R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #121
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Has anyone figured out the proper balancing adapter/s for these packs yet?
Look down a few posts
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #122
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This may sound dumb, but can someone tell me for the Core pack which wire on the balance tap is the one that ends up in between the two cells?

I am asking this because I currently use a Scorpion charger from FMA Direct and it is a balance charger (I.E. it always balances while charging). The Scorpion charging plug has 4mm banana plugs for battery (+) and battery (-), but the balance plug (for the wire betwen the two cells) is a 3mm banana plug (pretty much geared toward Orinon packs).
http://www.fmadirect.com/Products.htm?cat=32&nid=24

I can make the required cable modification easy enough. I just need to know which wire on the Core balance tap is the one between the two cells.

Thanks.

BTW, anyone check this site out?
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html
Cool information if you want to see different LiPo configurations.

Last edited by slakr; 11-18-2007 at 12:06 AM.
slakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #123
Tech Elite

Can anyone tell me how these compare against the Trakpower 4900's and the Orions. I mean real data as opposed to hearsay.

I had had the Trakpower items recommended to me for their 25c rating etc. If they use the same cells as the Core, why is the Core only rated at 20c?

I was in the model shop yesterday trying to see how we could get a Trakpower to fit an Mi3, which is impossible without either mounting it on it's side or making the end with the power connectors stick out

Out of interest, why don't ANY of the Lipo manufactures put the power connections along one side, just like a pack of Sub-C's, instead of at one end, which is bound to cause problems.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #124
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

JST EH type, just gogle it to find places to buy plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr View Post
This may sound dumb, but can someone tell me for the Core pack which wire on the balance tap is the one that ends up in between the two cells?

I am asking this because I currently use a Scorpion charger from FMA Direct and it is a balance charger (I.E. it always balances while charging). The Scorpion charging plug has 4mm banana plugs for battery (+) and battery (-), but the balance plug (for the wire betwen the two cells) is a 3mm banana plug (pretty much geared toward Orinon packs).

I can make the required cable modification easy enough. I just need to know which wire on the Core balance tap is the one between the two cells.

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Out of interest, why don't ANY of the Lipo manufactures put the power connections along one side, just like a pack of Sub-C's, instead of at one end, which is bound to cause problems.

I have been wondering the same thing!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #126
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr View Post

Thanks.

using a volt meter black wire is negative, middle wire has 3.2 volts, outside red wire has 7.4 volts. i used a trinton jr and eqinox (sp) balancer with the 2s tap and it charged and balanced just fine. you have to take a razor to the tap on the battery and trim it up a bit, but it will fit.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #127
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
using a volt meter black wire is negative, middle wire has 3.2 volts, outside red wire has 7.4 volts. i used a trinton jr and eqinox (sp) balancer with the 2s tap and it charged and balanced just fine. you have to take a razor to the tap on the battery and trim it up a bit, but it will fit.
Great answer, thanks.
slakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Can anyone tell me how these compare against the Trakpower 4900's and the Orions. I mean real data as opposed to hearsay.

I had had the Trakpower items recommended to me for their 25c rating etc. If they use the same cells as the Core, why is the Core only rated at 20c?

I was in the model shop yesterday trying to see how we could get a Trakpower to fit an Mi3, which is impossible without either mounting it on it's side or making the end with the power connectors stick out

Skiddins

This Friday I'm going to use my Core 5000 in a Mi3 running 13.5 BL rubber tires. I can swap out the Core with a Orion 4800 and/or 3600 and see the lap times.

Not really scientific but it's something :P
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #129
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

We should have some more data too here in a bit as several drivers at our track running Mi3's have orions currently and are in the process of getting the 5000.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #130
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
JST EH type, just gogle it to find places to buy plugs.
I hope the 1st one is what I need.......

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 10:34 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #131
Tech Champion

If I'm looking at that right, it needs to be the other way around?????

The looks like a male end just like the pack....i might be way wrong though

Quote:
Old 11-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #132
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
If I'm looking at that right, it needs to be the other way around?????

The looks like a male end just like the pack....i might be way wrong though
The female end on that fits on the Core and the male end on my balancer.....I'm hoping

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #133
Tech Champion

Yeah I think your right, it just looks a bit funny to me cause I never really paid any attention the the balance plug on the Core pack because it doesn't require any attention IMO???????
Old 11-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #134
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
on the top plug it looks like the male end is the same as the core plug,

the female end looks like it fit the male end of a flightpower helicopter battery i have.

as posted before, the core lipo male end with some trimming fit a electrifly equinox balancer i have for my helicopter batteries, what i didn't say was, using the equinox as a "charge thru" balancer it took a very long time to balance my heli batteries. however, the core battery balanced very quickly, when the charger shut off, the balancer was done, this tells me, the core battery is of very high quality and i probably will only use the balancer once a month or so just to check. my pit bag just got lighter
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #135
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
on the top plug it looks like the male end is the same as the core plug,

the female end looks like it fit the male end of a flightpower helicopter battery i have.

as posted before, the core lipo male end with some trimming fit a electrifly equinox balancer i have for my helicopter batteries, what i didn't say was, using the equinox as a "charge thru" balancer it took a very long time to balance my heli batteries. however, the core battery balanced very quickly, when the charger shut off, the balancer was done, this tells me, the core battery is of very high quality and i probably will only use the balancer once a month or so just to check. my pit bag just got lighter
I stopped at my LHS which is huge in heli/plane stuff as well as lipos. He hooked up my new Core 5000s to his balancer and they were perfectly balanced out of the package.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote