R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden Moody View Post
I think the only thing that is being licensed is the stickers not the actual car.
Is there any truth to this statement?
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #17
Tech Addict

It is very clear that this body:

Is based on...
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well lets look at HPI, I know that they are not Race bodies, but all of their bodies are based on real cars, how can they afford to license every style they make, they use the body style, name, logo, etc.. of companies like Lambroghini, BMW, and Porsche.

Great example Barry
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...I'd call HPI and talk to someone in thier legal department and ask them how much $$$ they spend on their licensing fees...I'd be the numbers would astound you...but does HPI care? I'd bet not, because it's just a part of doing business so that expense will get passed on to the 'END USER'

The following was a quote from Dale Epp @ Protoform when he was working on our Toyota Based OVAL body..

Quote:
Protoform "HDT" will be ready as soon as I'm able. Decal sheets are sometimes slow in coming and effect the release date. PLEASE, do not try to pre-order this body style at your local hobby shop or distributor - or question the staff @ Proline. Please be patient. As soon as part number and estimated release date are realistic - I'll post the details here on HobbyTalk. Corporate licensing extortionists will not affect the release date as they have in the past. That's about all I can say right now.
This was from November '06
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #20
Tech Master

"Corporate Licensing Extorshonists" sad but true. I am sure they are making money above and beyond the cost of liscensing these bodies, they have to, otherwise there would be no Mazda 6, Parma Alfa, or any of the Nascar bodies for Oval. Like SWTour said the cost is being passed on to us, I guess I should have been a little more clear in my question, HPI bases all of their bodies on real cars, but they are not as widley used as say the Mazda 6, because of this how can they afford to keep using these high priced liscensed bodies, when they (at least from my experiance) are hardly used. Maybe they sell more than I think, I don't know.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to rampal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
"Corporate Licensing Extorshonists" sad but true. I am sure they are making money above and beyond the cost of liscensing these bodies, they have to, otherwise there would be no Mazda 6, Parma Alfa, or any of the Nascar bodies for Oval. Like SWTour said the cost is being passed on to us, I guess I should have been a little more clear in my question, HPI bases all of their bodies on real cars, but they are not as widley used as say the Mazda 6, because of this how can they afford to keep using these high priced liscensed bodies, when they (at least from my experiance) are hardly used. Maybe they sell more than I think, I don't know.
They're hardly used on 1/10 competition, but I know a bunch of fellas that don't race that have their TC3, Evos, TT01 and drift machines with nice bodies like the murcielago, Mercedes AMG, ferrari 360, honda s2000, mazda RX8 (this guy even has the "real" thing, amazing)... basically is not the competition that moves the market.... they're hardly used on TC racing, that's true.... but that's only one side of the coin....

cheers,
al
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampal View Post
They're hardly used on 1/10 competition, but I know a bunch of fellas that don't race that have their TC3, Evos, TT01 and drift machines with nice bodies like the murcielago, Mercedes AMG, ferrari 360, honda s2000, mazda RX8 (this guy even has the "real" thing, amazing)... basically is not the competition that moves the market.... they're hardly used on TC racing, that's true.... but that's only one side of the coin....

cheers,
al
Thanks rampal, I see you have the Tamiya TA05MS ordered, when you get it you will have to post some pics, I am thinking of picking one up myself
Old 06-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have a good friend and former team mate who now lives in Tokyo, we talked some time back about how that market really loved "REAL" looking cars, he talked about some of the old Tamiya stuff that had little windshield wiper arms, chrome inserts in the outside mirrors...sticker detail quality that was second to none.

I also remember being involved with NORRCA when the early Touring Car thing got started..and it was said "Those will never catch on or become popular"

NORRCA started this class with what they called T/K cars, similar to what they had done for the then popular F-1 style cars.

The idea was to ONLY allow the kits from Tamiya and Kyosho. I think I drove one of the guys prototype Yokomo cars or something about then too. Wow, where that class has come and gone since then...
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:17 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Thanks rampal, I see you have the Tamiya TA05MS ordered, when you get it you will have to post some pics, I am thinking of picking one up myself
No Problem... that will indeed be a "constructive" post I can't hardly wait for it....

Ah, I forgot to say, I was on that "club" as well, I used to run a murcielago back in the day, and I've ordered a saleen S7R from HPI a couple of days ago... just for shelf queen nevertheless... It's a pity you can't show up at the track with it...

cheers,
al
Old 06-08-2007, 01:35 AM   #25
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The 'Corporate Licensing Extortionists' idea doesn't necessarily apply to everyone...

I happen to work for one of the big car companies and have been responsible for providing our actual CAD data to some of the r/c companies for licensed products.
And we give them the data, and even spend weeks modifying it to suit 190mm and 200mm cars to make sure the scale look is perfect. Total cost to the r/c company for that work? - Zero
Licensing fee? - Zero

I cant guarantee thats how it happens all over, but certainly where I come from they're very happy to have their products promoted in this way..
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
The 'Corporate Licensing Extortionists' idea doesn't necessarily apply to everyone...

I happen to work for one of the big car companies and have been responsible for providing our actual CAD data to some of the r/c companies for licensed products.
And we give them the data, and even spend weeks modifying it to suit 190mm and 200mm cars to make sure the scale look is perfect. Total cost to the r/c company for that work? - Zero
Licensing fee? - Zero

I cant guarantee thats how it happens all over, but certainly where I come from they're very happy to have their products promoted in this way..
So YOU'RE the one responsible for all those b*stard HSV models clogging up the shelves at my LHS
Capelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Nope...wrong side of the fence...
Old 06-08-2007, 03:07 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well then, you're obviously a man of great taste & intelligence.... so when's an XB coupe gonna be available in either 190 or 200mm??
Capelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Sadly thats a bit of a 'boutique' choice... You certainly wont see one from a major manufacturer... But I wouldn't argue if someone did one thats for sure.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:12 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capelracer View Post
Well then, you're obviously a man of great taste & intelligence.... so when's an XB coupe gonna be available in either 190 or 200mm??
Capel, did you take a look at HPI offr in 190mm bodies?? They're neither TCS nor ROAR legal, but you have indeed a big variety to choose from...

http://www.hpieurope.com/gallery.php?catId=190&lang=en

I have a catalogue at home and there are even more than these...

hope it helps,
cheers,