R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default FK05 conversion

Here is the CAD drawrings of my FK05 conversion. This conversion will lower the top deck around 10mm and uses the same FK05 arms and geometry. The only modificartion needed is to drill 2 holes in the top deck and will have more equil flex over the standard FK05 by taking out the motor mount skrew. This conversion should be ready in about one month. Here are some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp rear right bulhead.bmp (185.6 KB, 433 views)
File Type: bmp rear left bulkhead.bmp (173.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: bmp front bulkhead.bmp (173.3 KB, 182 views)
Branden Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Can you host the pics and post them regularly? BTW, hows the prgress and how much? Does it make a difference in performance?
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I can try to fix the pics, I beleve this kit would make it roll less in the corner making you faster. I beleve the final product with posts and all hardware needed will cost around 100 bucks. The only thing needed to be done is to take the time and machine them.

Last edited by Branden Moody; 06-12-2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Answering all questions.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Default Interesting

Here would you have to drill the two new holes?
Also how do you plan to run the steering assembly/servo saver? Will you be milling out a new shaft for this? Also how are the bearings for the center layshaft held down? Looks good, please post pics when you are done.
Electro-MAX RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
Tech Master

seems like a good idea, it will make the wiring to the battery pack easier,i hope

while you're at it, why don't you try to add two mounting holes to the front bulkhead for the shock tower (from 2 to 4) so the alignment is perfect and the whole assembly gets stronger?
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Tech Regular

I am trying to keep all of the original FK05 hard ware. And the steering bell crank will have to be cut I will include a bushing to put in the bering because of the different diameters. I am going to be using a FK04 bell crank because top part is shorter keeping the geometry close to the original. And yes their will need to be 2 holes drilled in front of where the original bulkhead ends. The motor will be pulled out about 2 tenths of a inch to hope fully ballence the car more.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Default the mod is great, but will not affect the cg

love the idea. i too love to design upgrades and intresting new cars on paper, but i'm just a 11 year old kid, and although they would probably work well, to make a prototype would cost about a few thousand bucks.
yeah, well back on topic, it seems like a good idea. the goal is to lower the cg, which means better handling right? in theory, yes. but when facing some of the facts, not over all. i will explain:

the top deck of the fk05 weighs about 20-25 grams, correct? now add the top part of the bulkhead, and although probably a bit heavy, let's say it weighs 1 ounce, the part your goint to "cut off" adding up to 2 ounces. now the weight of 2 ounces is not gone, just lowered 10mm, as i thought you said.

now the car when running weighs about 50 ounces roughly. 50 oz. divided by 2 oz equals 25. this means the part lowered equals 1/25 the weight of the car itself. let's now take the battery weight. the battery weight is roughly a pound, the car weight being 50 oz. as mentioned before. 50 oz. is 3 pounds and two oz., so 3 divided by one equals three , meaning the battery is 1/3 the weight of the car

example A

your mod lowers about 1/25 of the car weight 10mm. 3 divided into 25 equals about 8, meaning that the battery weighs about 8 times as much as the modded part. so the point of this example? lowering the battery a bit more than a millimeter will be lowering the cg just as much as
the mod. this is the impracticle example.

example B

your mod lowers about 1/25 of the car weight 10mm. this means that the car weighs 25 times as much as the modded part. 10mm divided by 25 equals 0.4, meaning that lowering the ride height 0.4mm will end in the cg the being the same as if you had done the mod. do that to your car and test it like that, and if you think it's worth it go ahead and mod, and if not... your decision. i would if i had the money, time, and the machines to do it, i would, but all your decision. all your decision.

conclusion

this mod does not affect the cg enough to matter in the least, but may affect the "point of flex" as i like to call. this is where the chassis flexes. Back on topic, this mod won't help cg nearly enough to matter. it's not going to be better for sure, but might change something else in some weird that i won't understand at all.

so, the point:

it might affect the chassis in some weird way, but will not affect the cg enough to matter. accurate set up and consistant driving is way more important than a slightly lower cg.

(off topic, but the t2007 is most likely better because of some other reason, such as suspension geometry, not low cg. many liked the fk05 way better than the t2, even though it had a "lower cg". Oh, and the reason you barely see an fk05 on the podium today? two reasons: one, people love to have the latest technology, even if it has the same performance. two, why would xray want people to drive the older generation car? they want people to buy the latest generation, no offense intended.)

now i would go ahead and make the mod so i can get a feel for how it differently reacted, better or worse. no big cg change, but other stuff would change, making it a whole new car. so experiment! if it was me in your position, i would DEFINATELY make it. so go on and decide if you want to make it or not, and if you do, i'd probably get one.

