R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo
Rick, is this motor going to be ROAR legal?
It has to be submitted for approval but it meets all the specs so the approval is just a formality.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default sensor less speed control

Question. These motors can be used with sensorless speed controls? What senorless speed contols work best with brushless motor. My Sphere blew up after 2 weeks of use I want something better.
fred kellner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have the castle creations mamba maxx set up will these motors be compatible witrh that and so you have plans on releasing a 13.5 version to compete in brushless stock?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred kellner
Question. These motors can be used with sensorless speed controls? What senorless speed contols work best with brushless motor. My Sphere blew up after 2 weeks of use I want something better.
There is a lot of anticipation for the Tekin R1 Brushless. In testing byu the pros it has had good results. Much smaller then all the existing brushless ESCs
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #20
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks Rick. Do you think it will be approved before the Reedy Race?
I tested out the Tekin R1 Pro brushless setup this weekend with the Tekin 3.5 brushless motor and it ran great. Now I just need a ROAR legal motor to run for the Reedy. Have you tested the Orion motor with sensorless systems?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to D Hunt 3

Will you guys only have low turn on-road syle motors like the 4.5 and 3.5 in the novak, or will there be a more off-road motor, like the 6.5 or7.5 in the Novak.

Thanks

Edit: Just found the motors on the Orion website, answered my question.
D Hunt 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is there any information how the 10.5 turn orion compares to the 4300/10.5 Novak?
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

Default Vortex 4.5

Hi, I'm very tempted by the new vortex 4.5 to run with my new LRP sphere TC, but can anyone confirm how these run in comparison next to LRP's or Novakís latest offering - I'm nervous that this is Orionís first attempt at a Brushless motor (discounting the original Vortex ) It's taken LRP and Novak two versions to provide a reliable motor! Also it looks in some of the pics that this motor has a built in fan, but again I can't find any specs listed for these motors. Why hasnít Orion published full motor spec, RPM, Watt, Efficiency etc...?
Finally if this motor has got a built in fan, does this mean it's more open (vented) than the more traditional design (LRP,Novak) - will this require more maintenance/cleaning.

Cheers
y0k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #24
Tech Regular

I can tell you that the motor has a build in fan. By that it makes more noise, but if it needs more maintenance I do not know (yet).

We only tested the 3,5T with a Novak esc and the motor was very fast and made more noise compared to the 3,5T Novak. The needed FDR for the 3,5T vortex is a little lower for the Vortex compared to the Novak 3,5T.

In about 3 weeks I'm going to test the 4,5T vortex with the LRP Sphere TC. So no answers from me at this moment about this combination. I'll also test the 3,5T but in that wide long track (MACH in Holland) I think I won't drive for the full 5 minutes with a 3,5T
Old 04-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0k0
Hi, I'm very tempted by the new vortex 4.5 to run with my new LRP sphere TC, but can anyone confirm how these run in comparison next to LRP's or Novakís latest offering - I'm nervous that this is Orionís first attempt at a Brushless motor (discounting the original Vortex ) It's taken LRP and Novak two versions to provide a reliable motor! Also it looks in some of the pics that this motor has a built in fan, but again I can't find any specs listed for these motors. Why hasnít Orion published full motor spec, RPM, Watt, Efficiency etc...?
Finally if this motor has got a built in fan, does this mean it's more open (vented) than the more traditional design (LRP,Novak) - will this require more maintenance/cleaning.

Cheers
More info will be posted on our website shortly.

Like with many of our products, we look at what works and what doesn't. A completely sealed motor has its advantages. If you are playing in water, mud, or sand, naturally a sealed motor will keep this stuff out. But the Vortex is designed as a competition motor (there will be sport version down the road). And because of this we feel that motor cooling is more important than a perfect seal. So it is vented, and it does have a built in fan type device to move air through the motor to keep operating temps down to improve efficiency and reduce fade.

In a competition setting, the motor should require little or no more maintenance than a closed BL motor. If you are driving on the beach, it might not be your best choice.

Last edited by Rick Hohwart; 04-03-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

any know the motor's power
slrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 20 Minute Mains

In an effort to race closer to home this summer, I've decided to build a T4 designed for 20 minute mains so I can race at the local nitro track. I've got some questions for the orion guys:

1) The cooling system and sintered rotor of the Vortex seem ideal for 20 minute mains, but it does not have a "perfect seal" and that might be a problem on an outdoor nitro track and I only want to to clean the motor every 15 - 20 runs. Should I try a Vortex or just stick to using my LRP 7.5's with bonded rotors and "perfect seals"?

2) I'm going to have to buy a Maxamps 8000 for the long mains, but I'd rather buy an Orion lipo if I had the choice. Is there any chance Orion will be coming out with a lipo soon that can fit in a T4 and be capable of 20 minute mains? I just want to check before I make any purchases.

Thanks in advance for your answers and for being so helpful on the web. It's not going unnoticed! Here's a picture of the track:

Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #28
Tech Adept

what is the best esc to use with the 10.5 motor i know it isnt out yet but i want to get ready
Aid1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hi anyone tried using lrp tc spec with this motor? and compared with a vector x11 4.5 motor? thanks. i'm planning on buying a lrp tc spec esc i just don't know what motor hehe tia...
bmmer701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #30
Tech Rookie

HI!

which is the timming to be put with orion vortex 4.5 and LRP 2007 speedo ??

more timming or not ?
pitipotinou is offline   Reply With Quote