Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XXS or Yokomo??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default XXS or Yokomo??

I am looking at returning to the hobby at club level.

I currently have a Yokomo MR4 TCR, but i don't think it will be up to the level of competition at my club.

i have looked around, and the following options all seem OK

- Upgrade my TCR with a VSpec conversion and an SP chassis

- Buy the Losi XXXS (not the graphite version)

- Buy a Yokomo Mr4 SP2

i don't really want a TC3 as these always get broken at the local track, and besides, everyone there seems to have one

whats the best thing to do? i want the best performance for the minimum money (but don't we all )
Old 04-22-2003, 10:39 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You should check out the new Yokomo MR4 SD. www.yokomousa.com . It should be available next week and is a really good car that needs no hop-ups. The XXX-s G+ would also be a good choice.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Mo,

So, the MR-4TC SD will be out sometime this week? Ummm, I want one.

I was about to have my folks fly the TB EVO 3 Limited Edition from Bangkok, Thailand.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Tech Initiate

looks nice, but the price

a little high for my current budget (although i might consider selling my brother, anyone interested?)

i was thinking something lower in value, more like a standard XXXs or hopping up my current Mr4.

is the old mr4tc still good? i quite like the idea of an upgrade
Old 04-22-2003, 11:07 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The pricing is the same as any other high-end kit out there. You should see them for sale for about $280.00. The old MR4 is still a valid competitor though.

Komkit, the kits should be arriving at Yokomo USA later this week. They have already received the first shipment of parts for the cars as well, so parts availability should be good at the same time as the kits.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Tech Initiate

i think i might upgrade the Mr4 - a Vspec conversion to start with, and then maybe a SP conversion afterwards, see what i need.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

The first thing that I would look at is parts availability - if you break something race day - can it be replaced or will it have to be ordered? Most tracks carry parts for AE and Losi... some carry for Yokomo -

As for the cars - I ran a MR4-TC worlds for quite some time and was very happy with it - Yoke makes quality machines... My first choice, however, is the XXXS-G+

Wilde
Old 04-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Tech Initiate

my local track tends to carry some spares for AE, but i don't really want this car.

it might have some for Losi, but nothing of any significance. It carries almost no spares for Yoko.

If i upgraded my yoko, that would leave me with quite a few spares that i could take with me.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

There's a Yokomo MR4 Tc Custom in our club. It's been on the top-2 for a good time.

I was close to get one myself, but got another good offer which I choosed, due to my budget

The MR4 is very durable, so parts avaiblity shouldn't be a big problem, but of course, it do matter.

From what I know from the MR4 at our club:

* The CVD's aint the best, so they worn out. Upgraded.
* The shocks are leaking, but they are okay.
* Upgrading the belts helped a lot in acceleration.

So the V-Spec conversion will take you a long way. But remember, using the anti roll bar, requires new A-arms. But the old one will server as spare parts.

I also like to be different, so I'm running a Pro2 (3 months old). It's quite funny to beat the guys with their new fancy cars. So all in all, I would probably upgrade the MR4, if I were you.

But do the math carefully, if your CVD's need to be changed and there's a few parts, which are worn out, it could be too expensive. I know another guy at our club, which got the MR4 Special for a very, very nice price, because of the release of the SD. So if your LHS got one, try and ask him.... This way you also got plenty of spare parts....