R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Default New member with question about company and quality

Hi all. I have been searching the internet for a RC Lamborghini Countach electric car. I am a complete novice to RC cars and have no intention on becoming a pro racer or anything. I basically am just looking for something to play with. I found this website on the internet... http://readyracers.com/E7496.html and am thinking about purchasing the Countach 45mph electric car they have listed.

Can anyone tell me if they have ever dealt with this company and also does it seem to be a good quality product at a fair price?

Keep in mind that I want to purchace a RTR car and am not interested in building anything.

Thank you in advance for your insight.
JimmyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Yeah Tamiya cars are great cars for all levels of this hobby. Looks like they took a 185mm wide Tamiya car and put a 200mm wide HPI body on it though so the wheels are not going to sit as flush with the sides as in the pictures. The pictures of the body on the car look to be from HPI's website of their body on a Nitro RS4 3 which is a wider car. At any rate it is not that big of a deal as you can space out the wheels a bit to make the car wider to fit the body better.

Last edited by InspGadgt; 06-07-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Didn't realize it was a Tamiya
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I'm sure if you're just looking for something to mess around with in the parkinglot, that'll be fine. You can buy the Tamiya XB cars almost anywhere. But don't believe their claim of 45 mph. Ad's like that are complete crap. At the Reedy Race a couple of weeks ago, they had a radar gun out and the top speeds for the intivational class were barely 50 mph. 45 mph is a lot of speed for an RC car. It looks and feels like it's a lot faster than that. The car you're looking at may top at 20 mph at the most. Most people can't handle any more than that anyway. Especially if they're just getting into RC. Just get what looks good to you and go have fun.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
RCSteve93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,601
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
Hi all. I have been searching the internet for a RC Lamborghini Countach electric car. I am a complete novice to RC cars and have no intention on becoming a pro racer or anything. I basically am just looking for something to play with. I found this website on the internet... http://readyracers.com/E7496.html and am thinking about purchasing the Countach 45mph electric car they have listed.

Can anyone tell me if they have ever dealt with this company and also does it seem to be a good quality product at a fair price?

Keep in mind that I want to purchace a RTR car and am not interested in building anything.

Thank you in advance for your insight.
Tamiya is a great company. That car you are looking at is the TT-01. I have not owned one, but have worked on these cars many times(I work at a hobby shop), and the simplicity and durability is great. They maybe go about 30 MPH out of the box, which is pretty fast. I would definatly go with it if you are new. Just remeber, that it might break, so you might have to do some maintence. Hope that helps.
__________________
rm -rf /windows
RCSteve93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
hierog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 891
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
It's not a real mainstream brand so when you break it you'll have to contact them to get replacement parts instead of just going to your local hobby shop.
Tamiya not mainstream? He should be able to get parts for this car with no problem. His LHS may or may not carry Tamiya, I suppose it's a regional thing. In any case, he can get parts online very easlily

as a matter of fact, somebody has a TT-01 for sale in the "for sale" forum for $150. check it out

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Default Thank you all

Thank you all for your info. I do realize that the claim of 45mph is BS and 20-25mph is just fine for what I want. I live on a Cul-De-Sac with very little traffic and just want something to toy around with. I also understand that things may break from time to time and I will need to do some repair work. I just don't want to have to buy parts and assemble a complete car. I would rather buy it pre assembled, charge the battery then have some fun. I do have my mind made up though that I want the Countach. The closest hobby shop to me is 30 miles away and I do not know if they carry Tamiya products or not. I will check on that. Right now I am just gathering info and reccommendations. Once I have gathered enough info I will then decide where to make my purchase. I am a little leary of the company I posted because they have no phone number listed just an email addy.

Thanks again and anyone else with info please contribute.
JimmyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
gtypecanare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 534
Default

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...p?sub-id=35700

Here is a link to Tamiya's 1/10th scale RTR kits. Currently you cannot purchase any items due to the move from Aliso Viejo to Carson. But supposedly you will be able to order kits and parts via the website on June 11th.
gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtypecanare View Post
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...p?sub-id=35700

Here is a link to Tamiya's 1/10th scale RTR kits. Currently you cannot purchase any items due to the move from Aliso Viejo to Carson. But supposedly you will be able to order kits and parts via the website on June 11th.
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately they do not have a Countach listed.
JimmyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
K_Spec_RC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Powder Springs, Ga
Posts: 2,734
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately they do not have a Countach listed.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRHC6&P=7

althogh it is a nitro...

You can buy the body separate.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKKW3&P=7

I would go with a TT-01 or a TL-01 for sure. Perhaps even check the for sale section of the forums for a good deal on a used TC3 or something. anyways, have fun with it

I just looked at the link a little closer... what you are looking at seems to be a Tamiya TT-01 with an HPI body. Also, with a stock silver can, 45mph is far from attainable.. you would need a mod motor and a better speed control for that.
__________________
HighVelocityRacing.com | TurtleTraxRaceway.com | itFitzDesign.wordpress.com | Misfitz Motorsports | Jconcepts | KO Propo | Tekin | Kyosho RB5 SP | Kyosho Ultima SC

Last edited by K_Spec_RC; 06-07-2007 at 07:56 PM.
K_Spec_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 1,170
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

You should have alot of fun with that, at our local track there are a couple of them that are used as rentals. It is built on the Tamiya TT-01 chassis, so parts and upgrades will not be a problem. I don't know if the Lamo is released yet, as I cannot find it listed on any of the regular RC internet suppliers, here is a link to Tower, they have everything you will ever want as far as parts, and upgrades.http://www.towerhobbies.com/index.html just search for tt-01 and you can find everything for that chassis. Keep in mind that the motor it comes with will eventually burn out, but they are replacable for under $20
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC View Post
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRHC6&P=7

althogh it is a nitro...

You can buy the body separate.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKKW3&P=7

I would go with a TT-01 or a TL-01 for sure. Perhaps even check the for sale section of the forums for a good deal on a used TC3 or something. anyways, have fun with it

I just looked at the link a little closer... what you are looking at seems to be a Tamiya TT-01 with an HPI body. Also, with a stock silver can, 45mph is far from attainable.. you would need a mod motor and a better speed control for that.
Yeah I realize that companies over exagerate the speed. Thats why I am chosing the 45mph 1 cause it should go at least 20-25mph. If I were to go with their 25 or 35mph versions I would be unhappy with the actual 10-15mph.
JimmyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
You should have alot of fun with that, at our local track there are a couple of them that are used as rentals. It is built on the Tamiya TT-01 chassis, so parts and upgrades will not be a problem. I don't know if the Lamo is released yet, as I cannot find it listed on any of the regular RC internet suppliers, here is a link to Tower, they have everything you will ever want as far as parts, and upgrades.http://www.towerhobbies.com/index.html just search for tt-01 and you can find everything for that chassis. Keep in mind that the motor it comes with will eventually burn out, but they are replacable for under $20
I have been to that website many of times. Thanks for the info though. I really am interested in the 1 listed on the website I posted but I still am concerned about them not having a phone number to call which is why I asked if anyone has dealt with or heard of them before. I sent them an email asking if they had a phone number but I have not heard back from them yet. I sent the email last night.

I may print the page and take the 30 mile trip to my nearest Hobby Shop and ask them if they can get that item. I looked up dealers on the Tamiya site and the hobby shop is a authorized dealer so they can probably help me.

I still appreciate all the help from you all. Keeep coming with suggestions or advice. Too much info is never a bad thing.
JimmyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #13
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hierog View Post
Tamiya not mainstream? He should be able to get parts for this car with no problem. His LHS may or may not carry Tamiya, I suppose it's a regional thing. In any case, he can get parts online very easlily

as a matter of fact, somebody has a TT-01 for sale in the "for sale" forum for $150. check it out

vic

Sorry I did not see that it was a Tamiya...yeah that's a great choice then...please disreguard what I said earlier. I had seen a similar advertisement previously from the same company that was a knock off of existing cars not a mainstream car and thought this was more of the same. My appologies.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

The Countach is just the body and shouldn't necessarily be the sole basis of the purchase. You can find a number of different bodies that will fit (Countach is one) anywhere from $20 to $50 from different companies.

Not the Countach but:
http://www.hpiracing.com/bodies/body...ber&value=7389
or:
http://www.hpiracing.com/bodies/body...ber&value=7377
A little wider but:
http://www.hpiracing.com/bodies/body...ber&value=7496
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A new R/C company we can really get get behind! ~McSmooth~ Electric On-Road 37 03-31-2008 02:06 PM
Elite member question kuzo R/C Tech Site Forum 2 09-07-2007 05:45 AM
OS engines and company question oceanhighz Nitro On-Road 3 11-28-2006 02:51 PM
Integy - The company question jw92656 Electric On-Road 7 10-20-2005 12:10 PM
quality of charge question coolrcdad Electric On-Road 6 08-09-2004 10:11 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:29 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net