R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-21-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Fastest Radio / Receiver Combo

What's the fastest radio and receiver combo for surface racing out today?

1. Futaba 3PKS:

1a) w/ FAST module and 603FS receiver- you can run this combo with HRS mode for even faster operation than standard PPM mode.

1b) w/ Spektrum pro HRS module and SR3000HRS receiver- according to Spektrum wesite, this reduces the 3PK times from 5.6 mS to 2ms!!

2. KO/JR Z-1: w/ Spektrum PRO mod and Spektrum PRO receiver- note that you can run the KO in high speed mode with Spektrum mod and receivers- dont know if it actually makes it faster or not.

3) M11 w/ Spektrum PRO module and Spektrum PRO receiver-

Last edited by yyhayyim; 06-21-2007 at 08:54 PM.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
What's the fastest radio and receiver combo for surface racing out today?

1. Futaba 3PKS:

1a) w/ FAST module and 603FS receiver- you can run this combo with HRS mode for even faster operation than standard PPM mode.

1b) w/ Spektrum pro HRS module and SR3000HRS receiver- according to Spektrum wesite, this reduces the 3PK times from 5.6 mS to 2ms!!

2. KO/JR Z-1: w/ Spektrum PRO mod and Spektrum PRO receiver- note that you can run the KO in high speed mode with Spektrum mod and receivers- dont know if it actually makes it faster or not.

3) M11 w/ Spektrum PRO module and Spektrum PRO receiver-
Nomadio React... All of the module systems are slower due to the extra processing time from analog to digital...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Nomadio makes the fastest radio/reciever combo out there.
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

His question was not about any of the Nomadio Products....

My guess is that the fastest of your choices would be the 3pk in HRS mode as long as you use the Spektrum PRO module and RX or FASST module and RX. These radios are all very very fine pieces of electronics, and the difference in lag between any of these systems that you posted about is negligible.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #5
Tech Regular

The Futaba FASST is faster than you'll ever need it to be. In my experiences, less problematic than the Spektrum, as well.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Do you really believe you will understand the difference??

When I bought my KO Helios it came with a module. Then KO launched another module which was advertised to be faster and I bought it. Never understand any difference in speed (HRS was and receiver used was the faster from KO)

Now I use my KO with spectrum again with no understanding of the theoretical reduced speed compared with previous setup

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just FYI......Human reaction time of 200ms is considered very good so how the heck can ANYONE even feel or notice the difference even if one system is a whole 10ms faster than the next????
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Tech Elite

You will notice the difference at the end of a 5 min race! When you can push your car hot into corners for a bit longer and brake a bit later, you'll a little advantage per lap, which at the end adds up to winning by .5 to 1 second, due to your radio/receiver speed alone!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny9s View Post
Nomadio makes the fastest radio/reciever combo out there.
Dont know if that's true...can someone provide the stats to back that up? Also, its receivers are way too big...cant you run the REACT radio with spektrum receivers?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:19 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
You will notice the difference at the end of a 5 min race! When you can push your car hot into corners for a bit longer and brake a bit later, you'll a little advantage per lap, which at the end adds up to winning by .5 to 1 second, due to your radio/receiver speed alone!
Sooo, your reaction time will probably be lower then 20ms I suppose....

Come on, this really has no influence.... Even so, if you would even be able to feel 20ms of lag (0.02s.....) you would adapt and turn in 20ms sooner than the rest.
Has any of you guys played a fast paced online FPS game?? If you got a ping of 50ms its damn good, you start feeling a difference if you got 80-100 or so but still I dont see the need to dodge any rockets with my 1/12th ;-) so even 100ms would be good for a transmitter-receiver

Soon they'll be talking about what servo has the quickest spin-up cause that would make another 5ms!! I vote KO
Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
His question was not about any of the Nomadio Products....

My guess is that the fastest of your choices would be the 3pk in HRS mode as long as you use the Spektrum PRO module and RX or FASST module and RX. These radios are all very very fine pieces of electronics, and the difference in lag between any of these systems that you posted about is negligible.
THe Futaba 3PKS with Spektrum PRO HRS module and receiver is supposed to be even faster than 3PKS with Spektrum PRO module and receiver. I wonder if the 3PKS with FAST module and 603FS Receiver is as fast as the 3PKS with Spektrum PRO HRS module and receiver?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Also, the Futaba 3PKS seems to be newst version of all the top end radios...the KO EX-10 came out in 2004, and hasnt been updated. THe JRZ1, 2005...M11 2005...
Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS STORTI

i have used or owned all but the nomadio an i feel the 3pk with the fasst is the best in MY opinion
DENNIS STORTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Also, the Futaba 3PKS seems to be newst version of all the top end radios...the KO EX-10 came out in 2004, and hasnt been updated. THe JRZ1, 2005...M11 2005...

The KO didn't need any updating, the 3pks was released to bring them up to speed with the KO Helios competition. I LOVE my Helios Comp, by far the most comfortable and user friendly transmitter design I've ever held.

And I can't wait for the KO 2.4ghz stuff.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
The KO didn't need any updating, the 3pks was released to bring them up to speed with the KO Helios competition. I LOVE my Helios Comp, by far the most comfortable and user friendly transmitter design I've ever held.

And I can't wait for the KO 2.4ghz stuff.
Can't agree with you more...The KO Helios Competition Ver1 is one of the most balance radio I ever 'grap' on.

Though the difference in speed,I can't really feel it. To me it actuallly still feels like my ol' KO Mars.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote