Old 06-01-2007, 05:24 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

http://press.team-orion.com/press/av...am_quality.pdf
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hobbipro, you might want to take it easy with the charging at high amp rates. The lovely thing about Li-po and long run times, is that there is NO RUSH to charge them. You can charge at night before you head to the track, top em off before you race and be good for the day. Unless you race 20 times in one day, the pack wont near its lowpoint threshold, so where is the fire? Why do you need to charge at amp rates so high? Dude, just because someone (Kokam) posts numbers versus "the other guys", doesnt make it totally factual against Maxamps. Yes, they are excellent li-po manufacturers, yes, they are trustworthy, but dont shit on Maxamps. They may not be number one, but their prices and SELECTION makes them a damn close number 2!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Hobbipro, you might want to take it easy with the charging at high amp rates. The lovely thing about Li-po and long run times, is that there is NO RUSH to charge them. You can charge at night before you head to the track, top em off before you race and be good for the day. Unless you race 20 times in one day, the pack wont near its lowpoint threshold, so where is the fire? Why do you need to charge at amp rates so high? Dude, just because someone (Kokam) posts numbers versus "the other guys", doesnt make it totally factual against Maxamps. Yes, they are excellent li-po manufacturers, yes, they are trustworthy, but dont shit on Maxamps. They may not be number one, but their prices and SELECTION makes them a damn close number 2!
Maxamps doesn't reveal the source of its cells, like several other discount companies, which tells me they've got something to hide. Maybe they just don't want others to know because they had to go through all the cheap Chinese cells at their own expense to find the best ones. Maybe.

But, companies that don't reveal their source are living in relative ambiguity since LiPo use in cars isn't mature enough that people are demanding this information. I'm sure they're fine packs, but the difference in quality between Chinese cells and Korean cells is well-documented. At this stage of its use in R/C cars, that doesn't seem to matter all that much. It probably will as these things gain wider acceptance in racing, and people start pushing the cells a bit harder.

This topic has been discussed and investigated to death by the airplane/heli crowd, and we're clearly going to learn the same lesson on our own. Time will tell. In the meantime, enjoy your inexpensive packs, it sounds like they work great. Take care to charge and store them properly, and dispose of them properly if they become damaged.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok, now I have to drop the gloves. I looked at the Kokam Pdf and I dont see where they manufacture their cells. And lets face it, just because they say they make em one place, who is to say they originate there? I dont dispute Kokam cells are good, never once. I must say that Maxamps have been good to me, my car and peep it if you want, I clearly stated when my car got run over and NOTHING happened. If that isnt the absolute testament to durability, then what is? There were at least 100 people at the track at Gun Hill Road in the Bronx when it happened. I say that because I know there will be one naysayer. Again, Kokam might be "#1", but Maxamps is a damn close number two AND they have more mah choices. I dont store my pack, I leave it in the car. People put way too much into this li-po thing to the point where it causes a stomach ache.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

*deleted*...wrong thread...lol
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Here you go. Some good stuff.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/toytr...iPo-Safety.pdf

Read the overview. I'm tying to find the Toshiba batteries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...olymer_battery
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote