R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-07-2001, 09:48 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I wouldn't cycle them tonight, I'd just charge them at the track tomorrow. After the run if they haven't dumped, dump them on a discharger (light bulbs, Turbothirty, whatever) then let them cool off completely before charging again.

If you're going to put them away for the week, just discharge to .9V per cell, then put them away until the next weekend. Before you charge them at the track, tray them just until the lights go out, then charge em up.

If you're not going to race them one week, cycle them. Charge them, then discharge at 20 or 30A til .9V per cell, and put them away.

Trips
Old 12-07-2001, 10:24 PM   #77
Tech Adept

Thanks Trips for the detailed information.

What equipment would you use to discharge each cell down to 0.9V ? Would you just set the discharge cutoff at 5.4V and assume that when the job is done, each cell will be at par 0.9V?

So the cycling is not supposed to be done before a race? Damn my previous concepts had been wrong.

You said if the packs were to take a week's rest then they should undergo cycling. Then what if the packs were to take two weeks' rest, should we cycle them once a week for two consecutive weeks?
rcethilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 02:10 AM   #78
Tech Adept

Alvin, last time I have a change to attend one of the Kawada race, supprisingly there are about 5-7 people using Schulze charger. Is this charger popular in Singapore?
xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 02:15 AM   #79
Tech Adept

Daniz, all the BCS has taken out?? how many of them is coming?

In this case, then my only option is buy the Schulze charger
Old 12-08-2001, 04:26 AM   #80
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by xray
Daniz, all the BCS has taken out?? how many of them is coming?
I'm just kidding to MissX... hehe... BCS arrived 4 unit (said Mr. Andhy) and also the BMS. 3 of them are reserved (Me, Mr. Susanto and MissX) so there's only one available. For BMS only 1 have been reserved (as far as i know) by Mr. Heri.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 04:43 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic

What shop is this, do they do mail order overseas? I'm looking for a BMS or BCS, how much are they? Money is no problem!!
Please I need one of these!!
rccarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 08:10 AM   #82
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rccarracer
What shop is this, do they do mail order overseas? I'm looking for a BMS or BCS, how much are they? Money is no problem!!
Please I need one of these!!
Send mail to TQ-Racing (check my signature)
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 09:03 AM   #83
Tech Regular

Default Re: Orbit Microlader

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
What do you guys think of this charger?

http://www.orbitronic.de/model/e_produkte.html

Alvin,

I have one of these. I have to say that's excellent.
Adjustable peak, capable of handling Li-Ion, Lead, Glowcharger, Recondition cells (what they call format) discharge (mild, but I never do it on the charger because I use trays to bring voltage down), PC link to store charge and discharge graphs, reflex charge, etc etc.

The charger is very compact and it's my primary unit. The other one is a Millenium.

It has special charge program (you set the peak) and it checks the pack behavior during charge, using an algorith to evaluate IR in intervals. The program could not be easier to use.
The packs don't get warm like the charge on the Millenium.
The graphs plotted are like this:

It may a bit expensive to get out of Europe but in here it's excellent value.

Last edited by antoniop; 12-08-2001 at 09:11 AM.
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 09:37 AM   #84
Tech Adept

Antoniop, sounds interesting! have you compared it to schulze charger??
Old 12-08-2001, 10:16 AM   #85
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

I am interested in getting a new charger soon. I am now under the impression that the Schulzes Ecoselect is a very good choice, however, the price is really prohibitively high for me. Does anyone here have any experience with the Yokomo chargers? The specs look good on the Yokomo Japan website. How do the Yoks perform vs the Ecoselect? What functions do they lack? TIA : )
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 11:58 AM   #86
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by xray
Antoniop, sounds interesting! have you compared it to schulze charger??
I almost bought a Schulze...(the expensive ones...) but I needed a charger at a reasonable price, able to charge at higher current and I had no need for 30 cells and things lke that.

If you talke out the excellence of the Schulze top end chargers,
the Orbit has the same programs (cell types, in cluding Lithium-Mangan-Oxid or Tadiran, is able to charge at higher currents already has the PC Interface. The discharge current is higher and the LCD shows you me about what's going on.
The only problem is that it DOES not show the highest voltage attained by the pack. Instead, after peaking it just shows the current voltage.
However it shows on the LCD if the trend in voltage is up, stationary or down. This is very helpful if you want to see how the pack is behaving.

Main diffs:
Just one output, less cells and probably a lower price (I would not rate this one as a disadvantage).

So, in spite of really wanting a Schulze, my decision was to get what I needed instead of what I wanted and I don't regret it a bit.
The Schulze is a must if you want to charge packs with lots of cells (20-30) but for car use, a charger that goes up to 8 cells is perfectly adequate.
Anyway I have an Astro charger for 18 cells and that's more than enough.

The quality of the Orbit is excellent. It could have a better design but if we can live with CE or ProTrak equipement I'm sure we can live with the Orbit design
Old 12-08-2001, 02:38 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by antoniop
I almost bought a Schulze...(the expensive ones...) but I needed a charger at a reasonable price, able to charge at higher current and I had no need for 30 cells and things lke that.
Antonio: Welcome to 'Schulze club'. In not much time you appreciate the charger (well, the looks, really not...).

Have you bought an Eco Select? or an ISL?

What about the talkings with Jim Greenemeyer? have you decided what motors need for the next season? Let me informed (I need to talk someday to get more motors).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 07:13 PM   #88
Tech Adept

Antonio, I thought you are using Orbit charger?
Where did you buy your Schulze charger? how much?
Old 12-09-2001, 05:05 AM   #89
Tech Regular

oops,

See? The specs are so similar that Corse-R thought I bought the Schulze (LOL).

I DID BUY THE ORBIT. The specs seem to be a carbon copy of the Schulze wothout the multi port feature.

An external resistor may also be used to discharge in line with the charger in order to get to those 20A.

The software has a way to enter the resistor value for calculation and graph.
Old 12-09-2001, 07:34 AM   #90
Tech Adept

antonio, can you explain more details on the features of Orbit charger?