R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #1

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to pc9840 Send a message via AIM to pc9840 Send a message via Yahoo to pc9840
Default Batteries...Johnny 5 need input!

I searched through the threads a little bit, saw some info but nothing really current, maybe I missed it I don't know.

Someone want to get me upto speed on battery tech of 2007, last time I raced electric was about 4 years ago and that was minor, last time I was major into electric was when 3000 nimh just started to take off (6 years or so). I see that 4200's seem to be the high end of what everyone is running now. I have seen GP4200 and IB4200, whats the differance here? are there any other differant types? Any idea when the lipo's will be ROAR legal? (at least I don't think they are alreaday). Any other advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

well the hot batt for the most part is the ib 4200, there a bit less stable then gp's but have more power.. so pick what u want... i took the ib's.... for stock racing lots of ppl use gp 3300's because thats all the mah u need.. but i got 4200's anyways lol

they discharge them selfs pretty fast, so u always want a charge in them, especially when they are goin into storage.. past that i discharge them and havent had probs.. on my latest batch of the nice ones (highest level of matching) i had a bad one, which smc is replacing
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to pc9840 Send a message via AIM to pc9840 Send a message via Yahoo to pc9840
Default IB....GP....

Thanks for the reply. What is the differance in technology between the ip and gp cells?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

i think its ib's have a much lower ir (internal resistance) and they can deliver more punch.... i duno to be 100% honest i dk why they are so much better, i know they work, and have MANY races behing them to back them up... let someone else chime in and explain why
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc9840 View Post
Thanks for the reply. What is the differance in technology between the ip and gp cells?
It's not exactly a matter of technology(at least nothing they'll divulge), it's just two different manufacturers' efforts. GP's are made by Gold Peak, & the IB cells are made by Intellect(just like the old wars between Sanyo & Panasonic), & right now the IB cells just put out more voltage & lower resistance than basically ANYTHING on the market(but as was said, are less stable, so you have to treat them very carefully, & even then there's a chance of a cell or two dying at random, but you can't argue with the performance ontrack). If this tells you anything, back when 3000's were the norm, cells were matched at 20 amps & the best would put out maybe 1.17 volts, & resistance was around the 2.3(not sure of that was in ohms or not, but it's a basic standard they use & the lower the number, the better). Now, with IB4200's, we're seeing them matched at 35 amps(which should make the numbers NOTICABLY worse than at 20 amps), & they now hit 1.24 volts & resistance is down to around 1.3. Put those things together, & the IB's just leave the old cells in the dust(& believe me, I could tell the difference in the car). And the best thing, today's cells from the good matchers are about the same price or less than what we were paying 7 years ago(or even 18 years ago, when I first started racing)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Default batteries,batteries and more batteries!!!

hey all:Got some battery questions for y'all.First we have hicad nimh ib ip and ep batteries on the market are these all different types of batteries or just what each company is calling their version of the same type of battery?Also i'v read recently that the new ep batteries are safer and can handle more chargings in one day than other types is this true?Finally i've been trying off and on for the last week or so to get on the fusion batteries site are they out of buissnes or is their web site just down at this time?Thanks for the info
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Fusion was purchased by Pro Match
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #8

Default Merged

I merged this to my thread, same questions....good discussion topic.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Here check these guys out:
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1873

Thats 4500Mah for $35.99, with a 6 month warranty. They also have them with Deans plugs

On a side note these batteries are made by the same folks who make the IB 4200s. Intellect is not a manufacturer, just a reseller, the IB cells are actually made by Tenergy.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFist View Post
Here check these guys out:
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1873

Thats 4500Mah for $35.99, with a 6 month warranty. They also have them with Deans plugs

On a side note these batteries are made by the same folks who make the IB 4200s. Intellect is not a manufacturer, just a reseller, the IB cells are actually made by Tenergy.
Be sure to check with the local club you race with before buying these, though. Most clubs follow ROAR guidelines and these cells, regardless who makes 'em, are not ROAR-legal. They would not be accepted at any major race. If your club allows them and you don't travel to events or if you're just bashing then by all means have at 'em.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Be sure to check with the local club you race with before buying these, though. Most clubs follow ROAR guidelines and these cells, regardless who makes 'em, are not ROAR-legal. They would not be accepted at any major race. If your club allows them and you don't travel to events or if you're just bashing then by all means have at 'em.
Yes he is correct, at the moment these are not ROAR approved, but for bashing or club racing, if allowed, they are great batts. I'm working on getting them ROAR approved.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote