R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   MR4-TC Custom (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/16888-mr4-tc-custom.html)

doublest 04-22-2003 01:44 PM

MR4-TC Custom

Ive just bought one of these and while im waiting to recieve it, can anyone tell me if they reccomend any hop ups that will improve the car a lot.

Thanks

anthony 04-22-2003 01:48 PM

i've got the TCR kit (very similar) and i'm looking at the Vspec hop up kit.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/yok_tc.htm

its about 65 GBp, so it's quite a big kit.

otherwise, i got the silent rear belt and the soft front belt, and a tamiya suspension set, i found that the ones included were not of much use.

also, i have made a few weight reducing mods with a drill, knife and sandpaper

Cole Trickle 04-22-2003 01:50 PM

Congrats on your car, it's very durable, yet competitive.

What do you want to do with the car? What do you got already? Please tell some more, then we better can help.

In general:

For bashing, get whatever you like.

For racing, get a good collection of pinon/spurs, springs/shock oil and tires/inserts. About tires, ask the fastest guys at the track, what they use, and simply get the same.

A good charger is also important.

anthony 04-22-2003 01:55 PM

is it worth getting the hollow gear arm? this would save a lot of rotating mass.

has anyone tried it out? how much difference does it make?

doublest 04-22-2003 02:00 PM

I will recieve the car in 2 days and i really want to race, get good and enter competitions.

So want a reliable car.

Thanks

anthony 04-22-2003 02:02 PM

in my experience the car will be reliable out of the box,

try to get a spare spur gear and spare belts, if one of these goes, your raceday is over.

also, if you can get spare pinions, do so, as it is an important part of setting up the car to the track.

maybe a spare set of bulkheads and suspension arms is worth taking as well.

as with any car, if you hit it hard enough, it will brake, but mine seems fairly solid.

Cole Trickle 04-22-2003 02:10 PM

The MR4 is veyr durable.

Have you raced before?

doublest 04-22-2003 02:32 PM

Nope, had a few offraod cars wen i was smaller, but im doin it propper now.

kaizen 04-22-2003 03:02 PM

Originally posted by anthony
is it worth getting the hollow gear arm? this would save a lot of rotating mass.

has anyone tried it out? how much difference does it make?

In answer to your question, a decrease in rotating mass is beneficial, but is pretty negligible with this upgrade. If you are starting out, I would suggest that you center your attentions on more practical bits like the others have suggested, i.e. pinions, a-arms, technology (radio, esc, batteries, etc.), and -- most importantly, in my opinion, tires. Find what tires (Sorex, TakeOff, Pit, etc.) the fast folks are using at your local track and use them. Of course setup (understanding how changes impact the car's handling is important), but that will come with time.

Good luck!

Kyew 04-22-2003 11:44 PM

Racing with the Custom:
as suggested, get spare arms (actually the nylon ones that come with the custom kit are already very durable), pinions plus different springs to start with. Priority is to get the right tires for your track.

johnbull 04-23-2003 12:01 AM

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

DOUBLST.

I have sold quite a few MR4 Customs, and a number of them are raced regularly.

The car itself is very good, robust and reliable. It's basically a cheaper version of the MR4 that won the world championship, European championship, etc. and there's nothing wrong with that.

As far as the car itself is concerned, the first thing I would do is replace the spur gear adaptor with the Yokomo part ZS630H. This will allow you to use different spur gears. All RW Racing spur gears fit straight onto that. There is little else I would do with the car itself.

What I would be choosy about is electrical equipment. Buy a good speedo. I recommend Novak. They are bullit proof. Also you are better off spending on good cells and charger, and tyres and inserts. It's not worth skimping on any of those.

I run Yokes myself and love them. The MR4 custom handles well, straight out of the box. If you wish to upgrade anything, get a set of adjustable alloy shock bodies for your present shocks, but I can't honestly think of anything else, except perhaps soft belts.

have fun.

Joe from sunny Malta.

iron chef 04-23-2003 07:02 AM

A few other suggestions for parts that brought my mr4 around

front kingpin ballstud
offset front hubs
new rear hubs w/ 4 mounting holes
silent belts (orange color teeth)
plastic diff halves
upper front sway bar kit
rear arms with adjustable wheelbase
belt tensioner upper turnbuckle

Go back thru the mr4 thread all 3000 posts. The guys here really know their stuff and posted tons of set-ups and ideas that I used to build my yok from used junky custom to spv2 specs!

Headbanger 04-23-2003 04:14 PM

The only thing significant with the V-spec conversion is the front one-way and low friction belts. Everything else is cosmetic. Threaded shock bodies is a plus.

Check out the v-spec review:
http://www.schumacher.clara.net/vspec.htm

-Headbanger

NightKidZ 04-23-2003 11:54 PM

kyew : An observation abt the nylon arms. They get warped after collisions and stay warped. I have experienced this before and it messed up my car's UJ and handling quite badly. Thats why I prefer the composite arms, at least there is no question of warping, its either they are straight or they snap :)

Cheers

Cole Trickle 04-24-2003 12:52 AM

Originally posted by doublest
Nope, had a few offraod cars wen i was smaller, but im doin it propper now.
Then I'll strongly recommend you wait with things like one-ways.

Getting good in racing, requires a proper setup. So things proper pinon/spurs, springs/shock oil and tires/inserts are mandatory.

A good charger will both prolong battery life AND give you more speed.