R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

How do I go about paying for a membership?
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
How do I go about paying for a membership?
See the "tech elite" logo under some people's name, click on that and it takes you to the membership page.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #93
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

please remove the Lame-O advertising banner on the side. its not user friendly for people who have 680x480 screen resolution

^^^ EDIT: sorry actually my reslotuion is 800x640

Last edited by GymBeam; 06-03-2007 at 09:54 PM.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #94
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam View Post
please remove the Lame-O advertising banner on the side. its not user friendly for people who have 680x480 screen resolution
640X480? Seriously? You will find very few websites that are optimised for that size.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't 100% recall the "old site" LOL ....but it had that same piece of real estate used for advertising as well didn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
640X480? Seriously? You will find very few websites that are optimised for that size.
Say Dat!!!
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #96
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Correct. 1024x768 is typically the lowest resolution these days used when testing/organizing a website. Anything below that just isn't used much anymore - the usage #s for that resolution are extremely, extremely small. Also, that spot on the page existed before the upgrade.

Are you able to increase your resolution? If so, you should at least give it a try so you can see how the site looks.

I run all my screens at 1920x1200 (except for when we test) and the layout fits perfectly. As some have mentioned, the logo does take up a bit of space the lower your screen resolution. But once you start raising it - the logo fits perfectly!
[b][url=http://www.ampdraw.com]Ampdraw Hobbies www.ampdraw.com[/url][/b] | [b][url=http://www.rctech.net/forum/payments.php][color=blue][size=2][i]rctech.net: now you're playing with power - become an elite member today[/i][/b][/color][/size][/url]
JasonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #97
Tech Regular

if there was advertising before, then something else has changed, i think the width of the user profile/avator is now wider... because now i have to scroll left-right for about an inch to read the forum.

i tried higher resolutions, with my 17" monitor, but sorry my poor eyes in my old age dont like it
Old 06-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #98
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The ads on the left are actually narrower than what was there before, which I believe was a summary of other stuff on the forum, in addition to the ads. The problem, as someone else mentioned, is the area for avatars seems to be wider than before. It's awfully extra wide for what it does.

I use a 30" monitor at 2560x1600. Not everybody runs their windows maximized, so there's a lot of benefit to keeping the windows smaller since you can keep more of them around without using up a bunch of space. Having a site that requires you to have the window at 1024x768 is obnoxious if there's not a good reason for it.

I personally code my sites to be as fluid as possible whenever I can, so even if there's sections that need to be a static width (like a menu or ad bar) there's a fluid section that allows the page to stretch and squish gracefully. This seems to be the best compromise most of the time.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #99
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jobo_ph Send a message via Skype™ to jobo_ph

The logo reminds me of Austin Powers! "Yeah, baby, yeah!"

And, yes, the T on the logo looks like an M...

And, yes, how about more smilies?

Overall, it looks neater... I'm getting used to it already.
jobo_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #100

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You should all pay up and be elite members...right now...you've all wasted enough of shane's bandwidth to warrant it.

I always click on the ads..shame on you, Anthony..shame..
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #101
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i dont really like the new logo in the top... it's too 'surfy'... definately not r/c style. the rest is okay.

I think the paid subscription is too much. 20USD a year sounds nice to me. I usually support all forums that I frequent. but by the time I convert the yearly subscription to AUD, it's quite high! hrmmm

'quick links' in the left column were nice before too!
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #102
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
if there was advertising before, then something else has changed, i think the width of the user profile/avator is now wider... because now i have to scroll left-right for about an inch to read the forum.

i tried higher resolutions, with my 17" monitor, but sorry my poor eyes in my old age dont like it
You're right that the username area is a bit wider. I will see if I can shrink it some.

Could you possibly send me a screen shot of this, though? Or let me know what resolution this is? When I tested at 1024x768 I do not get a scrolling behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The ads on the left are actually narrower than what was there before, which I believe was a summary of other stuff on the forum, in addition to the ads. The problem, as someone else mentioned, is the area for avatars seems to be wider than before. It's awfully extra wide for what it does.

I use a 30" monitor at 2560x1600. Not everybody runs their windows maximized, so there's a lot of benefit to keeping the windows smaller since you can keep more of them around without using up a bunch of space. Having a site that requires you to have the window at 1024x768 is obnoxious if there's not a good reason for it.

I personally code my sites to be as fluid as possible whenever I can, so even if there's sections that need to be a static width (like a menu or ad bar) there's a fluid section that allows the page to stretch and squish gracefully. This seems to be the best compromise most of the time.
This entire site should be fluid. It will look pretty crappy on 800x600 monitor and may have a scrollbar, because there are some fixed-width elements of the design (left hand bar, logo, banner, post box, etc). On a 1024x768 or higher, there should be no issues and there weren't in my testing, so these are bugs, not intentional design decisions. I'll be looking into this more tomorrow, it's probably just one or two spots that need to be adjusted.

edit: Ah, I okay I just went back and re-read the earlier discussion. Yea, 640x480... I am not sure what to tell you. I realize that "good design" as syndr0me mentions should handle any resolution, but there is an awful lot to fit into each page here, and 640 across (more like 600 after scrollbars and such) is not much at all. The left hand banner space is around 120, the avatar area is around 200, plus it needs to fit in the logo and banner at the top which is over 640 all in all. I can't think of a very good way to make it viewable with that, unfortunately. I'll give it a shot on my test site tomorrow though.

Last edited by futureal; 06-03-2007 at 09:39 PM.
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #103
Tech Regular

actually my reslution is not 600x480, i'm not sure where is got that resolution from... yes i agree that is dinosaur age.

anyway my resolution is 800x600, which is on a 17" monitor.

below is pic of what my screen looks like when i open up a page.....

i'm pretty sure previosly, i also did have to scroll Left-right to see the whole screen, but was only like 1cm, so wasnt really an issue as i could always see all the text on the page anyway.

EDIT: i have posted 3 pics

1st pic is the Top layer Page, everything fits nicely

2nd pic is when i click a Section Page, its short by about 1.2cm

3rd pic is when i read a post, short by about 1 inch.
Attached Thumbnails
How cool is the new look!!!-rctecha.gif   How cool is the new look!!!-rctechb.gif   How cool is the new look!!!-rctech2.gif  

Last edited by GymBeam; 06-03-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #104
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Thanks for the screenshot. I will take a look at this tomorrow and see if I can make it any better for you without sacrificing functionality.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Not sure if this is happening for you or not Gym, but I know lots of times in the for sale threads and the painting/photgraphy threads people post HUGE pics that stretch the whole page off screen. Just thought I'd mention it in case taht is happening for you.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote