the OEM price...usually only 1 or 2 dollars below their online price.....

my guess this will really help the bulk of the racer....wonder who that is???
ohh...yeah..that's right....THE CLUB RACER....

if anyone doubts the pattern....do a search for a DPD....tower sells it for $119....Trinity online = $157.49
LHS wholesale = roughly $120...
then compare...the Team Magic stuff....up 20 to 35% percent since they took US distributor rights.
and...on...on...on....all the same pattern.

Last edited by olhipster1; 06-27-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Tower's prices for the Trinity EP batteries are seriously screwed up right now. The unassembled 6 cell "race" packs cost $89.99 and the assembled 6 cell sideXside "race" packs cost $74.99.Also, some of the five cell packs cost more than 6 cell packs of the same type. I wonder how long it will take them to figure it out.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghuber
Trinity is the only company that has the buying power to buy enough cells to show EP it's worth investing their time and energy into the R/C market... Maybe now EP will really start to work on the cell, and be able to create something faster, more stable than any current cell. In the end, this deal means competition between battery manufactures, and that my friend is a good thing.
Sure, that is why EP has been trying to get distributors interested in the cells over the last year. That's why Fusion had the "exclusive" until they went away. That's why currently it is AS FAST and MORE STABLE than the IB. Trinity will save us all.

Trinity wants a cell that is now proven, and is becoming a hot commodity so they can get back into the game. Which was run by SMC until recently. Who did knock Trinity out of the box with the IB cell exclusive. (The GP "free for all distribution" era not withstanding) Trinity wants to make dough for themselves, and more power to them. Just don't tell me they are "doing it for the racers, man."
Old 06-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

those Xpacks...don't specify what mah probably a mistake on Towerhobbies....but the other stuff is inline by catalog number.

goes back to other post...
who want's to pay extra for batteries???????raise your hand please.

Tracks are closing down...quite often...they can't compete with the online shops..and the strong arming of the distributor rights and greed.

but back to the topic....do EP cells look to be a good option for the next year or two....Probably yes...
if trump Trinity doesn't raise up the cost of acquiring of course..
but we already know the outcome....don't we all...
Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olhipster1
those Xpacks...don't specify what mah probably a mistake on Towerhobbies....but the other stuff is inline by catalog number.
That's what I originally thought, but I compared the Manufacturer Stock numbers on Tower and cross referenced them with Trinity's online store and one of them is an EP4200 "race" sideXside pack and it costs $15 less than the unassembled "race" pack. I also cross referenced the 5 and 6 cell assembled sideXside "team" packs and the 5 cell pack costs $5 more than the 6 cell pack.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDN9&P=SM

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDP0&P=SM
Old 06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

yes..ur right..tower has a few things messed..they always have a few things messed up in their system...they carry so much stuff.

but the primary is...
pricing will probably go up..and not down...once Trinity gets into the play.

let's hope not....
Old 06-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Just an FYI I just received the latest pricing info from Trinity since the new agreement and guess what....The prices are the EXACT Same as they were a month ago from them when they sent out a price list.

Not taking sides one way or the other but stating a fact.

EA
Old 06-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

EA..
is that OEM pricing..or retail pricing.

just would like a bit of info...
what happens to the matchers...shops..etc..
will they forced to buy from Trinity
Old 06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I was just curious as our local track is considering allowing Lipo packs for this upcoming season but worried about the dangers. My opinion is to only allow the Orion/Peak 3200/4800 packs as to me they are the ONLY ones to have proven to be basically 100% safe and reliable!! I have yet to hear of a failure, fire or any damage from one of their packs!

EA
Our outdoor track has only allowed the Orion lipo with now problems. This has been well received by the racers. Most of us are using the Orion. A hand full are using the nimh.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
You mean that is cheap LiPo for you

In actuality this happens with NiCD and NiMH far more often then LiPo except with NiCD/NiMH you also get the wonders of flying red hot metal shards

Do the research.

Before the flames or claims of bias, remember I work for the true world leader in both Ni and Li R/C batteries so this is not based on biased it is based on facts.
LOL!!! Yeah.... it was one of those Lithium Manganese LiPo Orion packs. That is what the race manager told me.

No bias here, I like Lipo but I have not made the jump. Lipo for the most part has not proven to rival the performance of NiMH. That is all the research I care invest with this new technology... it is still too new and has more growing pains to overcome before it will exceed our demands.

In closing, this latest incident was due to multiple impacts per lap.... braille driving at best. So, in short, the pack was abused.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.