R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2001, 04:47 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Cool Turbo 35BL, Protrak or Schulze Charger

Dear All,

I need some opinion on the best 3 charger on the market: Turbo 35BL, Protrak and Schulze ecoselect.
xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 05:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

im using a turbo35bl and the features that i like about it are:

1. long lockout - this charger never falsed peaked my packs, even if use a low cutoff voltage

2. motor run feature - you can run comm lathes, brush cutters, and break in your motor without having a separate 4-cell pack. just make sure your power supply can handle the current draw. when i charge at 4 amps, current draw for the power supply is about 6 amps. but when i use the motor run feature, it jumps up to 14 amps.
3. discharge and cycle feature - i use this in between racing seasons to maintain my batteries, especially nicads. this feature provides lots of useful battery info such as discharge time in seconds, internal resistance, discharge voltage, etc.
also, the automatic cycle feature means that i can program the turbo to cycle my packs at any setting i want. this way, by pushing a few buttons, i just leave the pack while it cycles then store it when its finished.

sorry, im not familiar with the other 2 chargers you mentioned.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 07:50 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

xray- I have both the Turbo 35BL and the protrak. Marvi already gave you the goods on the 35 now let me fill you in on the Protrak....it has the same discharge and cycle modes as the 35 but it gives you the total pack info as well as each cell. It comes with a plug in that runs from the charger to each cell using colored aligator clips. Each clip has to been attached by color in order for the car to give you a reading. The Protrak doesn't have the same motor run in feature that the 35 has. It has a pulse motor break in feature that surges every second. It can't power a lathe or help you set the timing on a mod motor. One big feature that I like about the charger is the storage feature for 3000 batteries. Some say that 3000's need to be stored with a 50% charge in them but how do you know when a pack has a 50% charge in it? The Protrak does all that for you by mah. Half of 3000 is 1500 so that is what you would set the part charge feature at. It have two different charge settings for nicad and nimh. To me it's the best charger on the market. The info that it gives is really helpful but.....your you might find out that your killer A-main pack really isn't all that great The Protrak isn't sold in the US so it will take longer to get compared to the 35. The Protrak was also cheaper in price than the 35 but you have to factor in shipping from Englad. The currency out there is always changing so you would have to call or email them for the current price. I'll will go and look up Protrak's web address for you and post it later. If you find it before I can get back to you and you email them address it to Phil and let him know that Clint said hello. Phil is the onwer. Good luck and I hope someone else comes on here to give you info on that 3rd charger.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:32 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

STLNLST: I too am interested in the charger web address.

thanks
rodneybarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 08:56 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

www.users.zetnet.co.uk/pro-trak/

email- [email protected]
Old 11-30-2001, 07:43 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Thank for the info guys.

It's really confusing! I guess the bottom line is all the charger is good on their own way!

Anybody experience with Schulze Charger?

Old 11-30-2001, 11:39 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Re: Turbo 35BL, Protrak or Schulze Charger

Quote:
Originally posted by xray
I need some opinion on the best 3 charger on the market: Turbo 35BL, Protrak and Schulze ecoselect.
Depending....

Let's think about the use you plan to do with this unit.

Bulk Charging your packs to the next day race?: Winner: Schulze EcoSelect (I have a unit and works wonderful).

Rematching your cells? Winner Turbo 35BL. (I have a TM4 unit for in-house work with cells).

All Around: Winner: ProTrak.

Talking in real world terms I have a Schulze to do track charging and discharging and on home I have CE TM4 to match and relabel my cells and friends packs.

My choose is for the Schulze unit: Small, Sturdy and very, very reliable use in the track. Their 3 outputs for charging and discharging packs beats all.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 09:04 PM   #8
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Corse-R: Do you have a link to the Schulze charger?
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 11:45 PM   #9
Tech Master

Default Re: Turbo 35BL, Protrak or Schulze Charger

Quote:
Dear All,

I believe you already have the T35BL. Why don't you get the other two (I know you could afford them) and just put aside the one you don't use.....hehehehe...

Not considering BMS at all???
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 07:32 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
Corse-R: Do you have a link to the Schulze charger?
Yep! check this:

http://www.schulze-elektronik.com/index_uk.htm

Yes, I know, these colour is simply horrible, but the electronics inside them are of first class! On USA the estimated 'retail price' should be about 500 US$, but sure you can get about 300 or 350 bucks.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 03:05 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Corse-R,
For competition, which charger has more punch and power?

Old 12-02-2001, 03:11 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Pyramid, can you give me any reason why should I consider BMS?

Old 12-02-2001, 06:36 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Pyramid, can you give me any reason why should I consider BMS?

Since I believe money is not THE subject to you, BMS will give you the most punch as it really hard pulse your battery. A 1 year old RC2000 has been tested with BMS special charging features to peaked at 11+ Volts.

Moreover, Danny H has tested the charger and looks like he loves it soo much. You may want to ask his opinions.

Hard pulse you battery (7.5A or more on pulse charging) logically should shorten your battery lifes. Since you race for Nationals, I don't think that would be a problem.

How's the Xray, still having hard time with the wheels screws??
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 06:54 AM   #14
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R

Yep! check this:

http://www.schulze-elektronik.com/index_uk.htm

Yes, I know, these colour is simply horrible, but the electronics inside them are of first class! On USA the estimated 'retail price' should be about 500 US$, but sure you can get about 300 or 350 bucks.
Thks CorseR.... The colour is only as bad as the Protrak!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 07:26 AM   #15
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
Moreover, Danny H has tested the charger and looks like he loves it soo much. You may want to ask his opinions.

Hard pulse you battery (7.5A or more on pulse charging) logically should shorten your battery lifes. Since you race for Nationals, I don't think that would be a problem.
Pyramid and XRAY : Yes... I love it !!! I use 6A for 3000's and believe it or not, the runtime also increased. So I get killer voltage and more runtime... hehe.... i prove it last week and this afternoon with my one-year-old battery
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote