licenced bodys

Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Branden Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 491
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default licenced bodys

I was just wondering how you guys feel about not real car bodys like the DNA. I think soon they will take over because of the high price of licencing.
Branden Moody is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 AM
  #2  
Tech Fanatic
 
SlamMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 847
Default

I think it's fine. DNA is a good looking body. No reason they can't make them look similar to real cars. As long as they don't get out of hand like 1/8th bodies. They don't even look remotely real.
SlamMan is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 03:16 PM
  #3  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 1,176
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I agree the DNA 1 & 2 are good looking bodies, they almost look like the Mazda 6 variation. I think your right Branden, licensing of these bodies is expensive, I am sure Protofrom already knows what makes a body like the Mazda 6 work and can recreate that in another body without having to pay them for licensing, maybe they could even make them cheaper.
Big B is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 PM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
KHoff7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

The Nemisis is pretty similar to the mazda bodys.
KHoff7 is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
  #5  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 29
Default

if it looks like a muscle car and its fairly detailed, then it doesnt matter to me if its licensed or not
WayzOfTheCore is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
  #6  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Juan Valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 447
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Put me down as someone who would prefer to see liscensed bodies stay in racing. I just like the idea of racing something that is based off a real car. Not that it'll stop me from racing.

Heck, in my ideal little fantasy world, everyone would ditch the current body list and adpot the Tamiya Championship Series body list. I have the say, the TCS race I went to this year was the coolest looking race I have ever seen. I mean the GT1 and GT2 A-mains had 4,5, maybe even 6 different body styles (NSX, Ferrari 360 and 430, Corvettes, Skylines, MR-S, etc.). Definetly cool.
Juan Valdez is offline  
Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
  #7  
Tech Regular
 
volracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 268
Default

It is up to everyone here. The auto manufacturers can do what they want, but if people want realistic then the hobby industry will produce them. Look at the number of monster truck bodies and drift bodies. And the lack of varietry in off road buggy bodies.
volracer is offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 AM
  #8  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Branden Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 491
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I think the only thing that is being licensed is the stickers not the actual car.
Branden Moody is offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 06:19 PM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
SWTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Coast...CALIF.
Posts: 2,959
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Branden,

It's moreso the NAME and LIKENESS that's being licensed I believe...and I even remember Dale Epp from ProtoForm once talking about the hassel of the size, color, and style of the MFG logo on the header card for packaging being an issue...

The FULL SIZE MFG's want $$$$$ for every aspect of someone using their trademarked property.
SWTour is offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 07:20 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
adamge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Saskatoon,SK Canada
Posts: 1,654
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Branden Moody View Post
I was just wondering how you guys feel about not real car bodys like the DNA. I think soon they will take over because of the high price of licencing.
I love them. The DNA series bodies are, imo, the best looking touring car bodies on the market.
adamge is offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
  #11  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
acko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: perth west aus
Posts: 834
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

i disagree. i think they should be licenced an i think they should introduce some new styles of REAR wheel drive bodies that are still legal with the governing bodies ie.. ford mustang is not permitted by our rules as it has to be a 4 door car. come on body makers give us some more FORD bodies like the BA FALCON
acko is offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 PM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (101)
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,689
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
I think it's fine. DNA is a good looking body. No reason they can't make them look similar to real cars. As long as they don't get out of hand like 1/8th bodies. They don't even look remotely real.
SlamMan,

I mean no disrespect but have you ever driven a 1/8th on road with a 650.00 engine in it. The bodies have changed over time for a reason, those big "ugly" rear wings/fins give great stability. There is room in this hobby for replica bodies but on a race track with other cars we need bodies to help produce downforce, etc.

Steve
corallyman is offline  
Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 PM
  #13  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 187
Default Bodies

I have to say I personally am interested in a body that provides good balance/downforce and stability, I don't really care what they look like. And besides look at the Mazda, G6, Alfa etc. aside from the head/tail lights and grill they look nothing like there respective models. When I first got into racing about 3 years ago I couldn't help but wonder why the body manufacturers would go to the trouble of licenced bodies when they could have been making DNA's or Nemesis' from the very start.
_pilot_ is offline  
Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 AM
  #14  
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,659
Default

Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
I think it's fine. DNA is a good looking body. No reason they can't make them look similar to real cars. As long as they don't get out of hand like 1/8th bodies. They don't even look remotely real.
-the 1/8th bodies are no more out of hand than the TC "blobs" that are being ran these days.........
Taylorm is offline  
Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 AM
  #15  
Tech Fanatic
 
SlamMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 847
Default

Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
SlamMan,

I mean no disrespect but have you ever driven a 1/8th on road with a 650.00 engine in it. The bodies have changed over time for a reason, those big "ugly" rear wings/fins give great stability. There is room in this hobby for replica bodies but on a race track with other cars we need bodies to help produce downforce, etc.

Steve
I don't disagree. Unfortunately they still look like a wing on wheels. 1:8 Scale is about the fastest racing being done but the bodies just don't do it for me. It's just my subjective opinion though.

Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
-the 1/8th bodies are no more out of hand than the TC "blobs" that are being ran these days.........
They still, basically, look like cars though. Like NASCAR. I don't think it's any worse than full scale cars though. Take off their badges and plenty of people couldn't tell the difference between a Toyota Camry and a Nissan Maxima.
SlamMan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.