R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-18-2003, 04:35 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

What should I get next?

I have a 1/10 Tamiya Ferrari Enzo TB-01. Parts I have are: 19,20,21T pinions; 55,58,61T spurs; original 540 stock motor (silver can); 1400mah battery; Futaba ESC,reciever,steering servo; everything else is original.
I've had my car for about 3 months, and I am driving on flat driveways/parking lots. I'm going to a meeting, to see what it's like in two weeks (1st time ).
My question is what hop up I should get next, considering my circumstances. I have no money limit unless it's something ridiculous. Thnx
yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:51 AM   #2
Tech Elite

If you're going to a race meeting, find out what motor class they're running and buy one of those motors so you can get up to speed. Check what tyres are being used as well, and buy a set.

For racing, you'll need more battery packs as well - with faster motors, you may struggle to make time with a 1400 pack. 3300's are the latest cells (good value too), but there are cheaper cells as well with 2000 capacity or more which are also OK for stock or 540 racing. To charge the 3300 cells you will need to make sure you have a NiMH safe peak charger.

The TB01 Enzo has an OK spec out of the box, and you should be able to use it as it is for a while without needing any upgrades. In future, you may want to look at different springs and oils for the suspension, universal joint driveshafts for the front, and maybe a few other parts - but too many Tamiya upgrades will work out expensive, and the TB is a heavy car, so it may be worth just changing to a different, lighter race car in the medium term.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 06:02 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hey,
dont forget the ball bearings!
if you got to the castle hill raceway site (sydney australia) u can find a list of the hop ups that were allowed in the tamiya cup. they dont allow alot, but from memory the were pretty much the ones u want without spending alot of money. but ball bearins first. then may turnbuckles? but yeah, get another car. after a bit when you are confident on the race track (leave it as long as possible, the longer u drive a not-so-good car the better you will get and the more you will appreciate the change!) go out and try and find a nice cheap second hand race level car, then your set! you'll have a muck around car and your race car.
hope this helped?
yobbism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Default Thanks

Thanks for your replies.
Sosidge, how long is medium term, 6 months, a year??
Yobbism, my car came with full ball bearings, sorry.
What cars do you mean by race level car? Can you give me examples.
I got another question. Is it normal if the wheels don't return straight after a full right or left? I put the car on the floor and I turn fully right or left and let go of the steering, the wheels never turn completly straight, and it makes a whirring sound as if its trying to turn straight. Its not the trims, and I have checked and rebuilt the whole steering mechanism and it still does it. Why?

Thanks again
Old 04-18-2003, 11:31 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

"In the medium term"

I think he means that you should run the car till you get better and start racing, put a few hop-ups to fix some of the problems with the TB but don't go all out because for the price of all the hop-ups to max-out the TB you could buy a new TC kit that's race ready box stock.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:54 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Like Fatdoggy said, the point is to avoid upgrading the car TOO much because it'll be a waste of money. Six months to a year seems like a reasonable timespan - but what is most important is how your driving is progressing - once you can do a whole five minute race without crashing and using the racing line, it's time too look at the improved performance of a true race chassis. You can see from the topic headings in this forum which models are popular. While you have your TB, make sure you keep it well maintained, and learn a little about setup (basically, stiffer settings equal less sensation of grip, useful for fine tuning the handling)

As for your steering problem, a standard servo won't always have enough torque to return the steering to neutral on the ground - check whether it centres while the car is running, or in the air. If it doesn't, you've either got a problem with the servo, or there is binding or damage in the steering mechanism.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 04:29 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

it also might be touching the top piece...my TB01 had that problem....i think that was it...but it was sorta touching...and yeah...may be ur servo...what kind of servo do u hav? futaba 3003s?
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 08:53 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Thank you all for posting.
Fatdoggy, yes I have noticed that tamiya parts are expensive, especially in New Zealand. eg. a pair of pinion gears costs nz$14 but in Japan cost 'bout nz$5. But I have relations in Japan so I can get them cheap if I want to. (got my Ferrari in Japan )
If I decide to buy a new car later on, it will be a Japanese one like Kyosho or Yokomo (?). Are there any others?
Sosidge. I have searched everywhere and only found ONE place where RC cars can race in my area and they only have meetings on every second saturday. So i can't practice alot. And my servo does turn back if you lift the car off the ground.
Davioh, one bit does seem to be touching but I found that it's not, and yeah the servo is a Futaba 3003.
Thanks