R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-24-2003, 03:18 PM   #46
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

I like my GT7, i am interested in what those Keyence speedo's can do though...anyone else wanna comment on that?
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:49 PM   #47
Tech Master

if you can sell your current speedo and invest in one keyence you will come on here and tell what a fool you have been for not having one of these speedos long agao. nobody can compare a novak charger to any CE charger made.
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:32 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Balak Racing Send a message via Yahoo to Balak Racing

I have personally seen many a Quantum leave a nice white smoke screen down the back straight. I have used Novak ESCs for years, and I've never blown one. I've never seen one blown either. There is one place you will consistantly see Novak in just about every major race - the winners circle. Saying that Novak is "old technology" is BS. Keyance is WAY too expensive in my opinion. Also, the Novak brushless system isn't expenive. It's very affordable, when you consider your getting a microprocessor controlled ESC and a mod motor that never needs maintenance.

Bryan
Balak Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 11:12 PM   #49
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The other reason you see so damn many of those ORANGE things in the winners circle, MARKETING!!! If they keep GIVING away speeders that the rest of the public pay for, they have less to spend on technology. Yes, I have some novaks, but I have seen many more novak speeders in need of repair. They have gotten a lot better than they used to, much better. And their service dept is probably the best around. I have not had the opportunity to use the lrp service yet (I have not run my new one). I can say that my tekins went in only a couple of times. The novaks went many times. GM, mine went in a couple of times (too bad thier presence is gone in US like it used to be). One of my keyence did go bad (since no repair in states it's still in need of repair).

Again, anything electrical CAN go bad. Just try to find a company you feel comfortable that their service presense will be around for a while...........
dsrbltoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 11:51 PM   #50
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by UCHEATULOSE
if you can sell your current speedo and invest in one keyence you will come on here and tell what a fool you have been for not having one of these speedos long agao. nobody can compare a novak charger to any CE charger made.
I was not the one to make the comparison between the Novak and CE charger (I believe they fall into different markets).....that was YOU! However, it would appear that you are doing your comparison by reading specs and looking at pictures.....which is not a very good judgement.

Anyone who has used the GFX will say that it is damn good charger and discharger...however, their user interface still leaves a little to be desired. It has gotten a lot better, but by no means perfect. A REAL look at the quality of the GFX display will indicate its short comings.........

I would also be interested to see if your comments about the GT7 is also based on "what you see and what you read" rather than actually using the thing!

Keyence is not a bad product...it is in the same league as the GT7...certainly not in a different league!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 11:55 PM   #51
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

PS- I "personally" think the first generation Novak charger sucks also....however, that is my opinion and I keep it that way...rather than try to sell it as fact!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:33 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

I haven't had any problems with the second generation Millenium aka Millenium Pro. Charges very well. I have always run Novak ESC's and i probably will continue to do so. The only times i've had to send them in were MY fault, the speedo just didn't go on me like that...
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:34 AM   #53
R/C Tech Founder

I can't speak for other companies since it has been years since I've run non-Novak stuff, but man, Novak has some of the best customer service and product support that you will find in any industry. For that reason alone, I stick with Novak stuff whenever possible.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:42 AM   #54
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Balak Racing Send a message via Yahoo to Balak Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by dsrbltoys
The other reason you see so damn many of those ORANGE things in the winners circle, MARKETING!!! If they keep GIVING away speeders that the rest of the public pay for, they have less to spend on technology.
Marketing isn't a bad thing. There are plenty of drivers who race in regional, national, and international events who don't use Novak stuff, and sometimes they win. Novak isn't the one that decides which ESC the drivers use. The drivers are the ones that sign the contracts. If you were a professional driver, would you use a product that you knew was substandard just because the company offered you money? Over time, your driving performance would drop, and you'd loose your sponsorship. I'm not too aware of Novak "giving away speeders that the rest of the public pay for". I know Novak used to give stuff away in monthly contests - Because I won They don't seem to do that anymore. Novak spends plenty of cash on R&D. They were the one that spearheaded the brushless motor movment of late. Team Orion has too. You can bet that ROAR and Ernie and the boys at Trinity didn't (and aren't) going to make it easy for Novak to campaign for a brushless class in racing.

Bryan
Balak Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:30 AM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
I can't speak for other companies since it has been years since I've run non-Novak stuff, but man, Novak has some of the best customer service and product support that you will find in any industry. For that reason alone, I stick with Novak stuff whenever possible.
Dito ..Novak has top of the line Customer service

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:01 PM   #56
Tech Elite

I'd have to third that about the Novak customer service being very good.

Novak has been around since the beginning and that takes more than marketing; they have great products and great service.
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:15 PM   #57
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RBLove
I believe there is no turn limit with a GT7. I found the GT7 to not have very good punch, but is very smooth. Good mod 12th scale speedo.

I recommend the KO VFS2000....
RBLove..

I'm thinking of getting the VFS2000 w/controller...How is it? I've got the GT7 already...need something new for my SD. I've heard alot of good things about the KO...lmk...

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:25 PM   #58
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tough choice There! I have personally only used Novak stuff And have never had problems. I have seen LRP's blow up in races...7.1's and quantums. I heard of some new gt7's doing the same and recently I heard that Novak said you need to run 3-4 barrel type shottky diodes to prevent this. Word has it they they have a new type of diode to remedy this problem. I haven't had any problems with my gt7's. I saw a new one at the Cleveland indoor nats and it looked flat and square. I think the Keyence is only good for oval racing. Those are the only guys around hear who have them. And Novak does have the BEST cust. rep.!
Old 04-25-2003, 09:11 PM   #59
Tech Adept

I'm thinking of getting the VFS2000 w/controller...How is it? I've got the GT7 already...need something new for my SD. I've heard alot of good things about the KO...lmk... [/B][/QUOTE]

RBLove, do be careful with the VFS2000 speedo. The speedo is very sensitive to Heat. I blew one VFS because of, I think, overheating. I personally know somebody who blew several of the VFS. I don't know the reason why he is still using the VFS though. Many racers in the region don't want to use the VFS.

Another points is that the VFS is veryyy smooth. If you want more punch, you have to purchase the Controller, and alter the frequency and the dead band. Unlike the other speedo the VFS only has one built in profile.

A.W

Last edited by Pembalap; 04-25-2003 at 09:20 PM.
Pembalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:49 PM   #60
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi guys....
is it necessary to use a fan to blow the esc for mod racing??
lonestar1127 is offline   Reply With Quote