R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 AM   #571
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

all vortex motors are factory fitted with sintered rotors mate...
Drift Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:01 AM   #572
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Received my "racing" 10.5 today. Man, what a nice motor. It's so light and short, it really helps balance the car. And yeah, it's gorgeous.

I've seen a number of brushless motors, and I have no idea who's making this one. It sure doesn't look like a Feigo like the last bunch. The design has a lot of unique features and attention to detail I haven't seen elsewhere. I'm really hoping its performance is comparable to the others, 'cause this is the motor to have.

And if its looks aren't enough to persuade you, how about the fact that it's available many places for under $80?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #573
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Received my "racing" 10.5 today. Man, what a nice motor. It's so light and short, it really helps balance the car. And yeah, it's gorgeous.

I've seen a number of brushless motors, and I have no idea who's making this one. It sure doesn't look like a Feigo like the last bunch. The design has a lot of unique features and attention to detail I haven't seen elsewhere. I'm really hoping its performance is comparable to the others, 'cause this is the motor to have.

And if its looks aren't enough to persuade you, how about the fact that it's available many places for under $80?
The story goes like this apparently:

They are made by Feigao

The "Racing" version is apparently not ROAR legal. Maybe that is why it is a good price
Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 AM   #574
Tech Lord

Really? If they're indeed made by Feigao, they changed quite a bit. There's nothing about this motor that looks like anything else I've seen from them in the past. I guess it doesn't really matter, but usually there's some indication. Even the rotor is significantly different than anything from Feigao.

I hope it performs better than the last design. I'm deeply underwhelmed with anything by Feigao I've used in the past.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #575
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:

I thought the same thing when I got mine. I hope looks = performance in our case. If they do this will be the best motor out there!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #576
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

my first duplicate post...
Old 06-14-2008, 12:44 AM   #577
Tech Lord

If you enjoy being passed on the straights, the 2008 "racing" 10.5 is for you!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:37 AM   #578
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
LOL I knew it was coming...Your motor seemed slower then your Novak.

Any Idea what successful FDR other drivers are running with this motor?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #579
Tech Master

Quote:

I so did not want to hear that. I'm on my way to the track now. It's like hearing a movie you really wanted to see sucked. Hope the 17.5 is better.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #580
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post

I so did not want to hear that. I'm on my way to the track now. It's like hearing a movie you really wanted to see sucked. Hope the 17.5 is better.
Quick review from the track...

So far the 17.5 is working out well. I have beat my best lap time by .2 on this track layout. I had to go up 3 pinions from my Hacker. I came off a little hot after that run..178. So I'll back it down a bit but I'm close.

My setup:
Xray EU 008
3.63 FDR
Tekin RS (80 percent timing)
SMC 4000

I will reduce the timing and then the pinion to see if I can get my temps down a bit. It seems like the 17.5 is a keeper for me at least.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #581
Tech Lord

I'm glad to hear it!

I need to experiment more with my 10.5 I guess. I can't adjust the timing in my ESC (yet). The motor couldn't touch my Novak, though, at least not with a full night of practice and racing trying to figure it out. I was getting pulled on the straights and the infield. I'd be curious to know if any has been successful with it, and if so, what kind of gearing/timing they're using. It felt like a 13.5. :-(

I can't get over the fact that it's a much shorter can. In my mind, less can means less wire means less power. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but so far, the short motors have been the slowest.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #582
Tech Master

Quote:
I'm glad to hear it!

I need to experiment more with my 10.5 I guess. I can't adjust the timing in my ESC (yet). The motor couldn't touch my Novak, though, at least not with a full night of practice and racing trying to figure it out. I was getting pulled on the straights and the infield. I'd be curious to know if any has been successful with it, and if so, what kind of gearing/timing they're using. It felt like a 13.5. :-(

I can't get over the fact that it's a much shorter can. In my mind, less can means less wire means less power. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but so far, the short motors have been the slowest.
Well at the end of the day I was able to shave .4 seconds off my fastest lap time from last week. I am not attributing all of that to the motor. I made some setup changes and it was my second week on the current layout. But I will say that the 17.5 seemed to perform fairly well. It needed a couple of more teeth on the pinion than the Hacker. With the Tekin RS I was able to make some timing changes. I left with my FDR at 3.71 and timing at 80%. My temps, with a fan, are in the mid 160's. I didn't have a spur pinion combo that would allow me to try less timing and more gear. Maybe next week.

Hope you find a sweet spot for your 10.5. . So far I have run a Novak 17.5, Hacker 17.5 and now the Orion. From what I can tell each motor has a different feel but can all be made to perform. I may try one more after this one...the Tekin 17.5. But maybe not. I think for me the Tekin RS has allowed me to have another tuning option which has come in handy.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #583
Tech Addict

hi

im new i've been racing for 1 year and i hade some LRP VTEC 4200 batteries for this motor but they only last for 2minutes not more i really need help to find some great batteries to last at least 6 minutes my budget is around 35 quid thanks guys
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #584
Suspended
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Does anybody know where to start gearing the new 2008 4.5 motor for TC? Straightaway is about 135 or so feet.

I got mine coming in the mail and can't wait to try it.

Last edited by StickyFingaz; 06-23-2008 at 01:52 AM.
StickyFingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 AM   #585
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Try 135 Martin....FYI.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote