R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #511
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
just recieved my core rc udc-20 charger, nice unit, small and light and comes with adapters for tamiya plugs male and female, dean plug, transmitter battery plug (like i have on my lipo for my ko/jr) a plug for rcvr packs like on my align 600 and nitro car, and a couple i have never seen before even has a banana style for transmitters (plug on the side of the transmitter case)
i agree there appears to be a adapter for every purpose. Am I right that you plug the main output lead into the right hand side of teh charger at the Output + and - and then plug whatever adapter cable you need to suit the battery you want to charge into that main cable. When I plug the main lead in and connect the deans plug lead to it and then a battery to the deans plug and start the charger I get the bad connection error message

What are the 2 outputs (or inputs ?) on the LHS of the case ?

Are the wires heavy enough guage for the job do you think ?
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig

Last edited by heavy; 03-07-2008 at 04:30 AM.
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #512
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
i'm using this with my Mi3,

in the first picture you can see the cut out that is on the back side of the weight bar, that is for adding lead, they also make one now that does not have the cut out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=202121
Do you have a PN or a description for the plate that keys into the chassis shown in the first pic?

Also, how are you securing the lipo into the car. Are you taping the bottom plate to the lipo and then taping the battery in? I can't quite tell from your pictures . . . Thanks in advance!
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #513
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

hi all
sorry for asking as you've probably answered it a million times, but what is the safe cut off voltage for these core 5000 lipos?
thanks in advance!
poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #514
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

One output on the left side is alligator clips, the other has the input for the banana plugs.

I haven't seen and issue that the wire isn't a heavy enough gauge, It seems just fine for the applications intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy View Post

Old 03-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #515
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

3.0v per cell.

I usually keep mine at 3.2v per cell just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poop View Post
hi all
sorry for asking as you've probably answered it a million times, but what is the safe cut off voltage for these core 5000 lipos?
thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:22 AM   #516
Tech Regular

Hi Poop:
For the PACK - that's a 6.0v cutoff absolute minimum, and 6.4v is what we recomend for maximum cycle life and performance.
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Shawn Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #517
Tech Regular

dodgeguy:
I have yet to see any evidence from any brand that charging at more than 1C does NOT decrease the overall lifespan of the pack. LOTS of consistent evidence that it does indeed shorten the pack lifespan has existed for years.

You might want to note the actual time from plug-in to fully charged at 7A with your pack. Then kick the charge rate down to the known safe rate of 5A and note the time again from plug-in to fully charged. Most likely you'll see the 7A rate might be saving you 5mins or less of charge time, and at the expense of the lifespan of the pack, and with no other benefits at all.
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Shawn Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #518
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
just recieved my core rc udc-20 charger, nice unit, small and light and comes with adapters for tamiya plugs male and female, dean plug, transmitter battery plug (like i have on my lipo for my ko/jr) a plug for rcvr packs like on my align 600 and nitro car, and a couple i have never seen before even has a banana style for transmitters (plug on the side of the transmitter case)
Cool...more electronic gizzmo's to come check out.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #519
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Reudon, I'm pretty sure I can get you squared away, shoot me an email tomorrow and we'll discuss...

thanks, sent
Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #520
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer View Post
dodgeguy:
I have yet to see any evidence from any brand that charging at more than 1C does NOT decrease the overall lifespan of the pack. LOTS of consistent evidence that it does indeed shorten the pack lifespan has existed for years.

You might want to note the actual time from plug-in to fully charged at 7A with your pack. Then kick the charge rate down to the known safe rate of 5A and note the time again from plug-in to fully charged. Most likely you'll see the 7A rate might be saving you 5mins or less of charge time, and at the expense of the lifespan of the pack, and with no other benefits at all.
Shawn thanks for the info. I have decided to just go with 5amp charge. You are right that 7amps does not decrease that much time. The only reason I had gone to 7 with the orion was the place I was racing at did not have much time between rounds. But now I have more time. So 5amp is what I will stick with.

Thanks for the great customer service you guys provide.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #521
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

for the mod guys (4.5, 3.5, 2.5 etc)..........how long does it take to recharge between runs?
Old 03-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #522
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

Thank you for the information - very interesting.

How are the 3250 Cores holding up for 3.5 mod or similar brushed?

Thanks again.

www.toycarracingblog.com
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #523
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Do you have a PN or a description for the plate that keys into the chassis shown in the first pic?

Also, how are you securing the lipo into the car. Are you taping the bottom plate to the lipo and then taping the battery in? I can't quite tell from your pictures . . . Thanks in advance!

its the only base plate on the web site. www.ppdbillet.com if using the core lipo, you will need to need to file about 1 mm off the bottom of the bulkheads. i am using double sided scotch tape to secure the base plate to the battery and then taping the battery in. sorry about the crappy pictures, i'm no JB.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #524
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy View Post
i agree there appears to be a adapter for every purpose. Am I right that you plug the main output lead into the right hand side of teh charger at the Output + and - and then plug whatever adapter cable you need to suit the battery you want to charge into that main cable. When I plug the main lead in and connect the deans plug lead to it and then a battery to the deans plug and start the charger I get the bad connection error message

the two outs on the LHS of the case, and this is a guess, but the one that looks like a servo plug, would be for a temp sensor, (i've seen this type of sensor plug on other chargers) the other plug is obviously for a banana plug but i don't know if its input or output, i'm at the track now so i don't have my voltmeter to test to see if there is power there. possible for it to be either, but i'm thinking it is out put and maybe to plug another charger into or some other option.

can't help you with the error message, maybe you don't have the right battery selected, 2s, 3s etc.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #525
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Cool, thanks Sky. Im always looking for other options when it comes to mounting LiPos in the Mi3 with the Core. Right now I have lexan servo taped to the bottom that keys into the chassis.

Oddly enough, my stock foam car (save for the turnbuckles) is about 20g underweight with the CORE 5000. I have been running an orion with 120+ grams on the outside of it to balance it (taking it up to 1530 g or so! ), but I didn't have time to get the weight balanced on the car before practice yesterday. I thought the car would be realy tweaked feeling with all the weight unbalanced, but suprisingly I picked up a few tenths over my previous averages. I don't know if its the SP 13.5, or the CORE or the GT (first time out with any of them in the car) or the fact that I am trying Goetzs cleveland setup instead of the kit or McGoobers set up, but whatever it is, I like it and will only be adding enough weight to get to minium till I am proven that for ME I will get around the track faster with te car perfectly balanced.

FYI
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote