R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default DC power supply question

I'm looking into buying a Novak Black box.. however the one i'm looking at only supplies 4.5Amps whereas the charger i have charges up to 6.5Amps.. i will not be charging above 4 amps at a time as that damages batteries anyways, would the power supply work? or would it not work as the charger is rated at 6.5amps.. thanks in advancE!
dorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorick View Post
I'm looking into buying a Novak Black box.. however the one i'm looking at only supplies 4.5Amps whereas the charger i have charges up to 6.5Amps.. i will not be charging above 4 amps at a time as that damages batteries anyways, would the power supply work? or would it not work as the charger is rated at 6.5amps.. thanks in advancE!
I don't know what type of batteries that you have but I own IB4200's and I charge them at 5.5 amps. Most guys will charge at 5 amps as the norm. I don't know of anyone that charges their batteries at 4 amps. With 4200's charging at 4 amps would take more than an hour.

Charging your batteries at 5amps is the norm and it will not harm your batteries at all. it is only when you start charging at 6.5 to 7 amps that this can happen.

Power supplies out there are not that expensive but I am a competitve racer and most competitive racers will have more than one charger because of the time that it takes to charge 4200's. My power supply is a 24amp supply and that gives me the ability to run 2 chargers and my lathe with plenty leftover.

I will suggest to you what I suggest to anyone, new or old to the hobby, if your plan is to get decent equipment, then pay the higher price and get a better power supply that supplies at least 14amps. they are less than $100 to do so. If not, you will probably have to come out of pocket in the future when you want to compete and start charging more than one battery at 4 amps.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Here is a link to integy's website
http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...tml?p_catid=19

that should give you a good llist of supplies. I do apologize, the 10amp supplies is less than $100. The 14amp may run a little higher.

Also if you have a Frey's near you, check with them as well.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
If you are only going to charge your packs at 4.0 amps, then the Novak power supply you asked about will be fine. If you plan on charging over 4.5 amps in the future, or want to run other devices off that power supply when you are charging your battery pack, then a higher amp rated power supply would be in order. There are many low priced ($50-$75) power supplys with 10amp and above power ratings. You might want to do a forum search on power supplies to get the manufactures of these lower priced power supplies. You can also look for a used one in the "For sale" thread on this site, or of course there is always Ebay - Good luck.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:

I woudl beg to differ...
EA Motorsports would advise you to charge at 6amps.
If you want a Power Supply that is powerful and isn't too expencive...Here is a link....
First a 20amp
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm
and a 30amp
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv300.htm
You will be able to run just about everything all at once with the 30amp one.
I have the 20amp for over two years now and it has worked flawlessly.
Hope that helps...
Cause you won't have to buy another PS to run a motor checker or fan or what ever else...
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie View Post
I woudl beg to differ...
EA Motorsports would advise you to charge at 6amps.
If you want a Power Supply that is powerful and isn't too expencive...Here is a link....
First a 20amp
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm
and a 30amp
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv300.htm
You will be able to run just about everything all at once with the 30amp one.
I have the 20amp for over two years now and it has worked flawlessly.
Hope that helps...
Cause you won't have to buy another PS to run a motor checker or fan or what ever else...
-Shookie <><
I don't disaree with you shookie but you know as well as I do that if you go to a track and ask "what amp should you charge your batteries at" you will get about 20 different answers.

Once again I don't disagree with you but here is the thing. I called Orion because I run their packs and I just bought 2 packs from EA so im not saying that Orion is better. I called them because I am like most people that race rc (at least I hope), I like to get direct information.

When I called Orion they said that the old cells had the ability to do so without running down the battery pack over time. Orion said that the IB's are a littlem more sensivite and can start to decrease over time. NOw whether that is true or not I don't know because I see guys doing a lot of different things at a lot of different tracks.

i.e. I charge my packs at 5.5 amps. I have read Eric's opinion about charging cells and I don't disagree with him at all. Hell how do you disagree with a guy that has so much experience matching batteries. I know that there are guys out there that charge at 5 amps even to 6.5. I charge my batteries at 5.5 becaue I happen tobe the one guy that charges at 6 and my pack blows up (LOL).

Like I said I just bought 2 packs from Eric at EA and I don't disagree with him at all. I am just saying 5 amps because that seems to be the safest amp to charge at from everything that I heard. Now experiment if you wish, like I said I charge at 5.5. But if I was new, I would say that 5 amps is the "safe point."

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie View Post
DAMN!! Where were you when I bought my power supply? Those are awesome prices.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"