R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

just picked up MM 5700 $179.99 Its hard to go wrong at that price.
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Rapp have you decided what to buy yet,>?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:34 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post
I would have to say the Mamba Max system is a nice setup. I paid $200 at the LHS for a Mamba 7700 setup and Mamba 4600 setup from an onine shop for $165.00. I don't think you could go wrong with a Mamba with being able to adjust your settings using a computer. Novak & Tekin doesn't offer that feature.
As spec said, Tekin R1 has PC interface. However we only know for real until it release..

ARE WE THERE YET....
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:54 AM   #34
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Mamba Max 5700 won't get up and go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post
...I don't think you could go wrong with a Mamba with being able to adjust your settings using a computer. Novak & Tekin doesn't offer that feature.
Aloha t9dragon,

I also have a Mamba Max system; 5700 to be exact.

And, to add on what you mentioned about the ability to adjust settings using a computer, well it's a no brainer in my opinion.

I am having major issues with acceleration.

Frequently it hesitates when I go hard on throttle.

Here is my setup:

Xray T1FK05
- Spur 84/48
- Pinion 24/48
- Apogee 2s 3800
- Z1 & RS310 rx/tx
- Drift wheels
- CastleLink v3.0 [Default settings]

The initial connector became extremely hot and melted and I was unable to pull the battery apart to charge it...so I switched to deans plugs for power connectivity.

Do you or anyone have any ideas why this may be happening?

Mahalo

Last edited by Ba11erz; 06-25-2007 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Added an item to setup section and mispelling
Ba11erz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #35
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Not going with LRP, customer support is extremely important to me.

I think I'm going to grab a Novak spectrum system... I already have a Mamba Max 7700 and I really like the power it has, very fast setup. BUT, it seems I will have issues running it in modified in my area, due to roar rules (good ole boys club). I will continue to run the mamba as I can, and use a different system as rules require.

I've been involved with RC Cars for over 20yrs. And I remember when a company called novak started to be available. (Anyone remember Dialed racing products) and at the time we would watch the orage cases go up in flames I've been through many ESC and have never had a problem with Tekin, the other brand never had luck. however I do run orange in most of my cars because Tekin fadded away. I wish the tekin unit was available now so I could support my ole fav, I'm not that confident in the new Tekin yet.

Art YGM
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I think that you'll love the Novak Spread Spectrum. I have one with a 6.5t motor and it really screams and I swear on everything that I haven't seen temps on it yet over 105F using a duratrax infrared temp gun! I am only doing 5 minute heats and mains indoors but it is warm inside. I am using an 18t pinion.

I haven't really noticed a difference in power between a regular GTB and the Spread Spectrum one though. They seem alike in that aspect.
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:26 PM   #37
Tech Lord

Smart man. The Novaks are awesome. If you don't mind come back and give a review.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba11erz View Post
Aloha t9dragon,

I also have a Mamba Max system; 5700 to be exact.

<snip>

I am having major issues with acceleration.

Frequently it hesitates when I go hard on throttle.

<snip>

The initial connector became extremely hot and melted and I was unable to pull the battery apart to charge it...so I switched to deans plugs for power connectivity.

Do you or anyone have any ideas why this may be happening?

Mahalo
I have 2 MM systems that I use for both Off-Road and paved oval. There are also a few other racers at my track that have tried the Mamba. Based on experience, I WOULD NOT buy Mamba Max again for 1/10 use. I am in the process of finding a new home for my 4600 and 5700 to replace with Novak stuff.

The problem you describe is a problem with the Mamba setup. You must either direct solder or replace with deans all 3 motor leads. Even with this done, you will still experience a small amount of stutter due to the 2 pole sensorless design.

If you start rolling backwards, usually you can't start moving forward again until you stop. (a problem on banked oval, may not be so much on touring) I've brought this up to Castle on various threads, including their "factory support" thread and they choose to ignore my questioning every time.

I've also had to send one ESC back due to a failed firmware update, but at least they were quick to fix it and send it back...although I think they just sent me a replacement since the case was different when I got it back.

My vote is for Novak
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #39
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gndprx View Post
I have 2 MM systems that I use for both Off-Road and paved oval. There are also a few other racers at my track that have tried the Mamba. Based on experience, I WOULD NOT buy Mamba Max again for 1/10 use. I am in the process of finding a new home for my 4600 and 5700 to replace with Novak stuff.

The problem you describe is a problem with the Mamba setup. You must either direct solder or replace with deans all 3 motor leads. Even with this done, you will still experience a small amount of stutter due to the 2 pole sensorless design.

If you start rolling backwards, usually you can't start moving forward again until you stop. (a problem on banked oval, may not be so much on touring) I've brought this up to Castle on various threads, including their "factory support" thread and they choose to ignore my questioning every time.

I've also had to send one ESC back due to a failed firmware update, but at least they were quick to fix it and send it back...although I think they just sent me a replacement since the case was different when I got it back.

My vote is for Novak
Ditto.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

I got my BL mototr finally. As you may have read i am running the LRP and the reason i bought it was ease of use. last night soldered up the BL an went. I still have yet to touch the set up and it works great. Once i start playing with it it will only get better. That is why i went with LRP.
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Do you think the problem is with the ESC or the 2 pole design?
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmerf View Post
I got my BL mototr finally. As you may have read i am running the LRP and the reason i bought it was ease of use. last night soldered up the BL an went. I still have yet to touch the set up and it works great. Once i start playing with it it will only get better. That is why i went with LRP.
There is nothing wrong with the performance, but good luck getting it fixed or replaced, that is the only reason I would go with the Novak. Both are easy to use, and fully adjustable, but Novak has superior customer service.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #43
Tech Master

It's done. I came here to 'help someone choose a brushless system' and ended up talking myself into the LRP TC w/ LRP 4.5, and I'm going to run it in mod as a 5cell. Best price I found was Tower's (motor+esc)combo+$30off.

Think I'll notice the (35motor+35lead+70cell=) 140g weight drop?
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:23 AM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltapdout View Post
Do you think the problem is with the ESC or the 2 pole design?
It's the sensorless design more than anything that I believe causes this.

From what I understand, this was a long time issue with the old Shultze/Pletenburg combo as well. Awesome power and a great setup, but trouble if you ever started to roll backwards...it would supposedly rocket you faster in reverse if you tried to pull out of it.

The sensor designed motors are aware of the rotor position and how to compensate/correct rotation.

Don't get me wrong here, the Mamba is a good setup and has insane power capability, but if you need pure finesse from your motor then don't buy a Mamba. After switching the motor lead connections, I never really complained about mine until I moved from off-road to oval.

Last edited by gndprx; 06-27-2007 at 01:25 PM.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

right down to either
novak gtb or
LRP/Nosram wc one (not sure which colour i like red or blue )

anyway
i've a couple of posters stating there is a difference in power ,feel from Novak to lrp

i think
marcos J went from novak to lrp & there is a markable difference between the 2 speedo's with the LRP setup much livelier & better (in small amount's

is this right motor is a motor
but speedo's can be so different in how it makes said motor perform on track

any insight

PS;;if i got it wrong re;;Marcos J ,correct me & i`m sorry
don't want ot get on the wrong side of the great `marcos J `
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote