Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 cell Stock for the ROAR Onroad Nat's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 5 cell Stock for the ROAR Onroad Nat's?

Will 5 cell work in stock for the ROAR Onroad Nat's?
Has anyone tried it?
SIR is an indoor track, shorter than the normal outdoor track for the ROAR Onroad Nat's.
I'm wondering if the lower weight of 5 cell, with less power, will help or hinder the acceleration from the tighter turns, or will the higher corner speeds make up the difference ?

Just curious.
Fred
Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

no...it will not...
Old 06-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Try it....one 6 cells pack and one 5 cells pack...back to back, and compare lap times and overall 5 minutes..and you will get yourself an answer.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

U better put the monster gear on for 5 cell.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Not to change the subject........................................... ......but we all need to think what it is going to take to get more people (racers) in this hobby. With the batteries, motors, cars and bodies, the speed is great for the experienced racer, but NOT for the beginner or novice. And all the experienced racers are starting to dwindle! We NEED new blood for this hobby to survive! More and more tracks, hobby shops and racers are disappering from racing! The manufacturers need to be thinking slower motors and less cells, like oval did a few years back. Also limiting entries to less classes. Right now there is brushless--13.5/10.5/4.5/3.5--brushed--stock--19 turn--modified--rubber tires--foam tires. These are all fine, but I believe that we as racers are too diversified. I'm not sure of the answer here, but I do know that there are less and less racers (entries) at most all club races. Maybe I should have started a new thread.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:34 AM
XRC
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
Not to change the subject........................................... ......but we all need to think what it is going to take to get more people (racers) in this hobby. With the batteries, motors, cars and bodies, the speed is great for the experienced racer, but NOT for the beginner or novice. And all the experienced racers are starting to dwindle! We NEED new blood for this hobby to survive! More and more tracks, hobby shops and racers are disappering from racing! The manufacturers need to be thinking slower motors and less cells, like oval did a few years back. Also limiting entries to less classes. Right now there is brushless--13.5/10.5/4.5/3.5--brushed----stock--19 turn--modified--rubber tires--foam tires. These are all fine, but I believe that we as racers are too diversified. I'm not sure of the answer here, but I do know that there are less and less racers (entries) at most all club races. Maybe I should have started a new thread.

Amen!!! I couldn't agree more.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Your just soo old ya seen it all.....
Old 06-15-2007, 08:42 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well they will probably be running 5 cell in open modified, with 3.5 (or variants of) brushless motors. There isn't a power loss there. I think what will happen is you end up with a bunch of guys playing 5 cell touring car ping pong on such a small track. Will be fun to watch, but will be a race of attrition.

I think we'll see that the 5 cell brushed cars in open mod are faster, much like on a larger track. Less weight, more corner speed, and less mass to accelerate. The cars are also more nimble with 5 cell, so they will be able to skirt around the tighter track easier than the 6 cell counter parts.

It's kind of lame that we're jumping on the "lets do everything that Europe does" bandwagon, but I guess that is the way RC racing in the USA is. 5 or 6 cell, I don't think it will hurt the race; it's still going to be fun to watch.

As for bringing new people in, it's just adding to the confusion... I don't think this is going to help, or hurt the hobby, it's just one more thing for guys like me to explain to new guys when they walk into the shop full of questions. There just aren't enough new people trying to come into the hobby..but that's a whole different thread.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Legend

silver can
stock 27T
19T

and now you wish for ...

5 cell 27T stock ?

Too funny ....
Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Most of the talk so far has been about mod running 5 cell, but thats a relatively small class when compared to stock and 19t.
I remember that Harsh tried 4 cell stock and the times were down to the Mabuchi/silver can class.
The lighter weight of 5 cell combined with the harder tire, RP36, might not be a good combination, so far after 6 runs on a new set at SIR, they are just starting to scuff in.
Will be something to try this weekend.

PS.
Started this thread to talk about the stock class at the ROAR Onroad Nats,
HOPE it doesn't turn into another racing is dying/lipo/BL argument.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Legend

Do you really feel 5 cell`s Nk- Ml has a future ?

I mean , all I see as of late, is racer`s everywhere switching to Li-Po & brushless...

Sure , I think 5 cell stock would of been a great idea a few year`s ago , but today ?

Its kinda to late, don`t chea think ?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you check the 2007 ROAR Nats Thread they are looking at running 5-cell in Mod, also there is some talk as to if it would be worth running in Stock and 19T
Old 06-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

geo, lets talk local tracks here in the NW, Fantasy worlds big ass outdoor track, they have a brushless 13.5 class. almost all are running lipo's the one guy that keeps winning over and over.....hes using those old fashion style batteries.

fred is asking about 5 cell in the stock class, why try and change the subject. if you have tried it, and wish to share your thoughts then jump right in, if you have a opinion the what the 5 cell will do and not do... post away. but for gods sake george, quit trying to change the subject of every thread you post on into a lipo and BL thread. is it the future, will everyone be running it someday, who knows, probably, but right now, we discussing something else.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by skypilot
geo, lets talk local tracks here in the NW, Fantasy worlds big ass outdoor track, they have a brushless 13.5 class. almost all are running lipo's the one guy that keeps winning over and over.....hes using those old fashion style batteries.

fred is asking about 5 cell in the stock class, why try and change the subject. if you have tried it, and wish to share your thoughts then jump right in, if you have a opinion the what the 5 cell will do and not do... post away. but for gods sake george, quit trying to change the subject of every thread you post on into a lipo and BL thread. is it the future, will everyone be running it someday, who knows, probably, but right now, we discussing something else.

What the hell !!!

I`m on topic !
please stay on it Ritchie (Skypilot)

I would think if you are going though all the trouble of creating another stock class you would be interested in making sure it has a future...

Not trying to turn this into another thread , just interested in commenting on basing it on technology that is not going to be around is not so wise....

hopefully even convincing a few.....

That by basing a "new" class on tech used by the "new" customers will be most constructive for the sport .
Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
Not to change the subject........................................... ......but we all need to think what it is going to take to get more people (racers) in this hobby. With the batteries, motors, cars and bodies, the speed is great for the experienced racer, but NOT for the beginner or novice. And all the experienced racers are starting to dwindle! We NEED new blood for this hobby to survive! More and more tracks, hobby shops and racers are disappering from racing! The manufacturers need to be thinking slower motors and less cells, like oval did a few years back. Also limiting entries to less classes. Right now there is brushless--13.5/10.5/4.5/3.5--brushed--stock--19 turn--modified--rubber tires--foam tires. These are all fine, but I believe that we as racers are too diversified. I'm not sure of the answer here, but I do know that there are less and less racers (entries) at most all club races. Maybe I should have started a new thread.
Well said brutha......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.