R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by march to my own
No offense section 8 but I'm not sure if you undrestand...

When you buy a motor from one of these tuners all your getting is a fancy Sticker and to make it look like they tuned the motor they sometimes use there own motor spacers... they cut the com. Woooo big deal!

The fact of the mater is when you go to a big race like Cleveland/Vegas of coarse you get a hand out motor and for a split second everyone is on a level playing field...

What imediately begins to happen because motors are never torn down and checked is you have people swaping armatures from can to can as well as motor tuners cranking armatures on special jigs which gives them major HP advantage...

Any motor tuner care to share in this conversation? ?????? Yea right...

I am glad for brushless racing.

i will be bl soon enuff lol

but what do they do to tune them and all? is it hard?
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Hey EA.

How about Cleveland? No cranking and swapping...

I know there was no checkin...

I also know there was some jiggin... right?
march to my own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

I understand perfectly. A beginner, without all of the tools to tune their own motors will be better off with a motor from one of the venders, or a motor that someone from their track tunes for them if they are competitive enough.

Which races were not checking motors for legality?

What are you smoking? If you think that there isn't going to be cheating with brushless then you are high. people already try and change the finish on the sintered rotors to pass for non sintered, and I am sure that someone has tried to sinter a nonsintered rotor in thier oven , this is a hobby, and PROFESSIONALS in different fields have access to different equipment and knowledge and can easily tamper with the motors and probably the software.
Section 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Hey EA.

How about Cleveland? No cranking and swapping...

I know there was no checkin...

I also know there was some jiggin... right?
I cant speak for everyone else but I know we didnt do any of that and never have. Yes all of our motors were torn down after each round as one of my drivers TQ'd 2 classes and was torn down EVERY ROUND AND THE MAINS. His motor was perfectly legal every single round and never DQ'd.

Again you dont have a clue.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:

When you buy a motor from one of these tuners all your getting is a fancy Sticker and to make it look like they tuned the motor they sometimes use there own motor spacers... they cut the com. Woooo big deal!

The fact of the mater is when you go to a big race like Cleveland/Vegas of coarse you get a hand out motor and for a split second everyone is on a level playing field...

What imediately begins to happen because motors are never torn down and checked is you have people swaping armatures from can to can as well as motor tuners cranking armatures on special jigs which gives them major HP advantage...

What's your excuse when someone with a brushless motor BLOWS BY YOU? Are you going to accuse them of cheating too?

I can't believe you have the AUDACITY (since you probably dont know what that word means, here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/audacity) to come in here HIDE behind a screenname and point fingers at industry professionals of cheating. EA helped me at the Reedy race. and when i got my car figured out, motor was not a problem.

Now that you have my 2 cents, go out and buy a clue.

- Chris Lim
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #21
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Team Kwik Send a message via MSN to Team Kwik

Quote:

This may be true for other motor companies but it is quite certainly not the case with our product. Shawn invests as much time as he needs with every motor to ensure they leave our shop within a very strict set of specifications. Everyone starts by tearing it apart, cutting and zapping but there is always more to it. It is not uncommon to see Shawn break in the motor and have to make 3-4 changes before they are acceptable to him. Each one of these changes involves cooling the motor, making changes, breaking in again if required and testing on the dyno. At times it can be a very tedious process but all of the motors we send out are top notch.

Quote:

I obviously can't speak for any other company but my own. What immediately happens when we get motors is pretty simple. We start the same process that we would if we were sitting in our workshop building motors for our customers. We open them up and do the routine zap and cut, align brush hoods and attach our brushes and springs of choice. Shawn then begins his tedious process of tweaking every single motor until it's within an acceptable range for him. There is no twisting with magical jigs involved. At the Reedy race this past week Shawn put more motors in the 19t main than any other builder and he did it all with a live camera in front of him.

The 2007 Novak race was the introduction of a jig that is designed to allow tech inspection guys to check arms and races now are very strict on what the tolerance levels for timing should be. We were not able to attend the Novak race and sent 8-9 motors out to our team, every single motor passed tech with no issues. We have been hearing stories about manufacturing tolerances being all over the map and creating these problems, this prompted us to purchase a gauge so we could be 100% sure every motor we ship or put on a race track is perfectly legal. I am not sure how many other companies have these tools as they certainly are not cheap (several hundred dollars) but to us it was a small price to pay to ensure we are putting out the highest quality, legal product we possibly can.

Quote:

We are always more than happy to engage in a productive conversation. I hope this has at least helped to paint a more detailed picture of how our company works behind the scenes.

Take care,
Nick
Old 06-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #22
Tech Adept

my arm wasn't engraved to keep people from swapping? was yours?

also when you crank do you think the tech guys were trained to tell the difference???

I'd be happy to talk to any of you on the ph about this.

don't mess with me I will name specifics with people no problem...
Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #23
Team EAM

Quote:
my arm wasn't engraved to keep people from swapping? was yours?

also when you crank do you think the tech guys were trained to tell the difference???

I'd be happy to talk to any of you on the ph about this.

don't mess with me I will name specifics with people no problem...

No they were not engraved....As I said before I cant speak for other companies but I KNOW what I did and did not do at the race and past races. And what you mentioned is NOT something we did.

Well seeing as to how a certain motor manufacture went over to tech and told them what to look for I am pretty sure they knew half way what they were doing although they did not have an exact gauge like was used at all the other races.

My number is on my website....And you know my name...Too bad your hiding behind a fake name used for nothing but causing trouble.

As for the last....whatever.

EA
Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Nick,

I didn't name you.

You guys are 100% legit! I know one of you best drivas from Florida Jeff Brown.

I am sorry but this had to get out sooner or later. I speek for many of us who are $%^#%%!!! off about it!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #25
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kwik
This may be true for other motor companies but it is quite certainly not the case with our product. Shawn invests as much time as he needs with every motor to ensure they leave our shop within a very strict set of specifications. Everyone starts by tearing it apart, cutting and zapping but there is always more to it. It is not uncommon to see Shawn break in the motor and have to make 3-4 changes before they are acceptable to him. Each one of these changes involves cooling the motor, making changes, breaking in again if required and testing on the dyno. At times it can be a very tedious process but all of the motors we send out are top notch.

I obviously can't speak for any other company but my own. What immediately happens when we get motors is pretty simple. We start the same process that we would if we were sitting in our workshop building motors for our customers. We open them up and do the routine zap and cut, align brush hoods and attach our brushes and springs of choice. Shawn then begins his tedious process of tweaking every single motor until it's within an acceptable range for him. There is no twisting with magical jigs involved. At the Reedy race this past week Shawn put more motors in the 19t main than any other builder and he did it all with a live camera in front of him.

The 2007 Novak race was the introduction of a jig that is designed to allow tech inspection guys to check arms and races now are very strict on what the tolerance levels for timing should be. We were not able to attend the Novak race and sent 8-9 motors out to our team, every single motor passed tech with no issues. We have been hearing stories about manufacturing tolerances being all over the map and creating these problems, this prompted us to purchase a gauge so we could be 100% sure every motor we ship or put on a race track is perfectly legal. I am not sure how many other companies have these tools as they certainly are not cheap (several hundred dollars) but to us it was a small price to pay to ensure we are putting out the highest quality, legal product we possibly can.

We are always more than happy to engage in a productive conversation. I hope this has at least helped to paint a more detailed picture of how our company works behind the scenes.

Take care,
Nick
Hey Nick,

Good post and it is pretty much what I do as well. Tell Shaun Awesome job at the Reedy race! He had me beat in the main by a couple of guys!! LOL

Tell Shaun I'll see him at the next one and you need to come out and play more too!

EA
Old 06-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to kyle478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 8
I understand perfectly. A beginner, without all of the tools to tune their own motors will be better off with a motor from one of the venders, or a motor that someone from their track tunes for them if they are competitive enough.

Which races were not checking motors for legality?

What are you smoking? If you think that there isn't going to be cheating with brushless then you are high. people already try and change the finish on the sintered rotors to pass for non sintered, and I am sure that someone has tried to sinter a nonsintered rotor in thier oven , this is a hobby, and PROFESSIONALS in different fields have access to different equipment and knowledge and can easily tamper with the motors and probably the software.

HAHAH how can you sinter a nonsintered rotor?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #27
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle478
I once put a hamster in my pants.
Ass Toot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLayfield
Axiom Motors (cheap plug )
I am with him.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to kyle478

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle478

The oven isnt working
Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #30
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So you guys are slow then?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote