R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
The cells in the Core LiPo pack are from one of the top LiPo manufacturers.
Which manufacturer? Or is it still too early to tell?
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Which manufacturer? Or is it still too early to tell?
Schumacher does not want to say. Why would they want to help their competitors after spending all the time searching for the supplier and testing products.

The cells are the real deal. There are true to the rated capacity, they hold voltage under very impressive loads and they last.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

wuts the price on these moes??? i could use 2 or 3 for my stable of electric cars.

leon mcintosh
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

punk, nexus has them on their site with a price.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #50
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Cool. Now if only these brand names would stop charging us $40-50 for a $1 plastic or $4 aluminum case, lipos would really be ready to take over touring cars.
At least they disclose the manufacturer of their cells, so you know a lot of that cost is because they're going with a quality company. The ones you need to worry about are those that try to hide the origin, because you really don't know what you're getting, other than their "word" that the cells are just great. And that's crap, sorry. There's a LOT of documentation on cells from the various LiPo manufacturers out there, and knowing who makes the cells allows us to very easily determine where they stand, and what kind of value we're getting. Buying batteries with unknown cells is just an expensive grab bag.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #51
Tech Lord

Quote:
Schumacher does not want to say. Why would they want to help their competitors after spending all the time searching for the supplier and testing products.
I know this is the trend, especially when sourcing Chinese cells, but I find it very disappointing. There is a massive, massive difference in quality from one company to the next, and it's all very well-documented. As consumers get more smart about LiPo, they will expect to know what they're buying. Right now, most people don't realize there's any difference at all from one company to the next, but they'll learn eventually.

I would bet if you looked at profit margins on companies selling cheaper LiPo cells vs. those selling the higher quality cells, you'd see the cheaper cells yield more profit. It's easy to undercut the prices of Orion by some small margin, and people will think they're getting a great deal. Little do they know, the cells themselves cost 1/10th the price, and have dreadful cycle life, and increased chance of failure. I'm not saying that's what Schumacher is doing, but it's a bothersome trend that seems to be emerging elsewhere, and consumers are eating it up because they don't know any better.

Last edited by syndr0me; 07-23-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:04 AM   #52
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I've put two race days - 6 runs - on this pack so far in my T2'007 EU (one day 13.5, one day mod), and the results have been pretty good. It definitely has a little more rip than my Orions...I assume this has more to do with the type of cells than the 2S1P configuration.
The dimensions are pretty much identical to the Orion platinum. The balancing plug type & placement is a little annoying, but not a big deal in my book.
Also, I cut off the deans plug and installed some 4mm female banana tubes so I could easily swap between the Core and Orion .

As far as longevity...I've heard great things from Adrian but I guess we will see. I give it a thumbs up so far .
Old 07-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #53
Tech Champion

syndr0me - Schumacher is a business that has been developing and marketing r/c products for 27 years. If they sold junk to make a buck they would have disappeared a long time ago. I know where the cells come from. The supplier is a top company that you would recognise and be happy with. If my word is not good enought then by all means please buy something else.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #54
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
syndr0me - Schumacher is a business that has been developing and marketing r/c products for 27 years. If they sold junk to make a buck they would have disappeared a long time ago. I know where the cells come from. The supplier is a top company that you would recognise and be happy with. If my word is not good enought then by all means please buy something else.
adrian: are all core lipos going to come with the wiring? or will it have the same connection set up as the orion 4800? (sorry ahead of time if this was asked earlier )

- chris
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #55
Tech Lord

Quote:
I trust ya. :-) Thanks for the info. I'll give one a try when I burn* through my current batch of cheap cells.

* Some pun intended.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Hebiki - There are no plans for bullet connector version. In the US the deans plug is more common especially with the bashers and casual racers that are likely to adopt LiPo first.

That said, the deans plug is a VERY efficient and VERY safe and user friendly connector. I have an R/C Heli that runs on 22.2v (6s LiPo) with a 1500W motor (3x as much power as the best car BL motor) that pulls 100A all the time and it uses a deans plug. It dosent even get warm.
Attached Thumbnails
Core RC 5000mah Lipos...-img_1345.jpg  
Old 07-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #57
Tech Addict

Quote:
Hebiki - There are no plans for bullet connector version. In the US the deans plug is more common especially with the bashers and casual racers that are likely to adopt LiPo first.

That said, the deans plug is a VERY efficient and VERY safe and user friendly connector. I have an R/C Heli that runs on 22.2v (6s LiPo) with a 1500W motor (3x as much power as the best car BL motor) that pulls 100A all the time and it uses a deans plug. It dosent even get warm.
I use Deans exclusively, I have an electric MT with three sets(set Male/ Female) of deans running 5s lipo's (3s on one side and 2s other side in series). Using an eagletree micro data logger, I have seen amp draws off the battery of over 120 amps and wattage peaks over 1900watts in the same run. All this through one deans on the esc
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #58
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Every company goes through cost cutting phases. For all we know, it's Schumacher's turn. If the cells are that good, I bet every other manufacturer already knows about them anyway. I think disclosure is important at this stage in lipo's acceptance and Orion has set the standard at every point to date with their packs. I'll pass myself, nothing personal.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to stickman310

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemix View Post
Yes, these are hard cased in a shiny black plastic.
So they are not just shrink wrapped like the apogee ones?

Oh and syndr0me the venom plugs are sweet. Very good idea, and they look like they would be alot easier to get apart than the deans plugs, and still be just as good a connector and deans are.
stickman310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #60
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Every company goes through cost cutting phases. For all we know, it's Schumacher's turn. If the cells are that good, I bet every other manufacturer already knows about them anyway. I think disclosure is important at this stage in lipo's acceptance and Orion has set the standard at every point to date with their packs. I'll pass myself, nothing personal.
OK, if you do not get the Core just be sure to buy Orion, FlightPower(TrackPower) or Apogee packs....everything else is not on par with the cells used in the above backs. Orion uses Kokam cells and Core, TrackPower and Apogee use the other good brand