- viper55
viper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper55 View Post
love the idea. i too love to design upgrades and intresting new cars on paper, but i'm just a 11 year old kid, and although they would probably work well, to make a prototype would cost about a few thousand bucks.
yeah, well back on topic, it seems like a good idea. the goal is to lower the cg, which means better handling right? in theory, yes. but when facing some of the facts, not over all. i will explain:

the top deck of the fk05 weighs about 20-25 grams, correct? now add the top part of the bulkhead, and although probably a bit heavy, let's say it weighs 1 ounce, the part your goint to "cut off" adding up to 2 ounces. now the weight of 2 ounces is not gone, just lowered 10mm, as i thought you said.

now the car when running weighs about 50 ounces roughly. 50 oz. divided by 2 oz equals 25. this means the part lowered equals 1/25 the weight of the car itself. let's now take the battery weight. the battery weight is roughly a pound, the car weight being 50 oz. as mentioned before. 50 oz. is 3 pounds and two oz., so 3 divided by one equals three , meaning the battery is 1/3 the weight of the car

example A

your mod lowers about 1/25 of the car weight 10mm. 3 divided into 25 equals about 8, meaning that the battery weighs about 8 times as much as the modded part. so the point of this example? lowering the battery a bit more than a millimeter will be lowering the cg just as much as
the mod. this is the impracticle example.

example B

your mod lowers about 1/25 of the car weight 10mm. this means that the car weighs 25 times as much as the modded part. 10mm divided by 25 equals 0.4, meaning that lowering the ride height 0.4mm will end in the cg the being the same as if you had done the mod. do that to your car and test it like that, and if you think it's worth it go ahead and mod, and if not... your decision. i would if i had the money, time, and the machines to do it, i would, but all your decision. all your decision.

conclusion

this mod does not affect the cg enough to matter in the least, but may affect the "point of flex" as i like to call. this is where the chassis flexes. Back on topic, this mod won't help cg nearly enough to matter. it's not going to be better for sure, but might change something else in some weird that i won't understand at all.

so, the point:

it might affect the chassis in some weird way, but will not affect the cg enough to matter. accurate set up and consistant driving is way more important than a slightly lower cg.

(off topic, but the t2007 is most likely better because of some other reason, such as suspension geometry, not low cg. many liked the fk05 way better than the t2, even though it had a "lower cg". Oh, and the reason you barely see an fk05 on the podium today? two reasons: one, people love to have the latest technology, even if it has the same performance. two, why would xray want people to drive the older generation car? they want people to buy the latest generation, no offense intended.)

now i would go ahead and make the mod so i can get a feel for how it differently reacted, better or worse. no big cg change, but other stuff would change, making it a whole new car. so experiment! if it was me in your position, i would DEFINATELY make it. so go on and decide if you want to make it or not, and if you do, i'd probably get one.

- viper55
I think you left out a "0" behind the 11 in your age. No way your 11?!!
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I think you left out a "0" behind the 11 in your age. No way your 11?!!
no kidding.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Tech Elite

isn't math great. besides its half way to '08 so you should be expecting a new car anyways :\
Mason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

no typo. im 11. i just think very hard about these things.

VERY hard.

VERY VERY hard.

- viper55
Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default nice break down

after reading this post I felt like I was back in school trying to do a mathetical problem.
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:19 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Problem is, if the mod isn't effective, you're stuck with a car that sux. Seems that all you'd get is a cooler looking(maybe) FK05. Too many mods for me.

P.S.- At 11 yrs. old, I was just trying to beat Super Mario Bros
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

come on, stampede. the mod could rock! besides, my post wasn't saying the mod would suck, just that the cg may be lower, but not enought to matter.

besides, since the cg change doesn't affect much, only a little could change, and even if you end up with a car that was better stock, you tried it, it didn't work well, but it was something new and now you know something about lowering the topdeck.

plus, id say there's a decent chance of it rocking or being the same performance, and that means it could be better easily.

also, it's not like you can't switch back to the old deck any time, right?

- viper55
Old 06-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Interesting idea, keep us posted on how it turns out.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote