Wiki Posts
Search

Glitches due to Tracks Generator Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

Default Glitches due to Tracks Generator Noise

Hi All

Just curios if anyone has found a solution for an FM tx/rx system that is susceptable to generator noise.

I run a Airtronics M8, Novak rx.

At the point closest to the generator, the car loses its mind and generally does a right angle into the pipes or stutters.

Any thoughts on possible solutions besides DSM

Thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I had that problem a couple years ago. I tried everything. Moved my receiver all over my car but couldnt figure it out and went to DSM. Why no DSM?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You can try switching freq. or even swapping out or moving the the electronics to see if any of them are causing the hit. Are you the only person running FM or AM that is getting a hit at the same spot on the track?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

Actually there were two spots on the track. First was at the top of the sweeper by the main generator and then on the complete opposite side where a new pit area was placed with a generator behind it. We know the 2nd generator produced noise over the AM Radio Band while listening to the NASCAR races.

There are others who have issues but generally its due to there wiring. On one car, the motor needed a good comm cut but it did not help. Generally schottkys and caps on the motor eliminate motor noise causing glitches which could be an additional source but it sure seemed like the generator overpowered the RX signals.

DSM might help but I haven't raced consistently in 6 months so why spend the extra $$$$ for rx and tx module for this. I need to isolate the noise and mitigate it.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

See if they will move the generator.

Make sure the longer cord is thick enough (low enough gauge) to avoid having too much voltage drop. You'll probably want 12 ga or possibly even 10 ga extension cords. The recommended gauge and feet cord allowed are listed on the packages, at least when I shop at Lowes & Home Depot.

Edit: borrow another Rx and hook it up and try that, often times glitching is resolved by that....
Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Well this happened on two cars so I do not think the rx is the issue but I am going to try an Airtronics rx and recheck the wiring soon.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rinkrat99

DSM might help but I haven't raced consistently in 6 months so why spend the extra $$$$ for rx and tx module for this. I need to isolate the noise and mitigate it.
I hear ya. You can get them pretty inexpensively in the for sale forum usually though. If you wanna try that route. Might save some headaches and time. Just a thought.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rinkrat99
Well this happened on two cars so I do not think the rx is the issue but I am going to try an Airtronics rx and recheck the wiring soon.
2 cars... then I'd definitely ask about moving the generator.

100' of high quality 12ga cord costs about $50, and 10ga about double that, in either case, much less than one set of TX/RX for DSM. Who wants all the noise right there all the time anyway. Although I love DSM too, the track probably should do something to help since multiple folks are having issues.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Any idea what frequency is emitted from a generator? Not sure its 60Hz probably the RPM noise with the brush noise causing this
Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Maybe using a frequency checker (if your track even has one, I've never seen one myself) you can see if it is hitting only a few channels, or all of them....