R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #91
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

I got my LRP 13.5 yesterday and the sintered rotor. I gear my Novak @ 4.38 for the track I run at. I wil try the same ratio with the LRP and check temps.
Will see which is running cooler and which gives best lap times...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #92
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie View Post
I got my LRP 13.5 yesterday and the sintered rotor. I gear my Novak @ 4.38 for the track I run at. I wil try the same ratio with the LRP and check temps.
-Shookie <><
JERK! LOL jk, mine is getting here till tues, wed.....

4.38 Thats a big track!

From the sounds of it though, I think you might need less gear there, LRP said 5.0 for a big track, 6.0 for small.....

Let us know! Im eagerly awaiting mine JW, how long the sensor wire that comes with it?
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HVFracingwilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie View Post
-Shookie <><
Finally someone will step up and put this question to rest!
HVFracingwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVFracingwilly View Post
Finally someone will step up and put this question to rest!
I know!

I wish this would have been a week ago though lol, I will post my results also, I will be racing mine next friday night
Old 08-13-2007, 02:42 AM   #95
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Ahhh Man !

You guys know the Lrp will faster than the Novak and when the Orion becomes available it too will be even faster than the Lrp .....

This will not stop until a power rating is establish and a way to measure the power is created.....

Don`t tell me its not possible, cus it has to be done !!!

Credibility has to be restored to stock racing or just let the stock racing program die .....

The way we use to tech ?

By checking the motor with a visual examination ?

It did not work and will not work again .....

The only way to restore stock, is make it so everyone believe`s they too have the same power as everyone else..

I thought that the inductance test was a fair and easy way to tech a motor.

basicly it requires an inductance meter, you hook it up to the tabs and turn the motor slowly by hand, and it will give a reading. a 13.5 has to fall within a certain range, otherwise it is disqualified...
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 AM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
I thought that the inductance test was a fair and easy way to tech a motor.

basicly it requires an inductance meter, you hook it up to the tabs and turn the motor slowly by hand, and it will give a reading. a 13.5 has to fall within a certain range, otherwise it is disqualified...
i believe that's a fair way to tech a NOVAK motor.
but the number range given in the website may not represent numbers for other brands.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #97
Tech Legend

A better form of tech is needed if we wish stock to grow and prosper.

Basing the sport on motor winds & technology does not work , its needs to base on the power output of these motor`s...

Then any motor could be used in the future , brush , brushless, ect....

Manufactures would then be able to compete fairly against each other with their products available.....

The best part is confidence in the legality`s of stock racing would be restored, helping keep the stock class`s healthy and strong...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #98
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
A better form of tech is needed if we wish stock to grow and prosper.

Basing the sport on motor winds & technology does not work , its needs to base on the power output of these motor`s...

Then any motor could be used in the future , brush , brushless, ect....

Manufactures would then be able to compete fairly against each other with their products available.....

The best part is confidence in the legality`s of stock racing would be restored, helping keep the stock class`s healthy and strong...
Kind of a dumb question, but

Why dont they have a motor dyno? They would have something like there own speedo up with them, and hook the speedo into a power supply so the voltage is even and dyno them? All the 13.5's from novak would be in a certain range wouldnt they? Then they would have to know all the ROAR legal bl motors... But I dont know much technical info on all this.. Just asking questions
Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #99
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm VERY impressed with the build of the motor. I can't believe how much it cogs with the sintered rotor though. I'll give it a test tomorrow night.

LRP (and Orion) win major style points for making a removable sensor harness with all black wires, connectors and a nice rubbery black shield. I love Novak for their quality, but I've always felt like they lack style. People take a lot of pride in making their cars look as good on the bench as they do on the track, and that's really a challenge with Novak trying to throw every ugly color imaginable into the mix. Maybe it's silly, but as other manufacturers catch up, how something looks could be a defining issue. If this LRP works the same as the Novak, I'm going to stick with it simply because I can keep pick the harness length, and it doesn't look like a long strip of Fruit Stripes gum spanning the length of my car.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I'm VERY impressed with the build of the motor. I can't believe how much it cogs with the sintered rotor though. I'll give it a test tomorrow night.

LRP (and Orion) win major style points for making a removable sensor harness with all black wires, connectors and a nice rubbery black shield. I love Novak for their quality, but I've always felt like they lack style. People take a lot of pride in making their cars look as good on the bench as they do on the track, and that's really a challenge with Novak trying to throw every ugly color imaginable into the mix. Maybe it's silly, but as other manufacturers catch up, how something looks could be a defining issue. If this LRP works the same as the Novak, I'm going to stick with it simply because I can keep pick the harness length, and it doesn't look like a long strip of Fruit Stripes gum spanning the length of my car.

I like to hear that! Thats wierd it cogg's alot, You mean more then the novak?

And yeah, I aggree 100% with what you said there, And thats every reason I bought the LRP set up
Old 08-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #101
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER

LRP said 5.0 for a big track, 6.0 for small.....

at my local track which is socal raceway which is like a bullring real small even the guys from ae are gearing them like 4.3 or 4.4 so on a big track i think you would be in the 3s
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTRACHTER View Post
LRP said 5.0 for a big track, 6.0 for small.....

at my local track which is socal raceway which is like a bullring real small even the guys from ae are gearing them like 4.3 or 4.4 so on a big track i think you would be in the 3s
Ohhhh gosh!

Grate, so I might have to run like novak gearing now....
Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I can't believe how much it cogs with the sintered rotor though.
My 6.5 and 7.5 run great with the sintered rotors, but I had to turn down the throttle exp while using my 6.5 to smooth out the "cogging". I don't know why the 7.5 didn't have any cogging problems, but the 6.5 did...You might have to turn your throttle exp down 15% - 20% and crank up your throttle profile on your speedo a little bit to smooth it out and not lose anything in the performance department. I look forward to hearing how well it does on the track from someone who has lots of experience with the Novak 13.5. My LRP 13.5 is waiting for me at the track so I'll get a chance to try it out soon too...
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
My 6.5 and 7.5 run great with the sintered rotors, but I had to turn down the throttle exp while using my 6.5 to smooth out the "cogging". I don't know why the 7.5 didn't have any cogging problems, but the 6.5 did...You might have to turn your throttle exp down 15% - 20% and crank up your throttle profile on your speedo a little bit to smooth it out and not lose anything in the performance department. I look forward to hearing how well it does on the track from someone who has lots of experience with the Novak 13.5. My LRP 13.5 is waiting for me at the track so I'll get a chance to try it out soon too...

Well for someone like me who uses a dx 2.0 and doesnt have expo, what should I do for the "cogging"???
Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #105
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to todb

i ran mine on an indoor carpet track with foam tires in 100 degree heat in tennessee this weekend. first brushless. i couldnt do orange so i waited till now. i worked on the gearing for a while and i got it ok at 40/98 with 58mm foams on an rdx. no thermal at all with the lrp spec tc esc. when the other racers saw it on the straight they knew it was a stock but they all said 19turn. this is with good ib4200wc batt from fullthrottle. now i have to tune the esc to my liking and all will be well in the universe. oh yea tweak sucks by the way. just had to share.
todb is offline   Reply With Quote