R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #16
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmerf View Post
.... It may be nieve to think I wont need any customer service but i didnt want to buy a product planning it on failing.
Customer Service goes beyond repairing a damaged item. It encompasses race support, phone and e-mail tech support, forum support and product replacement and upgrade policies.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Agreed, but you could also make the argument if the product is easy to use and does not fail thre is not a lot of need for customer support. I have never needed it for my futaba stuff. read the manual turn it in and it works the way you want it to. I am not saying Novak does not make quality stuff by any stretch, just saying that the LRP seems to be the most advanced right now. I am sure Nvak has something devolping as we speak
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
Company Representative

Quote:
....Novak does not make quality stuff by any stretch, just saying that the LRP seems to be the most advanced right now. I am sure Nvak has something devolping as we speak
In what way do you think that the LRP brushless systems are more advanced?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jim S

novak GTB 13.5
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
novak GTB 13.5
Agreed. Just bought one and think its fantastic so far!
Just found a 4.5 to try too.......
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
The one thing i find interesting is that everyone is chosing Novak based on the fact that they are eaisier to deal with when they go bad. I bought the LRP TC Spec because i think it is the best one. Switching between brushless and brushed is a no brainer and since not evywhere will let you run brushless yet that was a big deal for me. It may be nieve to think I wont need any customer service but i didnt want to buy a product planning it on failing.
I think its "Naive" to not plan on a product failing, I don't expect it to happen, but I am also not surprised if it does. What makes you think the LRP is more advanced and won't fail? Every ESC has the potential to fail, not because it's a bad product, because of Operator Error. I have had Novak ESC's in the past with no problems, it wasnt till I tried a Ko that I realized how much Customer Service means when getting a product, I will never run anything else again. As for LRP's CS, I have never had one, but there have been a couple of threads started on this forum about it and from what I read it isnt great.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

I really did not come in here to cause trouble guys, just offering another point of view. If you read my post i even said it may be nieve to not to think a product will fail. I am by no measn an expert but i have been in and out of rc for over 20 years. I se the LRP is moe advanced becuse i can hook up either a brushless or a brushed motor with out really changing anything and go. That was the complaint i heard about the Novak. I also heard they tend to shut down from het more than the LRP. The TC Spec was designed with this in mind from what i read. After talking to a few industry people as well as shop owners (who offered both by the way) this was the recomendation i got. Listening to the sponsor sheets at Reedy the TC seems to be all anybody ran. I realize i should not buy a product solely based on wht the pros run but i also think those guys are not going to run something they do not have confidence in. I may very well regret buying the LRP but for now i love it. By the way the KO is the speedo i have as a back up and they do offer great service as well. That product is a perfect example of one that needs it though , not due to failure but due to its complexity.
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

actually thinking of getting the Nosram TC thingy speedo ,since i will need to switch between brushed & BL to be legal & variuos club's (pray the lord where you can run what you have & any club ) UK that is

Q) which one ???

really with out being biased hoping for a free gift

novak
nosram
LRP
etc

i like the Posters on this forum since quite a few have not had there support brought ,so you do get quite a few honest suggestion's (no matter how much it might hurt to hear
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY View Post
actually thinking of getting the Nosram TC thingy speedo ,since i will need to switch between brushed & BL to be legal & variuos club's (pray the lord where you can run what you have & any club ) UK that is

Q) which one ???

really with out being biased hoping for a free gift

novak
nosram
LRP
etc

i like the Posters on this forum since quite a few have not had there support brought ,so you do get quite a few honest suggestion's (no matter how much it might hurt to hear
I bought the novak as I found a great deal on ebay. I'm really pleased with the way it goes so far but i don't like the way you have to attach all 3 brushless motor wires to the negative teminal of a brushed motor and the way you have to change between brushed/brushless modes is a bit of a faff.
I hear customer service from Novak is great and in the uk servicing is by cml so shouldn't be any worries there.
In brushless mode its smooth and fast and zero maintainence!
Its a bit of a tight fit but goes into my MI3 ok
Not tried the nosram or LRP but there's bound to be pro's and cons with each.
I'm sure someone who owns em will post their views too!

Paul
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #25
Tech Master

Yes the Ko is complex if you want to start changing the settings but since Robert left the CS is not the same, I sent in my VFS-1 to be repaired and I was told the new guy dosen't know much about fixing them so it will probably have to be shipped to Japan to get fixed . I have never heard of a GTB or Sphere having thermal shudown problems under normal conditions, as long as you gear it right you should be fine. From what I heard at the Reedy Race, alot of the guys were running the LRP because they were given to them, because their normal ESC sponsor dosen't have a BL (just what I heard, that could and probably is wrong, but how often do you see people like Rheinard running a BL motor)

Jolly
Nosram is owend by LRP so their BL esc is the same as the LRP it's just Red. For me personally the Novak GTB is the way to go, but the LRP TC Comp is a good choice as well. Its really a matter of personal preference, both offer pretty much the same thing wrapped in a different package.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley001 View Post
I bought the novak as I found a great deal on ebay. I'm really pleased with the way it goes so far but i don't like the way you have to attach all 3 brushless motor wires to the negative teminal of a brushed motor and the way you have to change between brushed/brushless modes is a bit of a faff.
Paul
I belive with the LRP you still have to solder 2 wires to the negative. Since our local track has a strong Bl class, I think I am going to just run BL all the time, I have no plans to enter in a national race anytime soon so why not.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

one thing i know is MO from swr track

went from a tekin r1 and 3 turn motor

to the lrp setup.... 4 ppl switched over to lrp from novak, tekin... they say it was smooth... idk, but im doing a lrp esc (smaller then gtb) with a novak 13.5
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hey Rich,

Shoot me an email. You know the address.... Don't think about the Tekin..don't want to get into why here. The LRP currently has service issues. This may change but right now it is not good. If you have a chance come by the track next Friday and I will go over some stuff with you.

L8

Art
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1

Stay away from LRP ...their customer support is really bad.
on brushless systems...it may take up to 3 months or more to get warranty work done or replacement sent back.
It might look nice ...but in the long run ..not worth the hassle.
If you decide to go LRP..make sure to buy 2 of each....you need a backup unit with them.

Side note....LRP brushless...does not have a lifetime warranty...only a limited warranty which in my experience they will not honor.

Novaks have been flawless..with product and Customer service.
CAUSE and EFFECT

Last edited by olhipster1; 06-24-2007 at 09:03 PM.
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to t9dragon Send a message via AIM to t9dragon Send a message via MSN to t9dragon Send a message via Yahoo to t9dragon

I would have to say the Mamba Max system is a nice setup. I paid $200 at the LHS for a Mamba 7700 setup and Mamba 4600 setup from an onine shop for $165.00. I don't think you could go wrong with a Mamba with being able to adjust your settings using a computer. Novak & Tekin doesn't offer that feature.
t9dragon is offline   Reply With Quote