R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #31
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
Thanks, to the 5 people that actually responded to the original question.

To the rest:
Try reading the thread header.

This is about the ROAR Onroad Nats, Governed by ROAR rules, a handout 27t motor and ROAR approved battery.

There is NO brushless stock motor or lipo battery for this race.

and YES, I will be attending this race.
Fred

AMEN!!!!
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Try it....one 6 cells pack and one 5 cells pack...back to back, and compare lap times and overall 5 minutes..and you will get yourself an answer.
Just remember, in going from 6 cell to 5 cells you will be only running 83.33% as much voltage...so GEAR UP equally. Probably close to 3-4 teeth higher...

Try it, you may be suprised...don't let negative posts change your mind on trying something new...find out for yourself. You really would need to give it at least 2 maybe 3 runs...but if you do the math you should get close on the first one.

I don't think 5 cell STOCK is the future, but that doesn't mean it can't be run at certain places by certain people. I would like to see rules allow the use of 5 cell w/ a weight reduction within the 6 cell class. On some tracks, I think you might be really suprised...
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan van Steeg View Post
In the Netherlands we are racing 5 cell for both. The stock and the mod. For mod it's a good thing because with 6 cell's the problems are to big at the big circuits we have here in the Netherlands. For stock it's also not bad. First I really don't like it and I was one off the biggest fighter for a 6 cell stock class this year. But after 2 nationals and a couple off clubraces the laptimes are the same as 2 years ago with the 3700's. Out off a corner it feel a little more dead(isn't it a stock class?), it's now all about corner speed. So, even on the biggest track's(when we in the Netherlands are talking about a big circuit then it's not normal big. gear ratio 3,6 is normal en 3,3 is possible) it's fun to drive the 19 turn with 5 cell's. Even some sponsored mod drivers are playing around with the stock sometimes to have fun. And we have fun
Thank you Jan, that was the answer I was looking for.
The ROAR nats will receive a deviation for 5 cell and a weight reduction to go along with it, it's not been stated yet if it will cover all sedan classes or just mod.
It's worth a shot to try, so will test this weekend, will let you know how it turns out, as long as Harsh doesn't find out

Also thanks to SWTour, and of course PW.

Last edited by C_O_jones; 06-15-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: sp
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #34

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

People are talking about running 5 cell STOCK? Oh my.

Have fun with that guys. I think I will go buy a Monkey and a Football and see what comes of it..
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #35
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

*crickets*
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas View Post
People are talking about running 5 cell STOCK? Oh my.

Have fun with that guys. I think I will go buy a Monkey and a Football and see what comes of it..
Hey Wes, I don't know anything about 5 cell and with the deviation I thought I would ask. And from what Ive' seen, you guys don't need to buy a monkey, you already have a football!
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Mod guys asked to run 5 Cell since it worked so well at the Reedy Race in Invite. They were faster on 5 cell than the Open Mod guys with 6 cells and how fewer motor problems.

While they may allow stock and 19T to run 5 cell I dont think any one will choose to do so in those classes.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #38
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post

The Mod guys asked to run 5 Cell since it worked so well at the Reedy Race in Invite. They were faster on 5 cell than the Open Mod guys with 6 cells and how fewer motor problems.

While they may allow stock and 19T to run 5 cell I dont think any one will choose to do so in those classes.
well Adrian 5 cell with the 10.5 may work , remember i ran it today and it was pretty good
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #39
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We had a full-blown flame war in here about LiPo, and this thread still couldn't make it past page one. I think you have your answer about who's interested in what.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

not
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #41
Tech Legend

WAY !!

I`m interested in the possibility of having all of this combined into one stock class and 19T class...

In other word`s

Lets run a 5 cell , li-Po or 6 cell, with brush or brushless motor`s stock class ...

Let "racing" and "racer`s" decide which is best for racing .........
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:36 AM   #42
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
WAY !!

I`m interested in the possibility of having all of this combined into one stock class and 19T class...

In other word`s

Lets run a 5 cell , li-Po or 6 cell, with brush or brushless motor`s stock class ...

