R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-23-2007, 05:10 AM   #1
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Help me choose a brushless system

I currently have a Mamba Max (and I am totally happy with it)... I want to get a new brushless system... that I can use for racing. I've been looking at Novak, Tekin (if they ever come out) or LRP. I've been reading up on all of them but I cannot decide; (I would like one that supports brushed motors) and still be able to run all of the brusless motors out there from 4T to Stock.

I cannot figure out which is the companies top of the line units.
Can someone point me in the right direction

Novak seems to have some issues (from a previous thread, work then not work)
LRP - lifetime warranty???
Tekin - they'rrrreee baaaackkkk! (but when will they hit the shelves)
Mamba - Not legal for all classes?
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In terms of performance and reliability LRP and Novak are the same. You gear them correctly then they perform flawlessly.

One thing NOVAK shits on LRP is warranty. Novak guys are on this forum to help you with any problems you may have.

LRP sure do have a life time warranty, because it takes them a life time to fix it
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go with Novak, Warranty is one of the best, hands down. Top Notch company to deal with.
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

What issue does Novak GTB speedo has...?
Like other stated...Novak has at least 2 person here on Rctech DIRECTLY guide you thru the problem, or at least, they will tell you where to send to and they will take care the problem.....ON RCTECH here.

Tell others to do that...........I called that CUSTOMER support.

I use ONLY NOVAK stuff since they release Novak 1 and Novak 4...when I was all the way over @ Hong Kong 20 years ago. Now...still using the 1st gen Novak GTB brushless........not 1 single problem with that "OLD" brushless speedo...LOL

XBR Brushelss unit....$180 speedo with motor and lipo cut off....who else can do the price like that....?
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
What issue does Novak GTB speedo has...?
Like other stated...Novak has at least 2 person here on Rctech DIRECTLY guide you thru the problem, or at least, they will tell you where to send to and they will take care the problem.....ON RCTECH here.

Tell others to do that...........I called that CUSTOMER support.

I use ONLY NOVAK stuff since they release Novak 1 and Novak 4...when I was all the way over @ Hong Kong 20 years ago. Now...still using the 1st gen Novak GTB brushless........not 1 single problem with that "OLD" brushless speedo...LOL

XBR Brushelss unit....$180 speedo with motor and lipo cut off....who else can do the price like that....?

good point!!! I've seeing that they (many company reps) are pretty active here. Is the GTB their top model?
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP66 View Post
good point!!! I've seeing that they (many company reps) are pretty active here. Is the GTB their top model?
Yes, as of now, unless they are coming out with something soon that no one knows about.
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
Tech Master

I would go for LRP TC Comp Spec system. Let's break down the options, which fall into two categories:

Properly priced...
-Mamba Max: has many issues that Castle doesn't feel like addressing

Impressively overpriced...
-Tekin: fantasy, you'll ruin your formerly fun hobby by holding your breath for this vaporware
-Novak: Pretty good choice
-LRP: Seems to have a little more development in its system than the Novak

There isn't a brushless system manufacturer out there that should be proud and satisfied with its offerings.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
I was going to pounce on that question by answering Mamba Max, but I see that Castle finally grew some balls and enforced MAP to bring the price back up to $212 (I say that in jest, as I know first hand that their enforcing used to be done by a woman and probably still is).

You know what that means? The latest and greatest LRP system is now just $52 more than the Mamba Max system and Novak systems are $30-50 more. This is news to me, and it changes everything for me.

Get a Novak or LRP. I think I just might buy a LRP... anyone want to buy a Mamba? And in the future the Mamba is off the 'reasonably priced' list and into the 'overpriced' one.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
Old 06-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The tekin is not vapor ware. I seen one and touched it with my own fingers last week They ran five units at the stock nats. It will probably be just before winter when they release it.
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
Tech Master

Hey again, matt. You don't think it qualifies for the term?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware
-Nietzsche
Old 06-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
The tekin is not vapor ware. I seen one and touched it with my own fingers last week They ran five units at the stock nats. It will probably be just before winter when they release it.
Yeah but they have been advertising it since last winter, most of us are tired of the delays and excuses, go with a Poven race winner like the Novak GTB (get the Spektrum edition if you run a Spektrum system) or the LRP. As far as I know the Novak has no issues, I am going to be buying another GTB (sold the first one to pay off a bill) with the 13.5 or 10.5 (huge classes at SIR) and since I have had problems with my VFS-1, I might just buy a 4 cell GTB for my 1/12th scale.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP66 View Post
I currently have a Mamba Max (and I am totally happy with it)... I want to get a new brushless system... that I can use for racing. I've been looking at Novak, Tekin (if they ever come out) or LRP. I've been reading up on all of them but I cannot decide; (I would like one that supports brushed motors) and still be able to run all of the brusless motors out there from 4T to Stock.

I cannot figure out which is the companies top of the line units.
Can someone point me in the right direction

Novak seems to have some issues (from a previous thread, work then not work)
LRP - lifetime warranty???
Tekin - they'rrrreee baaaackkkk! (but when will they hit the shelves)
Mamba - Not legal for all classes?
You probably can't go wrong with either the Novak or the LRP, the LRP is easier to switch over from brushless to brushed motors, although I run the Novak because of the support, great customer service.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #13
Tech Master

Novak has The BEST Customer Service out there, that makes a huge difference
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #14
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
...You know what that means? The latest and greatest LRP system is now just $52 more than the Mamba Max system and Novak systems are $30-50 more. This is news to me, and it changes everything for me....
The Novak brushless combos include the cooling fan and high performance, racing capacitor module so the racer has no need to purchase those items separately.

Also, speed control and motor replacement parts are readily available through distribution. The Novak brushless items are specifically designed to allow minor repairs and upgrades to be done by the user, so that the items do not have to returned for service.

All TeamNovak motors shipped from the beginning may be upgraded (by the racer) to the current features by adding the new rotors and end-bells.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

The one thing i find interesting is that everyone is chosing Novak based on the fact that they are eaisier to deal with when they go bad. I bought the LRP TC Spec because i think it is the best one. Switching between brushless and brushed is a no brainer and since not evywhere will let you run brushless yet that was a big deal for me. It may be nieve to think I wont need any customer service but i didnt want to buy a product planning it on failing.
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote