R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #196
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
lol . . .I think you meant Nexus lol

Can someone weigh a bare CORE 5000 as it comes out of the package?
277.6g
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #197
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That was my very first run with it.....so hopefully it will get better. I don't think the lap times hold much weight right now...we will see next weekend though....
Old 12-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #198
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo View Post
That was my very first run with it.....so hopefully it will get better. I don't think the lap times hold much weight right now...we will see next weekend though....
Speaking of weight...

What is the weight of your Mi3 with the Core? Is this with the stock bulkheads or LW stuff? Just looking for an average weight of the Mi3 with a Core/BL system installed.

All I know is the Core 5000 with a 13.5 geared around 4.8 or lower is stupid fast.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #199
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

LRP Sphere comp (no fan)
Spectrum micro
Carpet chassis
Carpet top deck
Orion 4800 (without weights its about 20g lighter than the CORE)
lowered front and rear towers
standard BH's
steel screws
Ti turnbuckles
Jaco prism wheels @60 mm (5 g/wheel lighter than the same size Parmas)
Orion 4800
Novak 13.5 ss
silver Alloy CVD's
DNA 1
PTx
98 g of lead on outside of the LiPo
aluminum c-hubs
aluminum 1* rear hubs

1475 g ready to race
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #200
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Speaking of weight...

What is the weight of your Mi3 with the Core? Is this with the stock bulkheads or LW stuff? Just looking for an average weight of the Mi3 with a Core/BL system installed.

All I know is the Core 5000 with a 13.5 geared around 4.8 or lower is stupid fast.
I had to add quite a bit of weight to a stock Mi3 with a Core to get to 53 oz.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #201
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I had to add quite a bit of weight to a stock Mi3 with a Core to get to 53 oz.
So did I....

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #202
Tech Champion

OK here's a question...

I love running the Core 5000 Lipo but want more info when I run it. Right now I am borrowing an ICE to charge it.

This is nice at the beginning of the day I charge it up...run. repeak run, etc. With the exception of the FMA Direct CellPro 4s is there any charger that can tell me how much juice is currently in the pack? The Cellpro 4s has a Fuel Gauge Mode which give you an idea of where the pack is at. It will say 60%, 85% or whatever.

I guess was looking if any other charger does this. That way I can see if I do need to repeak before a round or not.

==

On a side note can Schumacher suggest and/or sell specific adaptors for this balance plug or list specific chargers/balancers that work with their Core 5000? I realize people have said there is no need to balance but some chargers are balancing charger and work with the existing plug.

Might be a noob question/answer but I'm no Lipo noob :P

Last edited by Nexus; 12-04-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #203
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Just got my e-station902 in and this is a NIIICE piece of gear.
Nexus, you should check out
I've got ALOT of tinkering to do but I'll let you know how it goes.

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #204
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

jaybee is just a high dollar rc whore, always gotta have the best, me, i'm a cheap slut, go with triton jr from electrifly it doesn't have the fuel guage like the cell pro but it does give you the amount of mah put back. and you can get the equinox balancer if you what a balancer, you will need to trim the plug on the core to fit. i bought both used as a package for 50.00. normal price is like 89 for charger and 39 for balancer.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #205
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
jaybee is just a high dollar rc whore, always gotta have the best, me, i'm a cheap slut, go with triton jr from electrifly it doesn't have the fuel guage like the cell pro but it does give you the amount of mah put back. and you can get the equinox balancer if you what a balancer, you will need to trim the plug on the core to fit. i bought both used as a package for 50.00. normal price is like 89 for charger and 39 for balancer.
I'm like middle of the road or buy cheap when high rollers sell there stuff :P

I really don't want to trim/splice or do anything. Hopefully Schumacher can just suggest chargers/balancers that work directly with the existing plugs.

Otherwise I guess I'll stick with the ICE/Checkpoint stuff. But I still like balancing chargers :P
Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #206
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My recommendation is the ICE, or Checkpoint, as for a balancer I haven't found direct fit one, Shawn probably has a few up his sleeve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
I'm like middle of the road or buy cheap when high rollers sell there stuff :P

I really don't want to trim/splice or do anything. Hopefully Schumacher can just suggest chargers/balancers that work directly with the existing plugs.

Otherwise I guess I'll stick with the ICE/Checkpoint stuff. But I still like balancing chargers :P

Last edited by abailey21; 12-04-2007 at 03:31 PM.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #207
Tech Regular

I'll post my thoughts on ballancing when I get home tonight - prepare for the soapbox! LOL

Someone asked about the charger in the pic - that was a prototype from quite a while back that needed more help than it was cost effective to fix, so the company scrapped it. It has some minor issues, but does the job so I keep it in active use. One of it's minor issues it that it doesn't charge all the way to 8.4v - I like that for cycle life and near critical testing of suspect packs because it gives me a little extra safety cushion.

I'm a confirmed charger junkie, and have a bunch of protos and first production chargers I've helped with in some form or fashion from testing, development help, manual writing, and etc. My ICE production proto charger is actually backlit from the factory, and it was almost a year before I knew the production units didn't come like that! LOL.

I'll shoot out a list of my fave chargers for you when I get home too
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Shawn Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #208
Tech Regular

FYI:

The pack cells are VERY STRONGLY and directly double sided taped to the inside of the plastic case. DO NOT attempt to remove the case or the (limited as it is) warranty will be voided.

Another note on warranty:
As explained in the instructions and like almost all other lipo packs, the CORE packs are warranted for factory defects. Any issue is going to show up within 10 cycles, and most likely within the first 2 or three. We'll look at every issue on a case by case basis if they come up, but if the pack has been used beyond 10 cycles when an issue shows up it's extremely difficult to make a case for factory defect, and against user abuse (unintentional or otherwise).

One more IMPORTANT note on warranty:
I've had a few reports of pack voltage being WAY too low when using LRP Sphere TC ESCs even when set to lipo cutoff mode. Adam has one and I'll be looking at it tomorrow to see where it cuts a test pack off at. I don't really want to find that it's cutting too low, but if it is, there will have to be some fairly ugly announcements. For right now - if you're using a Sphere TC ESC - DO NOT run your packs all the way to the ESC cutoff please.
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Old 12-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #209
Tech Champion

Thanks for the info Shawn.

Waiting to hear what your say about chargers and stuff... The fact you have a factory backlit ICE angers me :P I want one and not some ebay hack.

Last edited by Nexus; 12-04-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #210
Tech Regular

OK, here is the list of "chargers I like and use" in no particular order:

The ICE was one of the first mass-market lipo chargers, and the new version with the updated charging amps remains a great value. Plus it gives you a ton of bells and whistles to play with if you're into that kinda stuff.

The Triton2 is and upgrade of the original Triton, and both have been mainstays for me for years now. A little more user friendly than the ICE, and not so many extraneous features.

The new Checkpoint (or " the racers' ice" as I call it) is very very cool, with some improved and expanded features. Good solid charger at a good value.

The Triton JR is another solid charger for the racer on a budget. Simplicity at a nice price.

I'm a big fan of any charger Hyperion makes. They have the AC/DC charger I've drooled waiting for for many years. Extreme value for the capabilities and features present here throughout the line. If you're shopping around right now - do yourself and your pocketbook a favor and make sure to check out and compare them to anything else you're looking at.

I'm also a fan of anything E-Station (Bantam) makes. They can be a bit pricey, but they are solid and quality units all the way through. If you like "maximum data overload" they might be your ticket.

The PolyCharge4 has been around a while but it still rocks! Even though the charge rate is 2.5A maximum, you get FOUR independent chargers in one box for about a hundred bones. Super simple, solid, and a sweet bang-to-buck ratio.

The AstroFlight 109 was the first "big pack and big amp" lipo charger. Not many lipo chargers will do 10amps even today, much less several years ago when these first came out. No bells and whistles here, just the basics and plenty of raw power on tap.

If you just have to have a charger with easy plug-and-play balancing, the E-Station or Hyperion stuff would be my pick. They sell adapters for everything (including the JST-EH for the CORE packs) that plug right into a port on the chargers.

What I look for in a charger:
Like I've said, I'm a charger junkie and I like all the above for various different reasons. I look for a few things when a new one comes out to help me decide if I have to have it or not. (well ok - I always seem to have to have it in the end LOL)

Charging amps:
More is better, but more amps cost more too. For racing packs (3200mah-5000mah) you want at LEAST the amps required to charge your packs at the full 1C rate. (for 5000mah, 1C = 5A. for a 3200mah pack, 1C = 3.2A) Most of the above will do at least 5 amps. A lower than 1C charge rate only means your pack will take longer to charge.

Cell count:
We're mostly only concerned with 2 cell (7.4v) packs here, and most chargers have at least a 3 cell max capability so not too much to worry about here.

Special features:
There is some really interesting things a charger can do these days. My Hyperion 0610i actually gives me an internal resistance reading of the battery after the charge is done! That feature alone just saved me HOURS of work assessing the CORE pack performance capabilities and cycle life. A few others have this as well, and I personally think it's a "must have" feature for the racer. The Checkpoint has a motor driver function that's really cool too - with a little manipulation and extrapolation you could have a mini dyno! I personally think balancing is a bunch of hooey, but for those who want it there are some nice choices available now, and more to come.

Price:
Chargers are a little odd when it comes to pricing. I've seen units for $300 with LESS capabilities and features than some $150 units. Make sure you do some serious comparison shopping among all brands and models you can find, compare capabilities and features, and ask about future upgrade capabilities as well before settling on a purchase. And remember - the airplane guys have been using this kind of stuff for YEARS, so don't limit your choices just because it comes from an airplane website/shop/section. Lipos are lipos regardless of what we put them in, so they all charge the same :-)
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com