What is racing in your opinion and how do you see it whit all those classes you have ?

For me racing is having fun ! with my friends, in whatever class it is. The more drivers, in the same class the more fun we have.

In Holland we had some discussion about 5 cell racing like Jan said, but our nationals are attended with more drivers as in previous years.
Lots of people were saying 5 cell 19 is sh*t but 19 turn is still very competative.
A number of racers are racing modified now. They moved up from 19 to mod. . When you want to go fast race modified !

Lipo is not the way to go here in Europe for rc car racing. With those large tracks we have you will ruine everything in the car.

Our tracks can be found on website's

www.mach.nl
www.amcaracing.nl

Try to see the problems not only in your region. The world doesnt stop at your track only !
Frans H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #43
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas View Post
Well they will probably be running 5 cell in open modified, with 3.5 (or variants of) brushless motors. There isn't a power loss there. I think what will happen is you end up with a bunch of guys playing 5 cell touring car ping pong on such a small track. Will be fun to watch, but will be a race of attrition.

I think we'll see that the 5 cell brushed cars in open mod are faster, much like on a larger track. Less weight, more corner speed, and less mass to accelerate. The cars are also more nimble with 5 cell, so they will be able to skirt around the tighter track easier than the 6 cell counter parts.

It's kind of lame that we're jumping on the "lets do everything that Europe does" bandwagon, but I guess that is the way RC racing in the USA is. 5 or 6 cell, I don't think it will hurt the race; it's still going to be fun to watch.

As for bringing new people in, it's just adding to the confusion... I don't think this is going to help, or hurt the hobby, it's just one more thing for guys like me to explain to new guys when they walk into the shop full of questions. There just aren't enough new people trying to come into the hobby..but that's a whole different thread.
here in the UK 5 cell stock has been tried by a few peeps.......indoors on short tight tracks, not much difference except the bigger pinion used to get more speed....on larger tracks the 5 cell stock is bloody useless.

Problem is as mentioned before ... too many classes....

Looking at how Europe and UK have run there modified class 5 cell mostly with brushless.....you guys in tyhe US should try it.

We run 1350g chassis weight and 5 cell open... so that 3.5 brushless in most cases......no you thought 6 cell with a 7 is fast.. you guys havent seen anything.

lighter cars, controllable speed... ridiculous speed.....at every track these cars race at lap records have been broken, well more like smashed normally by almost a lap if not more.

I dont think 5 cell stock is the way.

Looking at whats happening in the UK i think next year well end up with 5 cell modified and possibly 5 cell 19T or similar.

27T will obviously stay at at club and regional level, but our nationals will be dropped to 1 /2 classes.. which could also be due to the drop in attendance.

You guys have it easy......pretty much all motors are legal etc.....thats no so here, but we are working on it

Pete
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:52 AM   #44
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
WAY !!

In other word`s

thats the problem... the racers dont really have a clue what Everybody wants, only what the racer wants him/herself.....

ROAR or the BRCA in my case need to take all views and then make a decision based on the information.....

The whole sport needs a Kick up the ASS, stop with all the rules, simplify it all, but make penalties for bending the rules harsher at nationals.

Motors - as long as you can buy it in a shop.....u can use it.

caught cheating.... go home.....simple
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:53 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
Can you guys please take your lipo or nothing attitude to the lipo threads. This guy asked a question about 5 cell stock........and he got this crap.

6 cell packs and brushed motors can beat lipo / 13.5 systems now so why not a 5 cell brushed motor or brushless motor do the same. There is no need for lipo. Ask syndrome ..... Bill Sydor runs 6 cell packs and brushed motors.

I think 5 cell will come before lipo.... Here is my reasoning.. We come off the track with 1500mah in stock right now and a good 900 or more in 19t. So why the heck would you want to run a lipo pack and use even less of the pack while your running your 5 minutes. We go 5 cell and make everyone run the 5 minute race and come off the track with 300 or so mah left in the cells and actually use the entire pack.

Running lipo in a 5 minute race is like buying 1 gallon of paint to paint the front door of your house... When you really only need a quart of paint.
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote