R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #121
Tech Addict
 
BigDaddyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Port Moody, BC
Posts: 620
Send a message via MSN to BigDaddyT
Default

That's somewhat true - but it sure is nice to have someone doing that for you instead of having to finance it for yourself.

The good tuners have pretty tight tolerances for what they will ship. Even if you're getting services that you may be able to do yourself, you're still getting the benefits of that "weeding out" process.

You can buy 20 stock motors, build them, tune them, dyno them, etc. and then ditch the ones that don't perform. Or, you can pay a few extra bucks to have someone that knows what they're doing take care of all that for you and stand behind the performance. It's not magic - just hard work, consistent procedures, and honest measurement.
BigDaddyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #122
Tech Master
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 1,170
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
More national titles then most teams......and I have nor any of my guys ever reamed a bushing.....u will never get it straight......pointless....

Later EddieO
Eddie, there has been some discussion at the track as to weather or not Zapping a can does anything, we all know that heat is a magnets worst enemy, but their were some who said the magnet that are used in motor aren't the kind that can be recharged, and some say yes. Could you please explain
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #123
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

thanks for all the opinions


who has the most wins to back up there motors?

i have decided to keep my motor, just track time for me and thats what i did today! with the GRATE help of billy (owner) my car is sooo close to dialed for me.. i think lol i was doing prety good
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #124
Tech Fanatic
 
tbeardmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: aka "Rock Star"...!
Posts: 879
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyT View Post
It's not magic - just hard work, consistent procedures, and honest measurement.
Very True!
__________________
BMI DB10R, Corally RDX PHi, BMI 12R..!!
Need a "real" car... contact me at:
www.beardmorechevy.com -or- www.beardmoresubaru.com
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #125
Tech Elite
 
RCBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 2,081
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Eddie, there has been some discussion at the track as to weather or not Zapping a can does anything, we all know that heat is a magnets worst enemy, but their were some who said the magnet that are used in motor aren't the kind that can be recharged, and some say yes. Could you please explain
I know that when I zap a can new or used I take readings on the gauss meter before and after. Even on new cans it makes a difference, though not as much as the older cans obviously.
__________________
Don't sweat the petty things...........Pet the sweaty things!!

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #126
Tech Master
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 1,170
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBLUE View Post
I know that when I zap a can new or used I take readings on the gauss meter before and after. Even on new cans it makes a difference, though not as much as the older cans obviously.
Thanks RCBlue, I will also try having some of my old cans Zapped and see if I notice any difference.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #127
Tech Elite
 
EddieO's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,414
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Well.....magnets are a touchy subject....

First, we zap them all as they come from the case.....mainly because A. its possible they are not charged at all B. they are charged backwards C. they can lose charge as they sit.

Anyone who wants to dispute, is simply nuts and/or has never opened a case of motors.

Now, once the motor is built............zapping, well is kinda a crap shoot. Obviously a motor that has been massively overheated usually can use a zap or a motor near the end of its days that seems to have fallen off some. However, there is this fine line of when you DON'T want to zap. Motors have a sweetspot in magnet strength compared to the makeup of the arm. Usually the fastest motors have this......so if you zap, then the magnets begin to overpower the arm and it doesn't spin up like it used to.

A great example of this was in the 2004 Paved Nats in Portland. We had the dreaded Reedy MVP as the handout. These things had the FB9 magnets in them(same as the mods), which massively overpowered the arm and the thing generated no RPM worth a crap....and the torque simply did not make up the difference in lost HP....so, little did anyone know.....a few motors were taken up to my room.....and I used a butane torch on them to kill the magnets some.....and we finally were able to get close to that sweet spot....(EddieO brood Edition Butane Torches will be on the site shortly)....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #128
Tech Elite
 
RBLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,747
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Well.....magnets are a touchy subject....

First, we zap them all as they come from the case.....mainly because A. its possible they are not charged at all B. they are charged backwards C. they can lose charge as they sit.

Anyone who wants to dispute, is simply nuts and/or has never opened a case of motors.

Now, once the motor is built............zapping, well is kinda a crap shoot. Obviously a motor that has been massively overheated usually can use a zap or a motor near the end of its days that seems to have fallen off some. However, there is this fine line of when you DON'T want to zap. Motors have a sweetspot in magnet strength compared to the makeup of the arm. Usually the fastest motors have this......so if you zap, then the magnets begin to overpower the arm and it doesn't spin up like it used to.

