Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Good value setup station >

Good value setup station

Good value setup station

Old 06-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

Default Setup

I agree, Hudy's setup stations are the best. As for whether or not you need a setup station, it's the only way to get your car to handle consistantly. My car goes on the setup station before every run, practice or racing, and everytime I put my car on the track I know exactly how it is going to handle. I see alot of guys at my local track that don't use setup stations and there cars handle differently every race. They are an invaluable tool, and money well spent. Just my two cents.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by _pilot_
I agree, Hudy's setup stations are the best. As for whether or not you need a setup station, it's the only way to get your car to handle consistantly. My car goes on the setup station before every run, practice or racing, and everytime I put my car on the track I know exactly how it is going to handle. I see alot of guys at my local track that don't use setup stations and there cars handle differently every race. They are an invaluable tool, and money well spent. Just my two cents.

I would be that person your talking about, my eyes arent cutting it any more!

Im looking for a set up board my self, and I have some hudy tools and they are the best by far, so i think im going to get there system.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Tom
Tech Regular

You guys need to see the light,

Setup wheels, drawing triangle, and a set of shims or feeler gauges in 0.1mm incraments, from 1-1.8mm or so. Add a 30cm steel rule to check toe, a quality droop/ride hight gaug and a flat surface. And a white pencil or chalk to mark the tires (thats for rubber tires)

So you think your hudy setup station is good? Wheel i run -1.2mm front chamber and 1.4mm rear at my local track. Measure that!

Dont knock it till you try it. Spend some time at the track with fresh tires, and draw a white chalk line across them, go and do 2-3 laps and bring the car in. Notice the the wear on the line and adjust chamber accordingly, do another 2-3 laps and so on... you will find a really good sweet spot

Yes i used setup stations too once apon a time.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
I'll stick my oar in as I always do in these kind of threads.

"Setup stations" are a waste of time. When do you ever race your car with 5mm acrylic squares instead of tyres?

Best setup system is a flat board (Hudy sell their own boards seperately, I got the 1/10th version for £12.99 UK), a camber gauge (RPM is reliable and easy to use) and a ride height gauge (I use a 3racing one, you can also use it to measure droop if you place the chassis flat on the board without tyres).

Put the wheels you will be using on the car (assuming they are not distorted), set your ride height first, then your droop, tweak, cambers etc, recheck and you are good to go. Total expense under £30 UK. And probably a better setup car than any setup station would give you.
I would have to agree on this, getting to an extreme degree of accuracy is not necessary. You don't have to use a setup station to recheck everything, all that can be done with a droop gauge, ride height gauge, camber gauge, and a tweak station. Assuming your rims aren't distorted.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
I would have to agree on this, getting to an extreme degree of accuracy is not necessary. You don't have to use a setup station to recheck everything, all that can be done with a droop gauge, ride height gauge, camber gauge, and a tweak station. Assuming your rims aren't distorted.
Really, I think being as we are dealing with such small cars and tolerances that even the slightest changes make a huge difference, I would like to be as accurate a possible but thats just my opinion
Old 06-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default set-up station

The Hudy All-in-one station works really well. Before I go to the race, I set up my car up on the station and it runs as perfect as I want it to. It goes straight down the line without clicking a notch to the left or the right. I actually set my front tow while the radio is on. Once I start racing, I don't use the set-up station unless I take a big hit. I use a credit card for a camber gage. After a while you'll know how to measure the distance between 1.5 to 2.0 degrees of camber by eyeing it. Camber gauges are nice but I temp my tires after every run and make sure I get even temperature on both sides of the tire. This keeps my tire wear even and I save on tires. Efficiency is important when you race as much as we do. Hope this helps...
Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
I would disagree with you there totally. Every change to these cars does something even .25 degrees of camber. I try to check my car on the gauges after every run and even with a clean run things can get whacked out.

I use the Speedmind setup station. Its just like the hudy.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Big B
, IMO Hudy has the best tools, dosent matter if its hex drivers or setup stations, their fit, finish, and quality of materials is second to none. Whoever told you that they are a wast of money was somking something, the $60 Integy one is ok for the price
yeah thats right that guy was probably blown at that time
Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GTRtuned
The Hudy All-in-one station works really well. Before I go to the race, I set up my car up on the station and it runs as perfect as I want it to. It goes straight down the line without clicking a notch to the left or the right. I actually set my front tow while the radio is on. Once I start racing, I don't use the set-up station unless I take a big hit. I use a credit card for a camber gage. After a while you'll know how to measure the distance between 1.5 to 2.0 degrees of camber by eyeing it. Camber gauges are nice but I temp my tires after every run and make sure I get even temperature on both sides of the tire. This keeps my tire wear even and I save on tires. Efficiency is important when you race as much as we do. Hope this helps...
so you dont use your setup station for camber?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Does anyone know if the teammagic setup comes with a toe-in guage? I think that's what it is. Anyway it's the clear plastic plate.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vabroom
Does anyone know if the teammagic setup comes with a toe-in guage? I think that's what it is. Anyway it's the clear plastic plate.
I am almost 100% sure it does
Old 06-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by civiceg
so you dont use your setup station for camber?
I think he means he sets it up, including camber, on the setup station then will check it periodically with the credit card.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by adamge
I recently heard of this brand of setup station:
http://www.rc-setup.com/
I bought this set 8 months ago and I've been very satisfied.

Price and quality has great balance - I really can recommend this set for those who are not ready to invest a bunch of money.

Readability could be a little bit better in certain lightning conditions, but that is the only negative thing I have experienced.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I thought that one does but it only goes to like 10 degrees making it useless for checking how far your steering goes. I might be thinking of another station though but almost sure it was the magic one. I looked at them all before going with the Hudy. Hudy is really easy to read and I like it a lot more than the Integy. If I did it over again I would just get the gauges and not the full set up system though. Haven't used the tweak thing yet.

Originally Posted by vabroom
Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default camber

Originally Posted by SlamMan
I think he means he sets it up, including camber, on the setup station then will check it periodically with the credit card.
Yes, exactly. I usually start with -1.5 degrees in the front and -2 degrees in the rear. I'm always checking it at track as the day goes by with a Dave and Buster card. A lot of times I find myself adjusting camber according to the track and how the tire is wearing. Plus, rotating tires helps when trying to get the best performance without having to use more sets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.