R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #106
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
is your 1208 with or without a body?
1208g with two coat painted + window tinted body.

I could get it down to 1200g if I cut some of the power wires. Right now the battery wires are really long and they're 10AWG too so quite heavy. The ESC power wires are long as well. I've also got two Tamiya connectors temporarily fitted which probably weigh a few grams.

Wow you actually run a 4.5T motor in your M04? That's insane.

My car is insanely fast with "only" 9T brushless motor so I can't imagine how mind boggling fast yours is with that 4.5T motor.

BTW is there a reason why you don't punch out those 3 holes in the foam bumper? Is it for aerodynamics reasons? Or just because you prefer the denser foam?

Last edited by PaPeRo; 01-04-2010 at 05:31 AM.
PaPeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #107
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
According to my two digital scales, my right rear is quite heavier than my left rear by about 60g, this is with/without the battery installed. Not really sure WHY this is though since I have quite a bit of stuff installed on the left side.

EDIT: Actually I just weighed it again and the right side is indeed 20g lighter than the left without battery...NOT heavier.

Quick question: how can you weight your cars left and right side?
2.question: Why do you have the tires with less grip in the back? my m04 starts to spin around if there isnt more grip in the back...
Atcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #108
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcom View Post
Quick question: how can you weight your cars left and right side?
2.question: Why do you have the tires with less grip in the back? my m04 starts to spin around if there isnt more grip in the back...
Those rear tires have more grip than the front. They are made of softer/stickier rubber. The front tires are the Medium grip treaded ones from the kit. I'm not using the softer kit supplied S Grip treaded ones at the moment.

I have two digital scales and put one under each rear tire. It gives me the left/right weight balance of the rear.

Another picture with LiPo pack installed. I'm still waiting for the bullet connectors to arrive that's why the Tamiya connector is still there. Also the graphite bumper holder is NOT crooked even though it looks that way. It's an optical illusion from the graphite fiber pattern. Also ignore the different turnbuckle steering knuckle mounting points. That'll get fixed soon.

Last edited by PaPeRo; 01-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just for fun, running my Tamiya M04 mini r/c car with a Novak 4.5r brushless motor and Orion 3200 lipo battery. Tires are home made sorex cut to 57mm diameter. The motor was simply too much for the rear wheel drive M04. On the straight it's very fast, scary fast. Infield, too much torque, difficult to drive smooth lines. My testing ended when the sorex tire blew.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Tire blowout.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #110
Tech Addict

Looks like the tire opened up where you glued the two halves together? Nice to see a video of a M04 with a low turn BL installed. Your car looks scary fast going down that straight, do you have drag brake set?

When I was building my M04 I had planned on putting a 3.5T LRP X12 in it...lol....but after seeing how fast a 9T really is in a M04, I quickly put that 3.5T back into the box...lol. One of these days I will try a 3S with the 9T and dial down the D/R to artificially cap the rpm down to around 40K.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

papero, i used the default profile of the Novak GTB. on this track i could only squeeze throttle to 70%. though this track is pretty big (we run mod TC and nitro TC) i need to find a bigger track.

we need to try foam tires
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #112
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I know I am not supposed to post here, but I have an M04 for sale in the for sale thread...
Old 01-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #113
Tech Addict

My HXT connectors arrived yesterday and after cutting a couple inches off the power wires on the ESC and installing the connectors, total weight is down to 1185g.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Last edited by Hawk6; 02-11-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #115
Tech Adept

Default Bodies?

Hi guys

I have a M04L, which I am really pleased with. But I'm looking more and more towards the M05 for one reason - the number of cool bodies you can get to the short wheelbase version of the M-chassis.

So I thought that perhaps you could help me reconsider this, by giving me hints to where to buy cool new bodies with 22,5 or 23,9 wb, that will fit my car.

So what do you suggest? I have the 22,5 wb HPI Miata and the standard Tamiya VW - but I need more painting projects, preferbly old models (but any will do at this point).

Cheers,
Peter
Peter $ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #116
Tech Addict

The Tamiya Alpha body fits. Also the HPI Honda Civic. The Clivic is FWD though so it might not be correct for RWD chassis.

Also any of the 237 mm wheelbase bodies from Tamiya should fit the M04L though you may have to use deep offset wheels and maybe thicker hexes.

Last edited by PaPeRo; 03-03-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #117
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
The Tamiya Alpha body fits. Also the HPI Honda Civic. The Clivic is FWD though so it might not be correct for RWD chassis.
Thanks.

But where can I buy it? I haven't seen the Alfa body for sale on its own (only including the chassis aswell) anywhere, and I don't think I have ever seen a Civic body.

Help?

Cheers,
Peter
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #118
Tech Addict

http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=2207

Also the BMW Z3 M roadster fits the M04L. You could find them on ebay and online from shops overseas.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #119
Tech Adept

Wow - cool body, I think I will buy this.

Does anyone know any bodies of older models, like for instance some old 70s racing cars?

Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #120
Tech Addict

A couple of weeks ago I finished my second M04 chassis. This one is a M04L and will be using a VW body. This one is 99% stock too. Today I wanted to try something different so I swapped out the 2S LiPo and replaced it with a 3S LiPo and man what a nice difference in speed using a stock silvercan and Teken Rebel I. The car is more of a challenge to control now though.