Wiki Posts
Search

Lipos available for Pan Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Lipos available for Pan Cars?

With the advent of Lipo batteries being available for the TC carsWhat about pan cars?Basically the pan car I'm talking about are the 1/12th on-road chassis cars.Do they make a hard case version with maybe one cell fitting on 2 battery slots and the other cell with a jumper cable and fitting on the other two cell slots?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Nope not yet, Each cell in a lipo battery is 3.6v. You can get saddle type lipos from places like maxamps, but again you would be running 7.4 volts in 1/12th. Honestly 1/12th is such a small market (I use to run em), it will probably be a very long time , if ever, before some sort of lipo technology is made for 1/12th. Unless guys throw out 4 cell and want to go back to 6 cell chassis I dont see it happening. Besides with todays NiMh's and a good 19T a 1/12th can run well over 12min, or more.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wasn't thinking about it that way. They have a good following down here. This is also an idea about the oval cars(1/10th). Going to races with lipos and sub c's. Just wanted to have the same cell technology for all the classes.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

it's impossible with the technology today.

However, if you were to start your own rules, you could require a voltage limiter to bring a LiPo pack to 4 cell voltage.

you could also start LiPo spec class with the Novak Crawler motors or lath motors (both high turn) and a standard cell. Or find an airplane/helicoptor motor that is smaller than 540 size but bigger than the 1/18 brushless and run those in a spec class. With a 3000-4000 mah batt, you would probably be looking at a 30 minute main with any of the three .

You can't technically have 4-cell racing with LiPo, but you could synthasize your own rules to use them. Of course this will leave someone out in the cold, so you will probably be doing what you are doing for a while yet until a battery company builds their own "spec cells" with the regulater integrated.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BullFrog
I wasn't thinking about it that way. They have a good following down here. This is also an idea about the oval cars(1/10th). Going to races with lipos and sub c's. Just wanted to have the same cell technology for all the classes.
Bill the powers at be in oval are looking for power alternatives within the realm of lipo. Since pancars have been 4 cell for a while, we run into a problem.
Of course that being lipo is about equal with six cell as far as voltage. Each cell in a lipo pack specifically what we run has 2 3.6vlt half's, not close to the 5 volts from a four cell pack.
For that reason there are a few indiviuals out there testing motors for Novak to get " same as 4 cell speed's" with lipo.

Bill max amps does have split packs to run in 12 th scale but you may have to wait and see what comes out as far as motors so they wont be too fast for you! LOL!