R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 2.4hz cutting out???

I have recently changed to Spektrum with a KO Vantage III transmitter.

a month ago I was racing and the failsafe cut in with the micro reciever... so i ran a cap.. problem solved.

Yesterday I had exactly the same problem..glitching in one area, and in practice cutting out completely, but this time with the cap installed.

I put the larger standard reciever back in it, still had the problem... tried a different motor (27t) but still had the problem?

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could have been?

Thanks
wide_mouth_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
Tech Addict

How do you run the antenna cable in the car?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Well the Micro reciever is about 1" above the topdeck, but the "normal" size reciever is at standard length in an arial tube.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had problems with old packs and a esc with a weak bec.
Like you said I installed a cap which helped, another thing I tried was to run my personal transponder of the fet servo lead which freed up more juice for the receiver.(neg from black receiver lead).
Another thing to do is run your aerials (car and radio) the most direct way out of the device (not over other circuitry).
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've had the same problem, with and without the cap, different ESCs, receivers...etc. I even tried wiring the car different. Only thing that worked for me was to relocate my transponder.

The glitching was occuring exactly under the timing loop at my local track, and it didn't matter how fast or how much throttle was applied. Even coasting through the loop made the failsafe trip.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Z
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Tech Adept

seems like a bizare problem.

I could understand under hard acceleration and the voltage dropping, but like you said, it didnt matter if you coasted it still had its glitch.

I know a few people had the same problem in a simular area on that day.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The only thing I didn't try before relocating the transponder was to change where I was standing on the driver's rostrum. On our local indoor carpet track, there is a problematic area either under the loop, or just after the first corner exit.

But when I was running the TA-05, never had a glitch at all for 6 months.... Must be the graphite plates on the JRXS....

Cheers,

Z
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Tech Addict

I had problems with the failsafe (antenna inside receiver is routed per Spectrum instructions so that is not the reason) until I shortened the plastic tube (arial tube) you run the antenna in to not go outside of the car body. The part of the receiver antenna that is longer is curled around the top of the antenna plastic tube. Found this advise somewhere in the forum I believe (there was a picture posted, will see if I can find it). Since I did this to my cars (Tamiya 415, Xray T2007, Cyclone WCE - Hara ESCs, LRP ESCs, AMB PTs in all kinds of configurations) I have not had one single failure in more than 1 year... I do not run the Spectrum power cap...
Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide_mouth_frog View Post
I have recently changed to Spektrum with a KO Vantage III transmitter.

a month ago I was racing and the failsafe cut in with the micro reciever... so i ran a cap.. problem solved.

Yesterday I had exactly the same problem..glitching in one area, and in practice cutting out completely, but this time with the cap installed.

I put the larger standard reciever back in it, still had the problem... tried a different motor (27t) but still had the problem?

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could have been?

Thanks
There's a whole great long Spektrum thread that either might have your answer or else more people to answer it. The other option is call Spektrum (horizon) for tech support. I have a standing issue with my system and plan to send it back at some point for warranty work. They spent a few minutes on the phone with me diagnosing the issue until we were satisfied it would need them to actually work on it.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

I had a similar problem with mine. At halifax track. when going round the far corner the car would glitch like hell. First thought it was batts in tranny which were going flat. But turned out to be the ariel. I had a reall short ariel on it due to it breaking. which of course worked ok inside. but as soon as i got outside was a real pain in the A***. So changed ariel for a longer one now works fine.

cheers

A
adavison1974 is offline   Reply With Quote