Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Core RC 5000mah Lipos... >

Core RC 5000mah Lipos...

Core RC 5000mah Lipos...

Old 12-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Can I remove the Red Core style connectors once fitted, can they pull out with enough force, without damaging the connectors or their shrouds?

Skiddins
Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Great info Shawn...

Now I have to rethink my charger for the Core
Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
The Jay...I will open it up and move the balance plug over so the pack can sit straight in the car.

==

Can people post what chargers and/or balancers they are using?
Here yah go again Nexus; the best thing about making the switch to Lipo/BL- LESS TO TOTE

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey shawn or any one for that matter whats the deal with the new eagle cdc 7 or integy climate control charger as its called?
it na charge lipo at 1c which all ice users know is easy enough to trick into charging at 2c apart from that any goodor bad news with this charger and lipos?
cheers
Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Skiddins - we have different connectors on ours here in the US, so I can't help you there. I'd shoot a mail in to Chris and see.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

No direct experience w/the CDC 7. It looks a bit pricey for the features, but otherwise pretty nice.

Be careful with more than 1C charging - I've yet to see anything but negative effects on cycle life with higher charge rates than 1C. PLUS - 2C charges only gain you about 10-15mins of charge time and that's ONLY when you start with a fully empty pack. Charges from about 1/2 capacity or up - it doesn't really gain you any time at all. Not a good trade-off IMO.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

One more IMPORTANT note on warranty:
I've had a few reports of pack voltage being WAY too low when using LRP Sphere TC ESCs even when set to lipo cutoff mode. Adam has one and I'll be looking at it tomorrow to see where it cuts a test pack off at. I don't really want to find that it's cutting too low, but if it is, there will have to be some fairly ugly announcements. For right now - if you're using a Sphere TC ESC - DO NOT run your packs all the way to the ESC cutoff please
Any news on your tests yet?

I have the Nosram ISTC which is basically the same ESC?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Shawn,
thanks for the info on the chargers.

regarding lipo chargers, are they any difference in performance using different chargers ie high-end vs low end chargers?

is it the same case as NiMH where there is a difference between a competition vs an intermediate or entry level charger?
Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Unfortunately I've got ugly news:

When set to "Value 1: Lipo/NiMH Automatic" mode, the LRP Sphere Competition We have here in our office DOES NOT cut off correctly for Lipos. It drug a pack all the way down to 3.5v (Should cut off at 6.0v or higher) before it cut off, and after the pack rebounded to 5v it allowed the motor to run again.

Until this issue is fixed, CORE lipos will not be warranted when used with these ESCs.

I'm not sure if it's a glitch/mistake in the software, or maybe LRP doesn't know what the critical lipo cutoff voltage should be, but this could get very ugly, very expensive, and happen very fast for a whole lot of folks running them with lipos.

This was one test with one unit, but this one unit (triple checked it was on the correct setting) just killed a lipo pack dead on my bench.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Doriftu:
The Lipo charging scheme is extremely simple in comparison to NiMH charging. As long as the pack shows 8.4v when the charger is done, it's completely charged and ready no matter how long or short (full 1C charge rate or less) it took to get it there. So you won't really see pack performance differences when used with different chargers.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer

When set to "Value 1: Lipo/NiMH Automatic" mode, the LRP Sphere Competition We have here in our office DOES NOT cut off correctly for Lipos. It drug a pack all the way down to 3.5v (Should cut off at 6.0v or higher) before it cut off, and after the pack rebounded to 5v it allowed the motor to run again.

Until this issue is fixed, CORE lipos will not be warranted when used with these ESCs.

I'm not sure if it's a glitch/mistake in the software, or maybe LRP doesn't know what the critical lipo cutoff voltage should be, but this could get very ugly, very expensive, and happen very fast for a whole lot of folks running them with lipos.

This was one test with one unit, but this one unit (triple checked it was on the correct setting) just killed a lipo pack dead on my bench.
What!!! I was just talkin' to Ritchie about our LRP's. We have TC Spec though...hmmm, I wonder Thanks for that bit of info Shawn The effort is definitely appreciated. Boy, I'm glad I just picked up (2) Novak lipo cut-off devices....
Old 12-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

That's what this one (Adam's) is too - Sphere TC Comp
Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

That's what this one (Adam's) is too - Sphere TC Comp
i guess i need to bring mine for you to test,( but use Adam's battery pack)
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
i guess i need to bring mine for you to test,( but use Adam's battery pack)
Mine too!!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

will the SP esc have the correct lipo cut-off?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.