R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Spektrum cutting out

I have a brushless (7000KV), lipo (11.1v 20C), RC18b with a spektrum micro reciever controlling everything. I have the Quark 33A Procar brushless ESC. I was running it today at a local onroad track and the first couple laps were great (about 3-4 mins run time total). The final lap i was coming down the back straight and the car just stops in the middle of the straight and smacks the wall. I walk towards it and it goes WOT all of a sudden. Luckily grabbed it and hit the power switch.

I took it back to the pits and check it out. When I go WOT the light on the spektrum slowly dims until it turns off/goes into failsafe mode. Im assumming that the motor was drawing too much power and the spektrum RX did not have enough to power itself. Failsafe is set at neutral throttle.

Now my question is: Will the spektrum power cap solve this problem? I never had a problem running an FM rx. I'm guessing that when the motor starts drawing too many amps, it doesnt have enough time to jump to failsafe mode and the rx goes bezerk.

Any other theories?
thunderbt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3 View Post
Now my question is: Will the spektrum power cap solve this problem? I never had a problem running an FM rx. I'm guessing that when the motor starts drawing too many amps, it doesnt have enough time to jump to failsafe mode and the rx goes bezerk.
The power capacitor will help you with this problem - you can make one yourself using a Novak ESC 8200 cap or get the same capacity cap from spektrum.
if memory hasn't left me the quark BEC output is lower than some and then combine that with high amp draw motor and the spektrum receiver is starved for power. The spektrum receiver requires more power than a std fm receiver
hope this helps
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sweet, thanks. I did try a FM rx and everything was just fine. I would just like to keep all my stuff on the spektrum system.
thunderbt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Yea the spektrum cap will sove the problem, I had this happen when I switched my 4-cell car over to spektrum. Once I added the cap no problems.

Chris
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

With my Spektrum I tried the cap and then also tried a lipo receiver pack with a 6.4 volt regulator and still had problems with my Spektrum going into fail safe. Took out the Spektrum and put in a good reliable synthesized setup and no more problems and everything works perfect.

Alot of guys have problems with Spektrum and brushless systems. I know I did with two brands of radios and btoh Pro versions and standard version Spektrum and also two different modules in two different radios.

I have no switched to a new Futaba 3PK Super in the synthesized version and no more problems. It seems the new 2.4 from Futaba fairs better than Spektrum but at least with synthesized I feel much better. Plus I still have 30 channels to pick from and with all those Spektrums and 2.4 systems I never have to even worry about frequency problems.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote