R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-15-2001, 09:17 AM   #106
Tech Regular

I guess that Orbit made the Race version with the car racers in mind.

We really don't need 30 cells (unless we are raving mad ), but we may need 8 amps.

The Race was the one I got.
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 06:13 PM   #107
GKC
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to GKC

For your info, my V6.0 reaches 8 amps during auto charge.
GKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 11:01 PM   #108
Tech Master

Cool! Didn't notice u had one that day.

BTW, what ampherage should the power supply be able to provide? 10A? 16A? May I know what you're using?

Thanks.

~Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 05:53 PM   #109
GKC
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to GKC

10A to 16A should be ok. But the recommeded power supply is 30A for transfomers and 60A for 12V Lead Acid. I have problems with batteries not charging to full with lower Amps but once I switched to the 60A lead acid no more problems. Hope this helps.
GKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 06:01 PM   #110
Tech Master

30A for transfomers? Man that's one big power drainer... the coil is gonna be huge. well thanks for the heads up! Gotta check prices for such a big transformer @ slt. Biggest I worked with on a power supply was 3A, guess it's time to use heavier wire and tons more transistors this time
Old 12-29-2001, 06:34 AM   #111
Tech Master

ttt
GKC - how much/where'd you get your battery?

Also if by chance have you used your Orbit Microlader to charge Li-ion and the smaller motorcycle type batteries? One key point I want of this charger is it can charge my camera batteries, the slow charger takes AGES!

Else I dunno if it really is better than my existing cdc.

Thanks.

~Alvin
Old 12-30-2001, 05:47 AM   #112
Tech Regular

I have the Eagle CDC (recently sold), Orbit Race and the Schultze Ecolader Select. The schultze is still the best charger of the lot. It has never failed to peak a pack no matter the condition of the cells.

Schultze:
Three inputs simultaneous charging.The first input maximum charge of 10A and Maximum unaided discharge is 10A. The second input has a maximum charge of 5A and discharge is 5A. The third input is for a maximum of 2A and is meant mainly for reciever and transmitter pack. To discharge beyond 10A an additional load is required. Four charging modes

1) Linear 2) Pulse 3)Linear + Refresh 4)Pulse + Refresh

Peak detection is done by one or a combination of the following

Delay, Voltage, Temperature, Capacity or Time

Main Weakness : Cell Cycling can be a bit tricky as they do not have a time delay between the cycles to allow for the cell to cool down.

Orbit:

Single input maximum of 8A charge and Discharge. Profiles for Lead acid,Ni-CD, Ni-MH, Lithum and glow plug test. The last function can be used to run in motors (cool Feature and only available on the Race). Reflex charging and Cell formating are also available. It does not suffer from the false peaking of cells as the v6.0 and the Pro from insufficient Amps.

MAin Weakness:

The charger cannot allow the user to set current and peak detection voltage. These settings are limited.does not come with PC cable.

CDC:

Good first charger with a wide variety of functions. Ni-CD and Ni-MH cells selection. Peak delta can be set from 3mv - 15mv. Discharge is up to 20A. Cell Cycling with time interval and cycling times up to 9 is available.Maximum charge is 7A. Did not have a false peaking problem with the charger.

Main Weakness:

Not much functions. Cannot select charging method nor peak detection method.

Hope that Helps
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 07:58 AM   #113
Tech Regular

viper,

I have the Orbit race and you can adjust charge and peak.

Peak has three levels the lowest is for NiMh. The Auto program chooses the current for you, but the Easy Charge or reflex charge let you adjust the current.

The Easy is a plain linear charge program.

The cable is not a problem (nor the software). The pinout is described on the online manual (if I'm not wrong it's a normal D9 cable).

Sometimes I use Hyperterm to capture the charge (or discharge data) in tabular form. Some times the graph is neat, but the raw data can be very helpful.

The charger has a heatbeat of 5 sec and it sends the values through the Com port.

Anyway, I bet the Schulze is more loaded with features (the price is also remarkably different).
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 08:28 PM   #114

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

phew! Just got finished reading the whole topic. After what I've read here (this is just my opinion) the CE T35BL is still the best all around charger. My Dad has one (it's really both of ours, but he uses it) and it's great. I thought the Schulze looked good, but if you can only charge up to 10 amps on ONE of the leads, then the other two can be rendered useless because with the new cells (sanyo 3000 HV), it is very common to charge above 5 amps (max capability of second lead). Also being able to discharge at max of 10 amps means the data obtained (if any ???) is really useless because ideally you want to discharge at 30 amps, as this is the most realistic rate.

The pro-trak seems OK, but the motor pulsing really limits what it can do other than charge. The charger, with the temperature detect(do you need this) and shipping to the US is almost as much as the T35BL. If it is a similar price, but can't run a lathe, brush serrater etc. then the T35BL still looks more appealing. If you don't need the temperature detect, then it might look better.

The T35 doesn't have all the fancy charge modes, but by the sound of it they only decrease battery life. OK for someone sponsored who gets free batteries, but not for someone who doesn't (or isn't rich). It still does have 3 memories, and ton of ajustable features for charge, can discharge up to 30 amps, give numbers and a graph and can run a lathe and brush serrator.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 09:32 PM   #115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
phew! Just got finished reading the whole topic. After what I've read here (this is just my opinion) the CE T35BL is still the best all around charger. My Dad has one (it's really both of ours, but he uses it) and it's great. I thought the Schulze looked good, but if you can only charge up to 10 amps on ONE of the leads, then the other two can be rendered useless because with the new cells (sanyo 3000 HV), it is very common to charge above 5 amps (max capability of second lead). Also being able to discharge at max of 10 amps means the data obtained (if any ???) is really useless because ideally you want to discharge at 30 amps, as this is the most realistic rate.

The pro-trak seems OK, but the motor pulsing really limits what it can do other than charge. The charger, with the temperature detect(do you need this) and shipping to the US is almost as much as the T35BL. If it is a similar price, but can't run a lathe, brush serrater etc. then the T35BL still looks more appealing. If you don't need the temperature detect, then it might look better.

The T35 doesn't have all the fancy charge modes, but by the sound of it they only decrease battery life. OK for someone sponsored who gets free batteries, but not for someone who doesn't (or isn't rich). It still does have 3 memories, and ton of ajustable features for charge, can discharge up to 30 amps, give numbers and a graph and can run a lathe and brush serrator.

Speedo
The pro-trak motor pulse feature is a great way to break in brushes without placing a huge load on them. I have both the Protrak and Turbo 35. Shipping wasn't all that bad either condsidering that it came all the way from England. The value of money is always going up and down out there so the price of the charger depends on what the going rate is at that time. When I bought mine with a few extra items plus shipping the price was still cheaper than a turb 30 or 35......also since I have bought my Protrak charger they have updated their software and I was sent the chip to update mine for FREE. CE never offered to update the Turbo 30 I sold to get the 35 for free. Each charger has it's + and - and each racer will have different needs when it comes to batteries. The fancy charge modes have helped keep my packs working great for the last year.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:40 AM   #116
Tech Regular

Hi Antoniop,

Thanks for the info. What i meant was that the charger cannot allow you to set the peak detection voltage outside of the three levels indicated. The Fast charge is available up to 6.5amps. The charger is great and together with the schulze i have a great setup that allows me to run just about anything plus charge three packs simultaneously.

Hi Speedo,

Yes the discharge function is really useless on its own but that is only limited by the charger and the nice thing is that you can purchase an additional load tha will allow you to discharge at 30A. The charger also includes everything you need including the cables to check individual cells for matching purpose. The cable to connect the charger to the PC is also included.

BTW i also have the turbo 35 but have relegated it to just being my bench charger because it is too big to carry around.

Cheers
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 07:47 PM   #117

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

haha...Yeah, it's pretty big, but not so big you can't take it to the track! I don't take size into account though, my Dad and I fill the entire back seat and trunk with stuff when we go racing
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 01:38 PM   #118
Tech Apprentice

Default integy chargers

I was looking at the integy 16x5 with the power supply on stormer hobbies or maybe the 16x9 does anyone use these or know of the differance between the 2?
Buda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 05:43 PM   #119
Tech Rookie

Cool Chargers

Anyone want tries a CDC 16X5 charger before? Ever since I bought this charger, I sold the rest of my chargers.
SPARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 06:59 AM   #120
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 16x9 / Eagle CDC

Hi,

I recently bought a second hand Eagle CDC, which is very
much the Integy 16x9.

The 16x9 is basically a 16x5 circuit with a TDK 12V 12.5Amp
switching power supply. I am surprise that Eagle and Integy
website both claim that it has a 14Amp power supplies.

Check out http://www.tdk.co.jp/tefe02/eA121_JAW.pdf for
the data sheet for the power supply. It is JAW12-12R.

Also, the CDC has only one fan, which I replaced it as a NMB
fan. I find that the cooling design is not very good. Planning
to modify it by adding another side fan to cool the power
supply and the main circuit board. The current fan only cool the
big heatsink that hold all the MOS FET.

Lastly, I wonder anyone familar with ATMEL AVR microcontroller ?
It will be nice to reprogram the software to make some modification.

I think overall it is a very good charger. A little improvement
will be nice.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote