R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #406
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I want to use this pack in stadium truck, but need to make 20 minutes. Do you guys think it can?
I ran mine last weekend and with a 13.5, i took out around 900 mah in a 5 minute run. I think you could make the 20 minutes no problem with a 13.5. If you go up on motor, it would be pushing it.....
Old 01-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #407
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I can say the Core 5000 is the best lipo I have ever ran. As of lately, I have been playing in the dirt, and I was running 13.5 truck. My fairly new Orion 4800 was going flat around 2.5-3 minutes into run. I wasn't able to make a triple like I could the first 3 minutes. I threw in the Core for the last qualifier and 8 minute main - and I had no "flattening" problems. The car was consistent through and through. I am pretty excited.....
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #408
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I tried in a TC with my 13.5, now as my precursor I was geared fairly conservative and I ran 26 minutes before I cut off.

Off road I haven't tried yet (lack of car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo View Post
I ran mine last weekend and with a 13.5, i took out around 900 mah in a 5 minute run. I think you could make the 20 minutes no problem with a 13.5. If you go up on motor, it would be pushing it.....
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #409
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Adam,

Have you got anyone in Singapore ? That would be better as it's nearer too.

Tks.
kowkl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 AM   #410
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

We have the Core-RC 5000mah LiPo's in stock and ship worldwide.

Adam, sorry to steal your thunder.

Cheers,

Jeff @ SpeedtechRC.com
Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 AM   #411
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Steal on you theif

I never thought about west coast dealers...so there's your answer, speedtech can get you taken care of

Thanks Jeff
Old 01-31-2008, 06:37 AM   #412
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Has anyone cycled their pack on a GFX 35 lipo? Can you post some numbers.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #413
Tech Regular

GlassDr:
I agree, I don't like the wires out the end either. We're working on that :-)

Skruger:
Correct - open the case, no more warranty :-(

McGoo: Welcome to the world of REAL lipo packs!

Core 5000 Lipo pack: $139
Speed Passion GT ESC: $199
Speed Passion 13.5 motor: $79
Schumacher Mi3 touring car: $419

Running your touring car for 30 minutes straight of continual track practice:
Priceless

Hearing your tires scream as you run them all the way down to the cords in that 30 minute run:
BONUS!
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Shawn Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #414
Tech Rookie

Default RC 5000mAh Lipo

Anyone here has compared the SMC5000 Lipo with the Core 5000 Lipo pack. I wonder if there is any difference between these two packs.
O'Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #415
Tech Addict

Default ROAR Approval

The carpet nationals are about 7 weeks away,

is it safe to assume that there will be a number of different lipos approved before then?
Approved in the next couple weeks so people can buy and practice with them in advance?

Is is safe to assume all of the big names Orion, Trinity, Peak or Core have submitted batterys and will be approved? (if not you would think they would be rushing to change the product to get approved also that they were consulted as part of the rule change)
In other words if I were to purchase a lipo in a hard shell case from Orion, Trinity, Peak or Core, I will be able to run it in a ROAR event?

Also
1. a 5 minute race is going to drain about half the mah out of a 3250 battery thus I would need to put 1500-1600 mah back in befor the next race.
A 3amp 1C charger will do that in about 30 minutes or so. thus even a 1 amp charge would be sufficient to charge th battery befor the next heat.

2. If I were to take my voltmeter out and mesure the voltage on both the cells in my pack (using the balance jack) I could simply discharge the higher of the two until they matched and through the whole pack on a charger to top it off correct?

imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #416
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Brain View Post
Anyone here has compared the SMC5000 Lipo with the Core 5000 Lipo pack. I wonder if there is any difference between these two packs.
Me too. The SMC pack better have noticeably more punch etc... than the Core and every other pack on the market, or that whole SMC thread needs to go away and they need to stop the "ours is the greatest" smack talk.

"Someone" needs to post some data when they come out. "Someone" needs do comparison tests of many of the popular packs. I'm considering doing it... but need to round up some good test equipment etc. Maybe....
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #417
Tech Regular

imjonah:
I would agree that those are safe assumptions

GlassDr:
The "smack talk" will never go away from the car market, but I make a concious attempt to not participate in it every day.

This is how I would like folks to compare lipo packs:
I've got lipo (and Lion before it) experience in general dating back almost a decade now. I've been running lipo in cars since 2003, and helped develop a fantastically successful line of BL car power systems designed from the groud up around lipo power YEARS before lipo even sniffed the mainstream in the car market. I like, use, and personally support our CORE packs, and given the choice of anything out there, the CORE would be in my car regardless of my position here.

In the thread mentioned above, it's clear to me that they're just now learning the technology as they go, and in a lot of cases their users are "in the know" to a far greater degree than the folks selling/promoting/supporting the products.

I'd like to think that a customer would want to purchase a product from a company/staff that knows it's product and the industry inside and out, in order to accurately and fully support them and provide correct usage information - especially with the (undeserved) reputation lipo has had over the last few years, but maybe I'm wrong and this industry really is just "all about da hype"?
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Shawn Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #418
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Shawn,

Can you elaborate any on what we should be looking for in the Lipo's to determine what best fits our application? Escpecially what is making the power. Is it C rating, mah, max amps available (C & mah) or something else that drives the average voltage up?

I have seen it asked before and have not seen a clear answer as to what each of the inputs means to the end consumer.

Example, If I'm running something that needs max HP output, would a 5000 20C outperform a 3000 30C because of the higher amps available, or would the 30C rule? Or...is it something else totally independent that makes the average voltage of one better than the other, similar to the NIMH stuff.

Sorry if what I'm asking isn't clear, but I've tried several of the lipo's out there and haven't been able to get a feel for what is making one better than the other, speaking of max power only. Obviously, mah/runtime, customer service, reliability etc are givens.

My Speed Passion GT should arrive today, guess I should have ordered a Core to go with it to test myself.

Thanks for any clarification.
Stetler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #419
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Adam.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #420
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)