A great example of this was in the 2004 Paved Nats in Portland. We had the dreaded Reedy MVP as the handout. These things had the FB9 magnets in them(same as the mods), which massively overpowered the arm and the thing generated no RPM worth a crap....and the torque simply did not make up the difference in lost HP....so, little did anyone know.....a few motors were taken up to my room.....and I used a butane torch on them to kill the magnets some.....and we finally were able to get close to that sweet spot....(EddieO brood Edition Butane Torches will be on the site shortly)....

Later EddieO

That is just awesome
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #129
Tech Master
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 1,170
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Well.....magnets are a touchy subject....

First, we zap them all as they come from the case.....mainly because A. its possible they are not charged at all B. they are charged backwards C. they can lose charge as they sit.

Anyone who wants to dispute, is simply nuts and/or has never opened a case of motors.

Now, once the motor is built............zapping, well is kinda a crap shoot. Obviously a motor that has been massively overheated usually can use a zap or a motor near the end of its days that seems to have fallen off some. However, there is this fine line of when you DON'T want to zap. Motors have a sweetspot in magnet strength compared to the makeup of the arm. Usually the fastest motors have this......so if you zap, then the magnets begin to overpower the arm and it doesn't spin up like it used to.

A great example of this was in the 2004 Paved Nats in Portland. We had the dreaded Reedy MVP as the handout. These things had the FB9 magnets in them(same as the mods), which massively overpowered the arm and the thing generated no RPM worth a crap....and the torque simply did not make up the difference in lost HP....so, little did anyone know.....a few motors were taken up to my room.....and I used a butane torch on them to kill the magnets some.....and we finally were able to get close to that sweet spot....(EddieO brood Edition Butane Torches will be on the site shortly)....

Later EddieO
Thanks Eddie, did your motors win that race?
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #130
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Well.....magnets are a touchy subject....

First, we zap them all as they come from the case.....mainly because A. its possible they are not charged at all B. they are charged backwards C. they can lose charge as they sit.

Anyone who wants to dispute, is simply nuts and/or has never opened a case of motors.

Now, once the motor is built............zapping, well is kinda a crap shoot. Obviously a motor that has been massively overheated usually can use a zap or a motor near the end of its days that seems to have fallen off some. However, there is this fine line of when you DON'T want to zap. Motors have a sweetspot in magnet strength compared to the makeup of the arm. Usually the fastest motors have this......so if you zap, then the magnets begin to overpower the arm and it doesn't spin up like it used to.

A great example of this was in the 2004 Paved Nats in Portland. We had the dreaded Reedy MVP as the handout. These things had the FB9 magnets in them(same as the mods), which massively overpowered the arm and the thing generated no RPM worth a crap....and the torque simply did not make up the difference in lost HP....so, little did anyone know.....a few motors were taken up to my room.....and I used a butane torch on them to kill the magnets some.....and we finally were able to get close to that sweet spot....(EddieO brood Edition Butane Torches will be on the site shortly)....

Later EddieO

sounds cool!

how much to zap a can? and all that stuff?
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #131
Tech Elite
 
EddieO's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,414
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Well, thats a long long story.....Peter managed to get third after getting hosed in qualifying...over a BS ruling on how qpoints worked....in the XXXS on asphalt after getting taken out two races in a row by his own teammate...

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #132
Tech Elite
 
RBLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,747
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Thanks Eddie, did your motors win that race?

delete
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #133
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,791
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

well guys, i got my motor figured out! SWEET!

car runs SOO good, waay better then ever, and to top it a GRATE new set up for the car
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yokomo Motor Tuner wyl03 Australia For Sale/Trade 5 11-04-2007 03:51 AM
Bud Light presents, R/C Men of Genius - Mr. Stock Racing Motor Tuner McSmooth Electric On-Road 19 09-05-2007 12:37 PM
Yokomo MMS motor Tuner m3ndo5a R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 09-28-2006 09:11 AM
Stock motor sale !!!!CO27,P2k Pro, Monsters stock Marcos.J R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 36 06-27-2006 06:26 AM
Motor Tuner Special - Everything you need! koabich R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 05-23-2006 02:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:03 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net