R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #466
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

If anyone is intrested i have a 13.5 ( new version ) with 1 pack run through it ... my wife is expecting within the next week or two and i would like to get rid of some stuff .


pm me guys if intrested
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #467
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,762
Default

Can someone please tell me if the Orion Vortex 10.5 is sintered or bonded?

Thanks
Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #468
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lake Elsinore, ca
Posts: 873
Default

I am fairly sure all the Orion rotors are sintered.
__________________
FT B44 - FT J82
LRP TC SPHERE - Futaba Fasst
Orion Lipo & Vortex motors
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #469
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,201
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Can someone please tell me if the Orion Vortex 10.5 is sintered or bonded?

Thanks
Skiddins
sintered
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #470
Tech Master
 
TheCoolCanFanMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Watford
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Can someone please tell me if the Orion Vortex 10.5 is sintered or bonded?

Thanks
Skiddins
Hi Skiddily
I seem to remember, that James from Mirage uk saying that the rotors are sintered on the Orion 10.5, as are the rotors on the SS Novak, but the smooth can the cheaper version has a bonded rotor.
Malc
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #471
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 374
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Ive just completed fitting acer ceramic bearings to my 7.5 vortex. It feels alot more smoother, great bearings. When i took the motor apart though, & when it came to the rotor, the fan was free spinning, it was not adhered to the rotor in any way. & now that it is free spinning, i can hear it get caught up on the side of the motor can & it makes a really bad high screeching sound.

But, i am looking to upgrade my rotor. So, here are my questions. Will a speed passion rotor fit in? what size rotor should i look at getting aswell? thanks for any help...
Drift Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #472
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,201
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Demon View Post
Ive just completed fitting acer ceramic bearings to my 7.5 vortex. It feels alot more smoother, great bearings. When i took the motor apart though, & when it came to the rotor, the fan was free spinning, it was not adhered to the rotor in any way. & now that it is free spinning, i can hear it get caught up on the side of the motor can & it makes a really bad high screeching sound.

But, i am looking to upgrade my rotor. So, here are my questions. Will a speed passion rotor fit in? what size rotor should i look at getting aswell? thanks for any help...
just take the fan off and put some washers to make up the difference , the motor will run better with out it
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #473
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 3,940
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Anyone try Orion's newest 13.5 with the 12.0 rotor? Or is this an old motor?

http://nexusracing.net/product_info....oducts_id=1446
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #474
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Anyone try Orion's newest 13.5 with the 12.0 rotor? Or is this an old motor?

http://nexusracing.net/product_info....oducts_id=1446
I found it to be as slow as their earlier version, at least on a tight track. Maybe it would do better on a more open track.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #475
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 3,940
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

The track I race at is 100x50 so maybe it will be alright.

Do Novak BL's have fans on their rotors like the Orion's?
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #476
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Do Novak BL's have fans on their rotors like the Orion's?
No
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #477
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 3,940
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I found it to be as slow as their earlier version, at least on a tight track. Maybe it would do better on a more open track.
Have you tried removing the fan from the rotor and see how it performs without it? I know with my 4.5 when I took the fan off it felt like it had more rip.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #478
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 374
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

After a few runs with the new bearings, i have noticed the seals on the bearings are causing friction, the motor slows down alot quicker than before. since the rear bearing is fully sealed inside the motor, i was thinking of removing the seals (whats the easiest way to do this?) & on the front bearing, leave the outside seal on but remove the seal from the inside (sorry if it sounds confusing)

I would also like to completely remove the fan & mount. does anybody know the length of the fan mount where it fits on the shaft, & what could i use to replace it? brass/copper piping, what would be the best solution. I could use motor shims, but i would need heaps of them though...
Drift Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #479
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Demon View Post
After a few runs with the new bearings, i have noticed the seals on the bearings are causing friction, the motor slows down alot quicker than before. since the rear bearing is fully sealed inside the motor, i was thinking of removing the seals (whats the easiest way to do this?) & on the front bearing, leave the outside seal on but remove the seal from the inside (sorry if it sounds confusing)

I would also like to completely remove the fan & mount. does anybody know the length of the fan mount where it fits on the shaft, & what could i use to replace it? brass/copper piping, what would be the best solution. I could use motor shims, but i would need heaps of them though...
I took a dremel and chopped mine off, chop it off like a square, and then sand it untill its nice and round... Took 5 or so mins to do, havent ran it yet though..

IDK on your first question though
__________________
R1 Wurks/Awesomatix USA/Roche USA/Protoform/Solaris/Mo Speed/Speedworld Raceway
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #480
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 374
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The whole fan assembly is coming out, i found some trinity motor spacers on tower that ill use in its place, im also grabbing some trinity teflon shims aswell, incase theres not enough spacers to compensate for the fan.

Im sure i can get the seals off the bearings with some tweezers or something like that...
Drift Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Orion Vortex 13.5 Brushless Motor SammyZ R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 09-10-2008 08:31 PM
Orion Vortex 6.5 Brushless Motor AaronR R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 02-25-2008 06:35 AM
Team Orion 3.5 Brushless Vortex Motor Racer4Life R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 08-01-2007 10:55 AM
Team Orion Vortex brushless motor 10.5 $50 macaofriend R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 07-14-2007 11:02 AM
Team Orionís Vortex Brushless motor gearing? JoeyE Electric On-Road 2 06-30-2007 11:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:56 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net