R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Brushless in sedans

How many of you that run brushless have had problems with thermaling and your speedo blowing up LATELY? Is Brushless as fast in 6 cell MOD sedan as Brushed motors, is it equal to run them together? I'm asking about 6 cell MOD only.

Thanks!

Last edited by gezer2u; 06-06-2007 at 03:50 PM.
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Tech Addict

There are already soooo many Brushless threads, do we really need another?
KE4PJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Yes, I don't want to read a ton of posts about LRP sucks or Novak is the best to find the answers to my question's. I had read that a well known motor builder say that all of the above was true. I wasn't sure so I thought I would ask on a board where there are a lot of people who race 6 cell Mod sedan.

Thanks for your post.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been running brushless for about 4 years and have never had a thermaling problem. I run a Schulze controller and a Plettenberg motor, the combination of which will run will just about any system out there. It will keep up with a brushed 7 turn without trouble. I have always run a fan on my controller and i always use good wiring practices as suggested by Schulze. The controller is by no means small, but there is a limit as to how much power you can put in a given volume, maybe other companies push that a little too far. I am pretty sure that all of the companies run high junction temps on the FETs, numbers that approach the manufacturers maximum suggested temperature. This is a poor idea and does not allow for devices to be at all below its specifications. As with any piece of electronics, a little common sense always helps. Being racers, we tend to overlook common sense in search of an A-main placement.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Tech Master

I'm biased of course, but I'd say it's fair to say the BL stuff can keep up if not be faster then any Brushed motor now. Thermal/Blow up problems will "always" happen regardless of Brushed or Brushless. The Electronics in the Industry are being pushed fairly hard.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Myself and many other if not most other local racers are running brushless. I've used novak and LRP and those seem to be the most common used in this area. Thermal problems do happen and at all levels stock to mod. It seems that running on the ragged edge of thermal cutoff is the rule for racers. If you gear the motor correctly, use fans, and install sintered rotors you can manage the heat issues and run just as fast as brushed IMO.

Chris
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 PM   #7
Tech Adept

been

Last edited by civiceg; 01-02-2009 at 02:50 AM.
civiceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Thanks guys for the input! Keep'em coming.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Josh,

This is "KIM" If you can remember from mike philips old carpet track? I've been running brushless system for quite a while I would say the best I've ever purchased and it's worth the money.

I've been running MOD with JIM Bishop last year at the our local track "Visalia"
His the first one I've seen running brushless 4.5 it can keep up with 7 turn brushed motor,And his the one that really convinced me to switch to brushless But what I really like about brushless is the efficiency and almost no maintenance at all. And if you are running mod I would say go brushless. Running mod is a little expensive especially if you want to be competitive cutting comm every after run is just a pain in the A$$.....

Right now I'm running 4300/13.5....... and there is more and more racers switching to brushless system.
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You might wanna try the 3.5 all I can say scarry FASSSSSTTTTTT. It can out run a gas car easy.
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
Tech Regular

This might help you guy's with your opinions. Read this thread and tell me what has been your experience and what you have seen at your local track.

http://www.dirtoval.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22885
Old 06-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Kim- this is Josh's dad. Glad you have been racing. Brushless is way cool huh.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezer2u View Post
How many of you that run brushless have had problems with thermaling and your speedo blowing up LATELY? Is Brushless as fast in 6 cell MOD sedan as Brushed motors, is it equal to run them together? I'm asking about 6 cell MOD only.

Thanks!
I ran mod outdoor for like 3 years now...not a full time electric guy (race 1/10th and 1/8th nitro onroad instead) but electric mod TC is just fun and easy to drive.
I gave up brushed motor once I've use the GTB with 4.5 motor...my 8T V2 motor on the same car just is not as fast and as EASY as the GTB 4.5 combo. Not to mention, if gear it a little too tall, snapped wind, motor get stucked, then batteries will be fired (did that multiple times...)

Yes, with bonded brushless rotor you have to be carefull about FDR...but mine is with sintered rotor, I ran a 8.9 FDR on my TA05R and after 7 minutes run the motor temp was 140..probably 40 more degree before it will thermal.

To answer your question....for mod TC, you are crazy for NOT getting brushless system. Well, some ppl like to work on motor every run and be a little slower too. Thats beyond me...

Yes, another fun toy...I was using Team Orion (Peak) 4800 lipo...I stop @ 7 minutes cause I don't have lipo cut-off, just don't want to take my chance for 10 minutes run...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote