R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #211
Tech Champion

All I will say is it doesnt matter what class you race, its always the consistant guy that wins races.

Sure,cost is always going to be a factor but what percentage of newcomers drop out of racing because they lack patience and discipline on the track?

To do well you also need a lot of time to improve your skill and understanding of the car and how different things change its handling.

All im saying is time and skill cannot be something you can pay for over the counter....

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 AM   #212
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Those who have talked about cost have hit it right on the nail. Two questions come to mind when a new person enters the hobby. Can they go fast? and how much will it cost. There are many a time when I looked at a car and just about CHOKED at the cost of a high end car.

So the solution is to make it fast ENOUGH for a new person and make it the cost LOW enough. If you tell a person that in order to get to the speeds you go is going to cost 400 dollars? they'll just walk away. But if you run a car that does 20ish MPH, for 150, they will be all over that like white on rice. That 150 should include everything but be basic enough not to scare people.

a 2 channel AM radio that has servo reversing switches and some sort of an ARC and EPA adjustment would be good for a start. Computers are stupidly cheap nowadays and there's no excuse for charging 1970's prices when computers are involved.

Add in a 3000mah battery, a basic peak charger, 27 turn motor, a basic set of rubber tires that last for at least a dozen races, a basic chassis, and gear the car properly for novice racing and I'm sure you're going to get an explosion of racers. All this can be done for 150. And for pete's sake.. DON'T blow off the new guy just because he doesn't have the latest tech.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #213
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to stoptherockets3
Smile More Advertisement

Back When Rc First Started In The 80's Everyone Had One My Dad Had 6 Electric! But Now This Hobby For Millions Has Been Replaced With A Less Expensive And Less To Think About Hobby VIDEO GAMES! I Think That If Companies Would Advertise On T.V And At FootBall Games And Such It Would Get People To Buy Them. I Know That Traxxas Has The Monster Truck T-Maxx But That Is Not Enough! Advertising Would Really Get This Hobby Going Again, As For Me I Learned About This Hobby 4 Years Ago When I Was 13 Now I Am 17. And I Plan To Start Racing Soon But Guess What The Closset Track In My Area Is 141 MILES AWAY!

!Ohh And I Just To Share This Look What I Did To My T-Maxx 3.3!
Attached Thumbnails
Future of RC-hpim0119.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #214
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to stoptherockets3
Talking Problems And Solutions!

Problem One - The Cost, If You Want To Race Your Rc You Need MONEY!

Problem Two - Since Video Games Are Replacing Rc There Are Less And Less Tracks And More And More Eb Games!

Problem Three - Newbies Don't Know How To Fix Them And They Go To Their Hobby Shop To Get Them Repaired And They Look At The Price And Say I Better Be Careful With It Next Time And They Leave It Sit In Their Closet.

Solution 1 - Advertise

Solution - 2 Make It Cheaper

Solution - 3 Make More RTR RC

Solution 4 - Have Companies Make And Maintain Rc Track (THEY CAN AFFORD IT AND IT CAN ONLY GET THEM MORE COSTUMERS)
Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #215
Tech Master

Money will not buy you skill.
The more you get better, the more expensive equipment you will buy to extract more potential from you/car. At least that is what I found from 15years of RC. If you don't get better, you see no need to buy those kinds of things. That is where the line is drawn between the enthusiasts from the casual bashers. In that sense, more RTRs choices will be a good way to get ppl to get their foot in. All the expensive stuff can come later. And yes, there are people that go all out from the beginning, but if they show no signs of improvement on their side, the disappointment is bigger and usually leave.

People just don't want to get dirty these days. Can't help if you can change tranny gear ratios and swap engines in a push of a button in a videogame... Most of the regulars at my track are mechanics by trade or work on their real cars. A lot of bashers these days don't even want to turn a screw on their cars. I see at the LHS, a mountain of RTRs all dirty that has really minor problems. Problems like a bent universal, broken arms, stripped spur, etc. If that is how the demographic is gonna be, then there is no way that those people will be "tuning" their cars at a race.

But with this shotgun approach with RTRs, maybe we can filter out some good racers... But we need more ADVERTISING to do this. Not in some niche magazine, but more mainstream. HPI and Tamiya has put their logos on real race cars, and have commercials when the race is aired. Things like that get more awareness for potential people (real car fans).
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #216
Tech Addict

The other problem is it takes months or years to get good. Kids get good at video games very quickly. it's a different animal but could explain the low level of patience.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #217
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I see a little talk about magazines and advertising on this thread.

What do you guys think of the magazines and the type of coverage they give the hobby? To me it seems a little...ah, like a bunch of fluff. Nothing in them that really helps promote and drive the industry.
genesisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #218
Tech Addict

Wow, in the short term the future of RC apears to be Trans Am.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:57 AM   #219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerdude42 View Post
Wow, in the short term the future of RC apears to be Trans Am.
1. Cars look like real race cars.

2. Cost controlled spec formula.

3. Focus is on fun, not win at all costs.

Sounds like Trans Am has a good recipe for success for club racing. Which, in my opinion, local club racing shouldn't be so hung up on trying to use the same rules as the top national races/racers.

The example I always use is your local short track race car driver isn't running a $500,000 NASCAR car of tomorrow, and he's not driving as fast as Jimmie Johnson, but it's still great racing.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #220
Tech Apprentice

Low cost and remembering fun is first are the main ingredients. Maybe this new Pro10 class can bring back something like that.
pepecueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #221
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

I feel that customer service is what it's going to take to get this hobby over the slump and into the next era. How many times have any of us been at the track and have seen some new guy/girl sitting in the corner frustrated to the point of tears wondering why the heck they spent any money on a race car? Or that same person afraid to ask a question because they feel it might be dumb to ask? We all started as noobs. If we are going to make our hobby stronger it's going to take EVERYONE being an ambassador. Yes it starts with advertising and the big r/c companies looking to supply the demand of what the consumer needs. But if/when that happens what are we as a whole going to do? Advertising will bring curious people into the hobby stores and tracks.But it will be us bashers/racers that keep people coming back. We need...no we have to do our share. It starts with the companies and trickles down. I challenge any sponsored driver stop working on his/her car and take the time to help that frustrated person sitting in the corner afraid to ask questions. Or to see a sponsored driver take the time out of his/her schedule to help the track director organize an event. How about a sponsored driver start a driving clinic? We need to get back to the grassroots. Make it fun and they will come should be our new theme. What makes this a great sport/hobby is the people...not the products. The consumer should drive this hobby not the companies. I have been out of this hobby for almost 2 years and I am getting back into it because of the idea of "Trans Am" racing. What a great idea and it goes along with the make it fun and they will come idea.

Ray
Ray Kindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #222
Tech Regular

Angry

video games...

i played 1,000 of dollars worth of video games in arcades...lot's of fun but r/c was the next level for me..i like to build the cars and run well with them..did it on my own

video games in the late 90's and present....kids don't master these games....

they get dad to buy the game and as soon as the box is opened they are on-line getting cheat codes to beat the game in 1 hour...not weeks or months!

now we have RTR r/c cars.......and now we have reached the next level of RTR....pro built r/c cars...cars built by guys who have been in this hobby for years and know how to wrench on a car and do all the little things it takes to have a good car..........

the microwave era is here! i don't want to waste an entrie week on building a car kit and another 3 years on what to do and what to change on the car to make it fast.......i want it now! like the chick in willy wonka!

it's very sad
MOTHER FOCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:35 AM   #223
Tech Champion

I'm with you all here, when I was 18-21 I was into modified full size cars/meetings, video games, women and a good supply of alcohol, I still kept r/c racing, but it wasnt my first choice.

There is too much out there which grabs a young males attention more than r/c and that is something which is hard to change.

my local club is doing a good job attracting new members though, keeping its existing members with some good club racing, as well as hosting some big UK events, something for everyone

Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #224
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCracker View Post
OK scary post

I just switched out of nitro TC into electric and I just went through all my receipts for everything I have bought to run TC stock and 19t and the total was

$6,200.00

Highlight the white space between this line and the last one above

Dont tell the wife

Thats a very competitive setup Losi Type R, 3PKS radio, full pit equipment, 2 power supplies, 2 charges, lathe, tire warmers, spare parts enough to build another kit, selection of pinions and motors, selection of rubber ranging from carpet to aggressive asphalt and tools including airbrush and compressor.

I did also include the cost for my tool box, dolly, ez up canopy, folding table but then its all part of the same thing.

Now Im not saying that anyone new to this hobby is going to spend anything like this but it gives you an idea what a full setup is for competitive racing. Not exactly cheap
.........that's insane.........you could have a TOP NOTCH 1/8 on-road setup AND an enclosed trailer to wrench in at the track for that kind of coin........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #225
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom View Post
I feel that customer service is what it's going to take to get this hobby over the slump and into the next era. How many times have any of us been at the track and have seen some new guy/girl sitting in the corner frustrated to the point of tears wondering why the heck they spent any money on a race car? Or that same person afraid to ask a question because they feel it might be dumb to ask? We all started as noobs. If we are going to make our hobby stronger it's going to take EVERYONE being an ambassador. Yes it starts with advertising and the big r/c companies looking to supply the demand of what the consumer needs. But if/when that happens what are we as a whole going to do? Advertising will bring curious people into the hobby stores and tracks.But it will be us bashers/racers that keep people coming back. We need...no we have to do our share. It starts with the companies and trickles down. I challenge any sponsored driver stop working on his/her car and take the time to help that frustrated person sitting in the corner afraid to ask questions. Or to see a sponsored driver take the time out of his/her schedule to help the track director organize an event. How about a sponsored driver start a driving clinic? We need to get back to the grassroots. Make it fun and they will come should be our new theme. What makes this a great sport/hobby is the people...not the products. The consumer should drive this hobby not the companies. I have been out of this hobby for almost 2 years and I am getting back into it because of the idea of "Trans Am" racing. What a great idea and it goes along with the make it fun and they will come idea.

Ray
two problems I can see to start with, first is the newcomer who:

a) needs to study into how car setup changes the way the car gets around the track and

b) needs the pro's to step in and help them, which they may not notice if they are not asked (busy charging cells, getting their own car ready)

c) The newcomer needs more track time to drive consistantly.

I will help out any guy who asks for an opinion, and will ask for help too. My car was 2 laps off the pace in the first round of qualifying yesterday and a lap off the 2nd time round.

Asked a good friend what springs to run and ride height, he noticed I was driving the car more through the tyres and not allowing the suspension to work in harmony, dialled the car in and BINGO, I was TQ.

It pays to ask around when things are not working out well for you.... even if like me you have 13 years of racing under your belt.... I went on to take the overall win for the round too