R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
Tech Master

Mate, so long as you are a little careful with IB's, you SHOULD be ok. I do know of people that have had dead cells before they have been taken out of the pack though!

I would also say that when you get your discharger, don't set the voltage for .9v per cell. The problem with this is that one cell might be holding say 1.1v whilst another goes below .9v to .8 or below, which is bad for IB's.

Discharge using the discharging function of your charger (hope that makes sense!) to 1v each cell (use the 20 or 30 amp current or else you'll be there all day), then discharge using a individual cell discharger down to .9v each cell.

This will stop you from discharging below 9.v per cell hopefully keeping your cells in good condition.

Has anyone else seen those pics of someone (I think Hara) using 4 chargers to charge 4 cells in a 12th scale pack? That's a bit of overkill me thinks!
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
Ma
Has anyone else seen those pics of someone (I think Hara) using 4 chargers to charge 4 cells in a 12th scale pack? That's a bit of overkill me thinks!
You're right, it is overkill but we are tallking about someone who gets all of their stuff for free. Even if i was getting it for free I don't think that I would need to use 4 chargers.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The problem I have is that my current charger discharges at a rate of only 5A which means I will be sitting around all day and need to buy about 6 packs to race! So I am trying to figure out what in addition to the DPD I need to buy without spending a ton of money or getting a new charger.
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

wingman2 is right, the dpd has an adjustable cutoff for the cells, use the 30amp Dyna Pulse on the DPD to discharge you pack down to 1v or 1.1v then use the Linear 5amp discharge down to .9v right before you charge. With 2 or 3 packs you can do this every time you cycle your batts and be just fine . Hopefully I will get to meet Hara at the ROAR Nats, and if not there he will definatly be attending the Much More Grand Prix (date TBA) up here at SIR, I will have to ask him about the 4 chargers thing, and how it worked out. Keith at MMR tells me he is super nice, and is eager to talk with fans, as is Andy Moore and most every racer for MMR.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #20
Tech Master

CarKing, no need to buy anthing else as explained above the DPD will do all your discharging needs
Old 06-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
CarKing, no need to buy anthing else as explained above the DPD will do all your discharging needs
The only thing that I can think of that you might want is a equalizing tray unless the DPD does that as well. I don't know because I don't have a DPD

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #22
Tech Master

According to the manual and I quote "Perfect Equilization of each Cell", I havent owned one either but from what I have read and heard from others that have one it works just like the MMR CTX-D2, and even gives more info on the batts, at least till MMR releases the PC link
Link to Instuction Manual
http://www.teamtrinity.com/dpd_instruction.pdf
Old 06-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #23
Tech Master

Yeah, I've got a DPD! If you use the 30amp 'pulse' discharger, a fully charged pack takes about 1hr 15 minutes to discharge down to .9v per cell. The 5amp linear discharge function takes a little less time but not much.

I leave my packs with 5-600mah capacity whilst being stored and use the DPD to bring the cells down to .9v each BEFORE charging them for the next heat or final at a meeting. At the end of the heat, I usually discharge them down to 1v per cell at a 20 amp discharge (which is what my discharger within the charger does) just to see whats left for gearing or motor choice purposes.

Once home, they all get put on the DPD once again to .9v each and then have the 5-600 mah put back in them till the next meeting.

Seems a lot of hassle but my Corally IB4200's really are in great shape so I must be doing something correctly, correct?

Just to add, never used to have this hassle with GP cells. Both 33's and 37's used to get put on a Infinity 30amp discharger (the one with the small bulbs on) and left until needed for the next heat or final. Then charge them up and go! Easy!!

Lastly, if you could ask Hara about the 4 charger thing, I did try using 2 chargers on one 4 cell pack once (the idea that 2 cells would peak together whilst the other 2 peaked together, hopefully being better overall), but it blow a fuse in one of the chargers!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboogie View Post
Hell I have been racing for 6 years and I still have questions.
Me too, especially since I started 1/12th scale, and I am always looking for better motor, and battery maintinace. I agree there is alot of bad info out there, I usually ask a few people about a problem I am having, reaserch it in magazines and on the internet, then try what seems to be the most repeated info, and fine tune it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
Yeah, I've got a DPD! If you use the 30amp 'pulse' discharger, a fully charged pack takes about 1hr 15 minutes to discharge down to .9v per cell. The 5amp linear discharge function takes a little less time but not much.

I leave my packs with 5-600mah capacity whilst being stored and use the DPD to bring the cells down to .9v each BEFORE charging them for the next heat or final at a meeting. At the end of the heat, I usually discharge them down to 1v per cell at a 20 amp discharge (which is what my discharger within the charger does) just to see whats left for gearing or motor choice purposes.

Once home, they all get put on the DPD once again to .9v each and then have the 5-600 mah put back in them till the next meeting.

Seems a lot of hassle but my Corally IB4200's really are in great shape so I must be doing something correctly, correct?

Just to add, never used to have this hassle with GP cells. Both 33's and 37's used to get put on a Infinity 30amp discharger (the one with the small bulbs on) and left until needed for the next heat or final. Then charge them up and go! Easy!!

Lastly, if you could ask Hara about the 4 charger thing, I did try using 2 chargers on one 4 cell pack once (the idea that 2 cells would peak together whilst the other 2 peaked together, hopefully being better overall), but it blow a fuse in one of the chargers!
Thanks Wingman2, I am almost tempted to get a DPD for home, it looks to have great info on your cells, and at the price of batts and how tempermental they are, the more you know about what they are doing, the better off you are
Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Thanks a lot guys for giving me the info.......

I think I will get another IB4200 pack for this race and just charge each battery between race... after that I will try to buy discharger..
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 AM   #26
Tech Master

No prob guys, I think that sub c batterys are perhaps getting to their limits with regards to capacity and voltage. The great thing about IB's is their very low internal resistance but that is their downfall as well, they self discharge at a silly rate, thats why you need to put 5-600 mah back in for storage or they have problems.

If I can help out anymore, let me know!

Cheers, Chris.