Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some questions about the TT01

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Some questions about the TT01

Ok, I'm getting into RC again, my last car was an F103 and Tl01 , I'm going towards the TT01, It's most likely going to have a 12-10t now, I'm curious, what's weak on this car?

I'm going to straight out get the aluminum drive shaft, and someone told me the front is really weak and should get an alum upgrade as well.

I'm also wondering if I should go ahead and get the ball diffs, I had my Tl01 running at ~50MPH with a 10t before I sold it, so I know I can do the same with the stock gearing on the TT01(they look essentially the same).

So, I'm planning on getting aluminum shaft, and the aluminum drive cups, or just CV joints, but I need to know the weak links on this car, to eliminate them before I start building the kit, any suggestions will help
Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Havoxx
Ok, I'm getting into RC again, my last car was an F103 and Tl01 , I'm going towards the TT01, It's most likely going to have a 12-10t now, I'm curious, what's weak on this car?

I'm going to straight out get the aluminum drive shaft, and someone told me the front is really weak and should get an alum upgrade as well.

I'm also wondering if I should go ahead and get the ball diffs, I had my Tl01 running at ~50MPH with a 10t before I sold it, so I know I can do the same with the stock gearing on the TT01(they look essentially the same).

So, I'm planning on getting aluminum shaft, and the aluminum drive cups, or just CV joints, but I need to know the weak links on this car, to eliminate them before I start building the kit, any suggestions will help

wow, tt01 with a 10t.... that's a lot of power...

first of all, stock steering is crap, find a 3 racing one with bearings and shim it...

dampers, they don't even have oil, check out some aftermarket ones...

aluminum shaft, ok with that....

bearings, put some bearings!!!

spurs, for a 10t you're going to need lots of these, specially if you crash...

i think everything else is pretty much indestructible...

if you're already decided, go for it.... for a little more I would reccomend the TA05... much more tuning options out of the box....but that's me. I still have a TT01 around that I play with the guys from the work at lunch time with 23T RZ motors... lots of fun...
Old 06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I've found with my tt-01 it is near impossible to break. But the drivetrain is somewhat weak. I've broken a few driveshafts. The bearings need to be replaced. The steering has ridiculous slop. The spur gear is weak (somebody sells a delrin one). The stock tamiya pinion's are weak. The shocks are crap. The bumper rips. The stock tires are terrible. Then some of the screws need to be replaced with ones that fit better.

After you get all that replaced it's a nice basher.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Rather than get a TT-01 and all the hop-ups, I'd agree a TA-05 would be better. Or, if you want a shaft drive, get a TB-02. It has bearings, and oil shocks, and an aluminum drive shaft, and ball diffs, plus turnbuckles for toe and camber adjustments. I am sure you would be better off with the TB-02.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yea, def not going with a TA, can't stand rubber bands , might look into the Tb-02 though, although, I'd prolly spend less buying the TT01 and just hopping it up :P...

Curious btw, are the Diff's as indestructable as they used to be? or has tamiya gone with cheaper material? Talking about the stock ones, my neighbor knows how to get them to be almost like a ball diff :P
Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are going with shaft driven, take a look at the TB Evolution 5
Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The TB02 would be a much better choice if your going to run a mod motor and want a shaft drive. The EVO05 would be the best choice, because in the end your going to spend the money on mods, so why not purchase the vehicle with all the necessary mods for what you want to do with it.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

10T motor on a TT01?? I don't think the stock TT01 can handle that. TT01 is a rich man's car. A fully hop-up one will cost easily twice the price of a TRF car. Trust me, I have a fully hop-up TT01. IMHO, the wiser choice is to get a TB Evo 5 if you like shaft driven car.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, its not that I love shafts or anything, but back when I used to mess around with cars, couple years back, belts used to strip/snap easily under strain.

I don't know why, but the TT01 just has me lol, I really like it for some reason.

It won't be a 10t off the bat, gonna go with the ST motor, then going up to 16, then possibly 12 till I buy another ESC as it stands I have a DT 12tmod ESC with no use lol, no sense in buying a new one :P
Old 06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

I do favour shaft driven car as well. Can explain why. If you are planing to run such hot motor in future, get a better car than the TT01. Even my fully hop-up TT01 with 23T motor, the chassis is struggling.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Jeez, it's that poorly built? my Tl01 would take hits at 40+ and come out with no problems, has tamiya gotten soft!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

It's not poorly built. TT01 is a entry level car. I even try to tune the chassis on a setup board and there is too much "freeplay" to get the true setting.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I might just get it and keep it with a low turn motor, maybe try drifting, latest craze?, and keep my F103 with the high end motor :P, that thing hauls

Uh, high turn, hahaha, mean't a low number :P, I'm getting old :P
Old 06-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The money you would have to spend on strengthening the TT01 you might as well buy the TB02.
They will handle the power straight out of the box, and if you do want to spend money on them they can be turned into an EVO3 (Lot of money though)
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ford_racing
The money you would have to spend on strengthening the TT01 you might as well buy the TB02.
They will handle the power straight out of the box, and if you do want to spend money on them they can be turned into an EVO3 (Lot of money though)
Straightaway get a TB Evo 5 make more $ense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.