R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #106
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I'm VERY impressed with the build of the motor. I can't believe how much it cogs with the sintered rotor though. I'll give it a test tomorrow night.

LRP (and Orion) win major style points for making a removable sensor harness with all black wires, connectors and a nice rubbery black shield. I love Novak for their quality, but I've always felt like they lack style. People take a lot of pride in making their cars look as good on the bench as they do on the track, and that's really a challenge with Novak trying to throw every ugly color imaginable into the mix. Maybe it's silly, but as other manufacturers catch up, how something looks could be a defining issue. If this LRP works the same as the Novak, I'm going to stick with it simply because I can keep pick the harness length, and it doesn't look like a long strip of Fruit Stripes gum spanning the length of my car.
Ahh yes I agree. The Orion 13.5 looks good too. I'm contemplating getting one when it comes out. If the performance is equal then looks can help in the buying process.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #107
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by todb View Post
i ran mine on an indoor carpet track with foam tires in 100 degree heat in tennessee this weekend. first brushless. i couldnt do orange so i waited till now. i worked on the gearing for a while and i got it ok at 40/98 with 58mm foams on an rdx. no thermal at all with the lrp spec tc esc. when the other racers saw it on the straight they knew it was a stock but they all said 19turn. this is with good ib4200wc batt from fullthrottle. now i have to tune the esc to my liking and all will be well in the universe. oh yea tweak sucks by the way. just had to share.
So is it faster then a tuned brushed stock? Was this with the sintered rotor?

Sounds all good man! Looks like more and more people are buying a LRP Vector X-11 13.5, or theres is arriving

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Ahh yes I agree. The Orion 13.5 looks good too. I'm contemplating getting one when it comes out. If the performance is equal then looks can help in the buying process.

Haha, for me the LRP has the looks, The sensor plug is removable, the sensor wires are black ETC... I think I made the right choice
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #108
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I ran the motor tonight using foam on carpet. Unfortunately, the layout changed this week, so I couldn't compare it directly with what I'd done previously.

My gut feeling, though, is to say the motor is going to end up being about the same. I did, however, much prefer the "feel" of the LRP. It seemed to have a much more natural feel overall, and was very pleasant to drive. It has better brakes, and the drag feels more natural off-throttle. This was all with the sintered rotor, I didn't bother with the bonded version. I'm wondering if this is what Novak's 13mm rotor will feel like, as it sounds a lot like what they've been describing. The LRP definitely has a much smaller air gap than the Novak.

I can't really comment on the gearing for this motor, except that I kept gearing it up, and it kept going faster. I geared it beyond my Novak at about 46mm rollout, and it was the fastest run of the night. I ran out of races to gear up, so I'll have to keep working at it.

I couldn't compare speed directly with other drivers, because it was 100 degrees tonight (no A/C) so only one other guy showed up. He's regularly faster than me in a straight line (and through the turns) when we both run Novak motors, which I believe is because I'm running LiPo to his very good NiMH. I'm generally right on pace with the other LiPo cars, but nobody is showing up right now because it's hotter than hell here in KC.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Quote:
I ran the motor tonight using foam on carpet. Unfortunately, the layout changed this week, so I couldn't compare it directly with what I'd done previously.

My gut feeling, though, is to say the motor is going to end up being about the same. I did, however, much prefer the "feel" of the LRP. It seemed to have a much more natural feel overall, and was very pleasant to drive. It has better brakes, and the drag feels more natural off-throttle. This was all with the sintered rotor, I didn't bother with the bonded version. I'm wondering if this is what Novak's 13mm rotor will feel like, as it sounds a lot like what they've been describing. The LRP definitely has a much smaller air gap than the Novak.

I can't really comment on the gearing for this motor, except that I kept gearing it up, and it kept going faster. I geared it beyond my Novak at about 46mm rollout, and it was the fastest run of the night. I ran out of races to gear up, so I'll have to keep working at it.

I couldn't compare speed directly with other drivers, because it was 100 degrees tonight (no A/C) so only one other guy showed up. He's regularly faster than me in a straight line (and through the turns) when we both run Novak motors, which I believe is because I'm running LiPo to his very good NiMH. I'm generally right on pace with the other LiPo cars, but nobody is showing up right now because it's hotter than hell here in KC.
So what FDR did you end up with? Mine is for shure tomarow...

But sounds like you like it more then the novak a?

I like the sounds of this!

Thanks for testing and saying what happened, Big help to me
Old 08-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #110
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
So what FDR did you end up with? Mine is for shure tomarow...

But sounds like you like it more then the novak a?

I like the sounds of this!

Thanks for testing and saying what happened, Big help to me
Yea, more gear than the novak. I don't know about FDR, but it was a 46mm rollout on a smallish carpet track. The motor was coming off around 150 (100 ambient temp) with a single fan on it. It got faster each time I geared it up, so presumably it could take even more.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 PM   #111
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Yea, more gear than the novak. I don't know about FDR, but it was a 46mm rollout on a smallish carpet track. The motor was coming off around 150 (100 ambient temp) with a single fan on it. It got faster each time I geared it up, so presumably it could take even more.

That would be about a 4.4-4.5 FDR with Rubber tires.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #112
Team Tekin

You get to figure this one out too! Choices are good.

Fortunately, as has been posted here, they all take different gearing but perform about the same when maxed out.

13.5 w/ sintered rotor in my B4 with about a billion miles on it.

Tekin Prez
Attached Thumbnails
LRP 13.5, anyone have a go yet?-13.5-b4-med.jpg  
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #113
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post

Fortunately, as has been posted here, they all take different gearing but perform about the same when maxed out.

Tekin Prez
A sensorless 13.5 will be really nice. A bunch of people around here have undying love for Castle (since it's a local company) and won't shut up about not being able to run in brushless stock with their mod motors. Pointing them to the Tekin 13.5 as an option will be a relief. The sensorless crowd is currently without an option for anything remotely close to stock speeds.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #114
Tech Lord

The LRP sintered rotor is nearly 14mm. However, I'm not sure if you can compare rotor diameter between motors if the, uh, "hole" in the stator where the rotor spins isn't the same between them. I didn't measure between to the two to see if there was a difference. But the smaller air gap is immediately noticeable, because it was easy to install the sintered rotor without it flopping around like it does in Novak's motor.

What's the correct term for the hole where the rotor spins? Also, is that a static size between all motors, or something that can be changed between motors to change their design? I'm guessing part of the rules standard that's being worked on will define these parameters very clearly.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Quote:
HMMMMM more gear? Everyone has been saying less gear

VERY good temps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
That would be about a 4.4-4.5 FDR with Rubber tires.
Ok, thanks!

Quote:

Tekin Prez
Is that a heat sink on a LRP 13.5?

Quote:
A sensorless 13.5 will be really nice. A bunch of people around here have undying love for Castle (since it's a local company) and won't shut up about not being able to run in brushless stock with their mod motors. Pointing them to the Tekin 13.5 as an option will be a relief. The sensorless crowd is currently without an option for anything remotely close to stock speeds.
Yeah, I would too in off road, on road doesnt bother me with the sensor wire, But then again cogging in a TC would probably be worse then in a Off road buggy
Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #116
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one of our local "B" mainers got a 13.5 lrp with a sphere last week. I'll have to tell me to try lower. he was running 11.2 laps with it and 11.7 with his brushed so he did pick up. we run a 70x48 tight track and EA ran 9.8 9.9 laps with brushed there. I'm running 10.2 with my 13.5 novak sintered dsm. my roll out is a 42.5 foam TC indoor in the summer is the only way to go.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
one of our local "B" mainers got a 13.5 lrp with a sphere last week. I'll have to tell me to try lower. he was running 11.2 laps with it and 11.7 with his brushed so he did pick up. we run a 70x48 tight track and EA ran 9.8 9.9 laps with brushed there. I'm running 10.2 with my 13.5 novak sintered dsm. my roll out is a 42.5 foam TC indoor in the summer is the only way to go.
Your saying he dropped .5 sec's off of his lap times from the race he raced brushed and then showed up next time with bl and knocked that time off?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #118
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes but you have to remember that most average drivers run the same brushes till they don't run any more. When I was running brushed tc I was trueing 2 motors after the second round one to run round 2 and 3 and one for the main. Most average drivers don't do that. That was the only way to keep consistant 10.2 and 10.3 laptimes with brushed for me.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #119
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Is that a heat sink on a LRP 13.5?
There is some significant multi branding in this industry. However this motor is completely unique to Tekin.

Syndrome, Although this proto has no sensors, it is slotted which is the real design difference between all the motors. It is the slotted design feature that can cause problems driving them sensorless, that and the fact that people are gearing them to crazy roll outs. We can put sensors in any motor. This is a 13.5 slotted wye motor just like the other 13.5's. We might even put sensors in it so it will be compatible with everyone.

We do intend to offer a slotless 13.5 wye wound motor as well that we think will be very comparable in power. Is this confusing or what?

The air gap really determines the balance between torque and kv. Smaller air gap = more torque, larger air gap = more kv. Geared for differences we think the power is about the same in the end as long as you are somewhere near the middle of the performance and effeciency curves.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #120
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
Yes but you have to remember that most average drivers run the same brushes till they don't run any more. When I was running brushed tc I was trueing 2 motors after the second round one to run round 2 and 3 and one for the main. Most average drivers don't do that. That was the only way to keep consistant 10.2 and 10.3 laptimes with brushed for me.
And yes, that is me... My br motors get miles on them before they get turned down... Like 12 races lol......

I hate br motors, There a PITA unless you have the want to do all the work wasnt worth the faster lap times for me...

Quote:
There is some significant multi branding in this industry. However this motor is completely unique to Tekin.

Tekin Prez
You mean thats a Tekin 13.5? Whens thats coming out?