Wiki Posts
Search

Drilling holes in brushes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Drilling holes in brushes

I found a tool on a website the other day that is designed to drill a hole in your brushes? Is anyone doing this? and whats the idea behind it?

Cheers,

Ben.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Phroz
I found a tool on a website the other day that is designed to drill a hole in your brushes? Is anyone doing this? and whats the idea behind it?

Cheers,

Ben.
Hi Phroz

i've been using the slapmaster tool for drilling holes in my brushes for my 19t checkpoint money motor, and it has really made a difference, what it apparently does is increase the RPM but only lowers the torque buy a small amount. I've found that it has worked on my 12th scale, so i would recommend it anyone.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Its similar to having your brushes re-serrated, there's less surface area on the brush face.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

It's also supposed to create an air vent to help prevent arching and to keep the brushes from bouncing. Back in the day we'd use a toothpick to stuff the holes with cotton to retain the comm drops we'd use. As the brush heated up the comm drops would trickle out onto the comms surface!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Drilling holes is really a great alternative to buying new brushes or reserrating them every time you rebuild your motor. You get all the benefits of serrations, you only have to do it once, and since Brian Bodine at Slapmaster released their new tool it super easy. I know alot of 1/12th scale drivers still drill holes in their brushes, but I was wondering why more TC guys don't?

Link to the Slapmaster tool
http://www.slapmastertools.com/112-b...avity-tool.php
Old 06-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Its because the TCs are really hard on the motors, the brushes get worn out quickly and they can be easily overheated, that gives poor performance.